Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,117 times

Advertisements

I painted my kitchen this weekend and my husband helped. Unfortunately, the roller hit the ceiling in a coupl areas above the cabinets on the actaully ceiling. It is a noticeable green splotch of paint in 2 places. The first time was an accident, the second time I told him that I would do the rest.

My question is-how do I get the green paint off the ceiling without taking off the popcorn ceiling. And no, I can't afford to have the popcorn ceiling completely removed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
It's going to be easier to repaint the spots that accidentally got green than it would be to remove the dried green paint without damaging anything else.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,805,242 times
Keep in mind for next time you paint the second it hits an unwanted place, wipe it off right away. Otherwise the best way is to simply paint over it with what color the ceiling is.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
It is hard to match an older white ceiling, so make sure to go with a darker off white for a touch up. If the area isn't real big, you can use any craft type paint as well. It's cheaper and easier to match up.

The way houses seem to work.....if you keep the popcorn ceiling long enough....it will come back in style.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,124 times
Hi Sunnie,
You local home improvement store will have pop corn ceiling repair material ( also known as acoustic ceiling spray). You can take that material and make a thin paste of it and dab it over the green spots by placing it on the end of a paint brush or sponge. If the paint is dark green you can mask it with some white acrylic paint first by dabbing it on in the same way before you apply the acoustic/popcorn material. By nature the new material will be very close to the color of the surrounding acoustic/popcorn ceiling material,but, due to age it may be brighter/whiter.Its cheap and water based and it works!

btw the repair material is not "sticky" like paint; so if you get it on your new paint job,it will wipe right off!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Use spray Kilz.
Back in the day when I had to deal with popcorn ceilings, that's what my painter used. Don't spray it real heavy but, use multiple light coats, the color is almost an exact match to the drywall slurry.
But, you can throw that out the window if they have been painted white at sometime or another.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
You could remove the popcorn yourself-just spray with water and scrape. It's messy and not fun working over your head though. We have painted all of our ceilings-most are a lighter shade of the wall color. I LOVE the look. If you don't want to do that, just get some white craft paint, mix in a drop or two of black to dull the color and touch it up.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,749,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You could remove the popcorn yourself-just spray with water and scrape. It's messy and not fun working over your head though. We have painted all of our ceilings-most are a lighter shade of the wall color. I LOVE the look. If you don't want to do that, just get some white craft paint, mix in a drop or two of black to dull the color and touch it up.
wow is that really all it takes?!?!? I have a textured ceiling (in my hallway of all places!) I don't think it's popcorn i believe it's called orange peel??? I was going to resign myself to painting it ceiling white (it's currenlty a very dingy looking beige/yellow color) and calling it a day but if I could get a nice smooth look without having to put in a new ceiling I would be a VERY happy girl!!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,805,242 times
popcorn ceiling is pretty heavily textured and is simple to remove with just water and a scraper. I can't say i've heard of an orange peel ceiling.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
popcorn ceiling is pretty heavily textured and is simple to remove with just water and a scraper. I can't say i've heard of an orange peel ceiling.
Around here an orange peal is a knocked down popcorn ceiling-swirly patterned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating