Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful project -- and great photos! I've got a feeling this is going to be one of my favorite threads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
This is a very awesome project, and I really love you put the money you got from your grandfather back into his house, that is a touching sentiment. Please keep us updated, you have me glued!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,062 times
Thats awesome. Looks like you have a nice view too. I like the land.

And that small house sure looks like it has A LOT of potential. Good luck man and I look forward to seeing your updates.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,880 times
What year was this house built?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:37 AM

16 posts, read 95,316 times
Default Windows

The scale and placement of the windows on the addition does not match the original house. You lost the opportunity to fix that when you replaced the windows and resided.

Great project though and good pix.

Mark

Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM

259 posts, read 823,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You sure are going to town on that one. What a cute house. I bet it's going to be showplace when your done. Don't wear yourself out in the first week. It's going to be a long time to finish. Keep us posted.
Thanks! I am trying not to. Keeping busy with the farm and equipment keeps my mind busy enough, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Looks like you've got your hands full . . . good for you for taking it on.
p.s. never seen a blue toilet or blue sink before . . . or wallpaper like that. Although I should mention we did have pinkish/brownish toilet in our house growing up.
Thanks! Hopefully the blue will go soon, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Dang, you're fast.
Are you putting down wood floors?
Thanks! I would love too, just no sure on cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I had the same thought as Sanrene - what about putting down hardwood floors, at least in the main floor? They'll last longer than the carpet and won't date the structure - plus you can use rugs to give definition and character to the rooms. Due to extreme water damage in an old house of mine, I took it as an omen to get rid of as much carpet as possible and installing hardwood floors made a world of difference in the look of the place.
I have to say, I wish I were as handy as you are! Unfortunately, I just come up with the ideas and end up having a contractor implement the majority of them. I'm enjoying the pictures, so keep us posted! You've done a ton so far!
Thanks! I will have to check into wood floors. Always think of them as really expensive. But like you said they will be better for the long haul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Whole lotta work... tell me you left the bathroom tile intact
Thanks! lol, I can carefully remove it if you'd like it and send it your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by margarets1 View Post
great progress! i'm envious. good luck!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Love your house and it seems you are unleashing it's potential. I wish I had the skills to do work like you are. We recently bought a home built in the 1960's and it needs all the updating possible. Having a hard time coming up with ideas - getting no where fast.
In fact, if my light fixture isn't exactly the same as yours, it's a close cousin
Best of luck on your reno - keep posting updates!
Thanks! I am not really good with ideas either. Just good at tearing stuff apart!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
What a wonderful project -- and great photos! I've got a feeling this is going to be one of my favorite threads!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
This is a very awesome project, and I really love you put the money you got from your grandfather back into his house, that is a touching sentiment. Please keep us updated, you have me glued!
Thanks! He lived for me and my sister so it was the least I could do to honor him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Thats awesome. Looks like you have a nice view too. I like the land.
And that small house sure looks like it has A LOT of potential. Good luck man and I look forward to seeing your updates.
Thanks! It sits on part of my grandpas old farm so its nice to see vacant land instead of subdivisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
What year was this house built?
I am not sure. I will have to ask some relatives. I know there is a date engraved in the garage floor but that was put in way after the house was built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFlorida View Post
The scale and placement of the windows on the addition does not match the original house. You lost the opportunity to fix that when you replaced the windows and resided.
Great project though and good pix.
Mark
Thanks. At 18 I wasn't really into placement of windows and such. I just redid everything how my grandpa did it/had it. I think it turned out nice .

Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 PM

259 posts, read 823,158 times
Haven't done a lot due to cutting grass in the fields and working on the backhoes and front end loaders. Got the living room and bedroom cleaned up. In the bathroom there is a door with a stairway that leads to the basement that I am going to get rid of. The bedroom is on the other side of the stairs so I am removing the stairs to the basement and going to build a closet where they are. I figure even if it only can have a 36-40" some door due to the stairs going to the upstairs its still better then having no closet at all in the bedroom. But more then likely the inside opening will be larger as I can go under the upstairs stairs a little more. Hopefully the closet will be started this week as I got the wood earlier this week. Here is a little MS Paint drawing I did real quick so you can kind of see what I mean.

And how it sits now.

Looking into the bathroom from the dining room. The door on the right leads to the basement.

Stairs before.

Stairs now.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,512 times
Quote:
I am not sure. I will have to ask some relatives. I know there is a date engraved in the garage floor but that was put in way after the house was built.
See if your county assessor has a website that lets you look up property information. My county's website shows the year built, square footage, a rough outline of the house... also, I would contact the city/county and see if they need to send anyone by after you finish the improvements. I read a news story online recently that some local govts are using Google Maps to find people with unregistered pools - important thing being that if the property improvement didn't have a permit applied for, and if the improvements aren't assessed properly, you could be hit with a huge tax bill some point down the line.

As far as wood floors, how about that interlocking pergo wood flooring? I watched my father install it a few years ago and it looks great, didn't look that hard to do.

Also, you might consider peel and stick vinyl tile. It's cheap, rugged, you can get some good looking stuff, and only needs a bit of prep work. Heck, if you put it on some sort of removable base (some soft of plastic sheeting under it, haven't really looked into it so I can't say for sure) you may be able to rip up the entire floor in under an hour in the future and put down a new floor in no time. Plus, with that vinyl tile, you don't need a tile cutter, or grout/masonry stuff, you just need a pair of scissors or a box knife and some time.

Also, I would highly suggest putting some insulation in the ceiling, and putting carpet (with plenty of padding) on the top floor. That will greatly reduce any noice from upstairs.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
...In the bathroom there is a door with a stairway that leads to the basement that I am going to get rid of.

The bedroom is on the other side of the stairs so I am removing the stairs to the basement and going to build a closet where they are. I figure even if it only can have a 36-40" some door due to the stairs going to the upstairs its still better then having no closet at all in the bedroom. But more then likely the inside opening will be larger as I can go under the upstairs stairs a little more.

Hopefully the closet will be started this week as I got the wood earlier this week.

Here is a little MS Paint drawing I did real quick so you can kind of see what I mean....
I'm a little confused on where everything is. Could you make a before and after drawing including both floors?

They say that Google's SketchUp is a great floor plan drawing tool and it's free. I use an early version of an old program called 3D Home Architect and haven't tried SketchUp. Either program will let you see the plans in 3D.

What are the dimensions on your bathroom?

Mark

Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Default Front of House

It appears the front of your house (the side with the five windows, three on top, two on the bottom) is facing forward in this picture and the addition is on the right side of the house as you're driving up the driveway from the main road. In other words, this is the view approaching your house as guests arrive up the driveway.

If that's the case, your only entry door is on the back of the house. Is that right?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
My small house remodel project-frontofhouse.jpg  

Last edited by MarkInFlorida; 08-08-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating