Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM

259 posts, read 822,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Okay. I understand now. Thanks!
No problem! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFlorida View Post
I understand about the budget for a porch for now.
In the future, consider that a porch can be located very close to a street. Depending on the overall setting, it works.
Some of the most beautiful historic districts have porches very close to the street. It's quite charming.
If I had the extra money the porch design he made would sure be something I would be doing now. I really like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I think a very pale greyish-blue would would be much better in place of where the other poster has put red. (Which is the outside of the living room?)
Yeah it may need some different colors down the line. I just went with all white when we redid it as it was just easy to do a solid color siding. Where he has red would be the entry way. I have thought of adding shutters to the house, not sure though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
BTW, thanks for posting the pictures. I just love to see pics of old houses. BTW, I personally LOVED the retro bathroom and door handles on all of the cabinetry.
No problem. I love watching project threads so I thought I would start my own. And you may be one of the few to love the bathroom, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can understand why it's a back burner issue for the OP. The porch will be purely aesthetics because it won't be used being so close to a busy road.
Yeah its a busy 2 lane road now so I couldn't really see myself outside sitting on the deck, though maybe late at night. But it sure does make the house look really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Got some demo done this morning.

I am not sure what the do with the cabinets between the vanity and toilet. They kind of make the room closed in I think. But if I remove them there is going to be a square box that runs floor to ceiling still on the wall. As inside is a vent pipe coming up from the basement.

I have thought of taking the cabinets out and extending that box to the right and left the width of the cabinet that's in there now. It won't just look like a square box coming out of the wall but mabe a vent or somethings behind it. Then hanging shelves off it that are open to open up the space.

Here's the barn I redid when I redid the house. The left "lean-to" wasn't closed in. There was no garage door on that side and the walls on that side where just wood that had wide slats in them. It was used as a "corn crib." Also the right "lean-to" wasn't even there. The barn use to end on the right side of the small service door. I added the right "lean-to" to make the barn more symmetrical.

And how it sits in relation to the house.

The small building between the garage and barn is a well house. There use to be a barn that is bigger then the other one there that was the horse barn. But it was getting old and wasn't worth redoing so I just tore it down. Also in the middle of the circle driveway is the pine tree which will hopefully be coming out this fall or next spring as I have a huge flag pole that I will be putting in there.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Full Porch
[IMG][/IMG]

Small Porch
[IMG][/IMG]

No Porch

The color obviously could be changed, but NO SHUTTERS! Fake shutters look God-awful and it is not appropriate to the architecture of the house.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 PM

137 posts, read 614,763 times
Well, I'd definitely have some porch!

wagonproject, thanks for sharing this with us!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 PM

You and me both. I really like the full porch.

Got a little done yesterday.

And how it sits right now.

Found this when I removed the vanity mirror from when they had renovated the bathroom. Thought it was pretty cool. "Listen to Priscilla unless Al is home." My grandma was Priscilla and my grandpa Al.

The hole in the floor is what they used as a laundry chute. The door on the vanity opened and you threw your clothes into a basket in the basement. Also that huge pipe floor to ceiling is a vent that I am going to try to put in the wall if I can. If I can't ill have to build something around it. And the pipe coming out of it is for the sink. I am going to cap it on the tall pipe and just run it straight down from the sink and make a turn in the basement to put it back into the big pipe.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Thanks so much for the update and the photos! I love what you did with the barn!!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks! And yeah I wish my grandpa could see the barn now.

Got all the drywall off except behind the toilet. Hope to get the toilet/tub out this weekend and go look for a new vanity/tub/toilet. And hopefully start dry walling the rooms here soon.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Wow! You have done so much work so far. Love seeing before and afters. Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I love the photos too. Please post an update!!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 10,541 times
Great job! Its getting my ready for the work ahead on my new home - a serious fixer-upper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating