Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ditto. When is blond furniture coming back in?

My mom has really dark walnut cabinets in her kitchen; she likes them because they don't show dirt. I think they're dreary.
I have to agree because most of the kitchens I have been in don't have a lot of windows. Natural light is an issue. I admit I did tinker with the idea of going dark. I do like expresso. I have some furniture pieces that are dark but when doing something permanent I try to stay neutral. You can always add the wow factor with the counters and floor.

Blonde is nice and again a neutral. I did blonde tables in my finished basement with a white sofa. It has a beachy/costal feel. I think blonde is on its way back. Beachmouse provided a good example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Nice! that looks pretty darn good, not trying to be a negative nelly but I would have chose a different floor. Hardwood or a tan travertine would look awesome
Wood floor in a kitchen?
I dont think so.
1 leak and you're done.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Wood floor in a kitchen?
I dont think so.
1 leak and you're done.
Wood floors in a kitchen look awesome but I personally know two people that ended up with a destroyed floor when the dishwasher leaked and the other had a disaster with the water line to the fridge.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Wood floors in a kitchen look awesome but I personally know two people that ended up with a destroyed floor when the dishwasher leaked and the other had a disaster with the water line to the fridge.
I know several, also.
Wood floor in a kitchen is just not a good idea.
However, I've done this in several homes, and it always turns out beautifully!
Daltile Timber Glen Collection - Ceramic / Porcelain Tile - Cherry Wood Look 8"x24" - Timber Glen Series - Daltile - Tile Series

Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, blond furniture never went out. LOL I do wish Beachmouse hadn't provided that link. Or that I were rich.

Agreed about wood kitchens and floors. Recipe for disaster. I'd hate to see what a wood floor would look like after I'm finished coring, blanching, peeling, chopping, simmering and canning four or five canner loads of tomatoes.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, blond furniture never went out. LOL I do wish Beachmouse hadn't provided that link. Or that I were rich.

Agreed about wood kitchens and floors. Recipe for disaster. I'd hate to see what a wood floor would look like after I'm finished coring, blanching, peeling, chopping, simmering and canning four or five canner loads of tomatoes.
Yep, my kitchen sees heavy usage all year round, but during canning season?
Yikes!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
my aunt has had 2 homes built in Florida within the last 10 years, both homes she chose white cabinets. so it isnt that uncommon.

I say if your wife wants white, get white.....it is better to get what you like rather than whats in style today, because tomorrow it won't......so as long as it is something you like, who cares wether it is the trend or not.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
My poor clients apparently will never be able to sell their 100 y.o. Prairie Style home because of the kitchen renovation I designed for them. How stupid of me to suggest these horrible white cabinets as part of the overall design.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
If you want a wood look as a kitchen floor, I'd consider engineered hardwoods. We've got them in most of the house, and have had two occasions where the corner of our bedroom has gotten quite wet because of a clogged heat pump drain line. At first, it looked like there might be a fair amount of water damage, but over time, that corner has essentially healed itself and the only sign that something happened is that two of the boards are darker than they used to be. (Though that darkness is within the range of variegation for the floor as a whole.)

As for the Hey-Wake, you can find some deals on the 1950s era pieces if you're in the right place at the right time. We paid a little over $400 for the five drawer dresser from an antique store going out of business, and a little over $300 for a pair of the step end tables with drawers. In both cases, they were in almost mint condition; the dresser just needed a cleaning with GoJo because it had obviously come from the home of a smoker.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
My poor clients apparently will never be able to sell their 100 y.o. Prairie Style home because of the kitchen renovation I designed for them. How stupid of me to suggest these horrible white cabinets as part of the overall design.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Sorry, dont like the white in that kitchen.....I think I would have gone with something on the floor that matched the original woodwork a little more closely, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating