Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:05 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,364 times

Advertisements

I would love to own a Victorian home, maybe not a mansion, but something very ornately decorated. Very large paintings, heavy curtains, oriental rugs..the whole nine. I like dark wood and would like to incorporate that into the decor, as well.

It's a huge dream of mine to have a library in my home. A beautiful room with bookshelves that go to the ceiling, comfortable chairs/sofas, and a standing globe. My boyfriend would like to add chalkboards to this room, which I think may be a nice touch. Definitely need some plants and unique decorations.

I would like to have a beautiful garden, as well, with lots of exotic flowers. Definitely some birdbaths and maybe a fountain or something.

I've always dreamed about having a bathroom with a spacious jacuzzi, definitely composed out of some kind of beautiful stone or marble.

Maybe I've been creating too many houses in the Sims I can't help but love extravagent decorations.

So what about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Ok I will go first.
My dream home is to live in an old decommissioned light house. An old historical register lighthouse which Mariners depended on to navigate into port 100+ years ago. One where the old Fresnel lens still works which I would keep burning.

This home would be decorated with all nautical antiques. Since most old lighthouses are occupied by Ghosts I would prefer they find their peace and float out to sea with their memories.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Nothing really special-
It's about 20' wide and 56' long
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/2/1/3/2/2213247_1.jpg?1273870106000 (broken link)

And it's view out any port (window) can change everyday.
It has four cabins (bedrooms), four heads (bathrooms), a galley (kitchen), a very comfortable saloon (living room), a gorgeous al fresco dining area (if you have to ask, it's not for you).
It makes it's own electricity (three different ways- solar, wind, and generators), it's own water (and hot water), sanitizes it's black water (if you have to ask, it's not for you). It can move by internal combustion engine or mother nature- when she's cooperating. It even has A/C (in it's usual locale it doesn't need heat) and a washer/dryer combo!
Central vac, stereo, Surround sound, flat screens in all the cabins, a large one in the saloon, Sat phone, sat TV and internet. 2-way VHF radio- even GPS.

The front and rear don't need mowing, there's no hedge, and if you find the right anchorage (parking spot), no nosey neighbors.

Funny thing- it even comes with a steering wheel- and great brakes (anchor(s)).

Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok I will go first.
My dream home is to live in an old decommissioned light house. An old historical register lighthouse which Mariners depended on to navigate into port 100+ years ago. One where the old Fresnel lens still works which I would keep burning.

This home would be decorated with all nautical antiques. Since most old lighthouses are occupied by Ghosts I would prefer they find their peace and float out to sea with their memories.
Wow, what a fantastic idea! The interior architecture of a lighthouse would lend itself well to some unique decorating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Nothing really special-
It's about 20' wide and 56' long

And it's view out any port (window) can change everyday.
It has four cabins (bedrooms), four heads (bathrooms), a galley (kitchen), a very comfortable saloon (living room), a gorgeous al fresco dining area (if you have to ask, it's not for you).
It makes it's own electricity (three different ways- solar, wind, and generators), it's own water (and hot water), sanitizes it's black water (if you have to ask, it's not for you). It can move by internal combustion engine or mother nature- when she's cooperating. It even has A/C (in it's usual locale it doesn't need heat) and a washer/dryer combo!
Central vac, stereo, Surround sound, flat screens in all the cabins, a large one in the saloon, Sat phone, sat TV and internet. 2-way VHF radio- even GPS.

The front and rear don't need mowing, there's no hedge, and if you find the right anchorage (parking spot), no nosey neighbors.

Funny thing- it even comes with a steering wheel- and great brakes (anchor(s)).
I WANT IT! lol

Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post

I WANT IT! lol

Well, the victorian went out the window quickly!

It's really not a "dream home", it's my retirement home.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, the victorian went out the window quickly!

It's really not a "dream home", it's my retirement home.
In my imagination there's no reason I couldn't have both.

I think it's pretty cool - you'd never have to worry about annoying neighbors, there's beautiful scenery no matter where you look, and the environmental benefits are awesome.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
My dream retirement home is a two bedroom cottage with decent size rooms and key modern amenities on a large property filled with flower and vegetable gardens, lots of comfortable outdoor living spaces, an outdoor fireplace, hammocks under shade trees, a small saltwater pool, and a greenhouse. I want architectural details like dutch doors, carved window boxes, lead windows. I could to on and on.

I'd love to go on vacation to Carmel-by-the-Sea, California. It's an entire town designed after Hansel and Gretel style cottages.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok I will go first.

What a cool dream house!!!

My dream house is in the mountains with absolutely no sounds of anything but nature (plenty of birds, flowing water, wind in the trees, ahhhhhh).

It has big windows to take in the sweeping view and to let the gentle breezes flow through the whole house.

It's not a mansion, just a cottage, but with sleeping nooks scattered around for plenty of family gatherings or other overnight company.

It's also got a comfortable living room with a big wood stove for those cold winter nights, or just romantic nights with my honey

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
My dream home would be a very old style cottage - like an English Cottage with a thatched roof, and a very plain (but large) kitchen filled with old-style equipment like a wood fired cook stove, a cookin hearth, cabinets with curtains, maybe even a hand pump at the sink! LOL

The other rooms would be small in comparison because you would not be spending much time in them. In my world the kitchen is the center of activity of the home and most of the interaction occurs there. In fact, other than my computer time, I am virtually never in the living room at all.

Of course, the outdoors would be an English garden complete with many beautiful flowers, herbs and a large vegetable garden in season. Lots of fruit trees and of course, a working bucket well in the yard for both water and aesthetics. A nice white picket fence along the street.

Kind of like this....

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Oh that cottage is adorable.

I love the home we are in - it isn't perfect but it is the perfect house for us. I think it would be fun to have a vacation home in Maine on the water in a peaceful little historic village - I could stand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating