Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 AM

12 posts, read 126,686 times

Advertisements

So i'm trying to go for kinda "brown" living room style. I did some painting and don't like the way it came out at all, so i stopped am going to redo it. Was wondering if i could get some advice on wall color. I'm up for maybe an accent wall depending on what you think based on my wall decor as of now. Here are some quick pics i took this morning. Thanks for the time!

Terry...
Attached Thumbnails
Bachelor needs advice on living room paint color-photo5.jpg   Bachelor needs advice on living room paint color-photo6.jpg   Bachelor needs advice on living room paint color-photo3.jpg   Bachelor needs advice on living room paint color-photo2.jpg   Bachelor needs advice on living room paint color-photo4.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,700 times
I think the brown looks pretty good. If you want to go with another color, misted green from Benjamin Moore is a great blue/green neutral. This color goes great with browns. BM also has a color called wedgewood grey, but it's more like a robins egg blue.

If you don't have alot of light coming in, you could go with a lighter color to make the place look bigger. Manchester tan is a great very light beige and it goes well with greenbrier beige which is more of a deep latte. If you do your walls in greenbrier beige and all the trim in manchester tan, it looks really great.

I think a light, neutral blue would look great with your furnishings and photos and would make all of your brown accessories pop.

Silver Sage from restoration hardware is a very very popular color and is right along the lines of the neutral silvery blue I was talking about. I know many guys and girls right now that have it all over their home. It goes with pretty much anything. I guess it's the new "in" color. It's also all over the restoration hardware's catologs.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM

thanks for the response. the light blue, i see it with brown alot but it kinda scares me. I'm not sure i'm ready to make that leap. I like the brown's you mentioned. I just wasn't sure of the browns for the tv wall. I think i'm gonna go somewhat light and maybe even get different drapes that are maybe more dark than the light ones i have.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Overall I think it looks great right now and I agree with the previous poster on the television wall color. The couch wall (brown) I may have gone with a shade or two lighter of the brown but it still looks very good as it is. Good luck with your painting.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 AM

thanks...i still have to mount the tv and maybe find something to place above it. I'm also kinda up in the air on the metal art piece on the wall beside the 3 picture piece above the couch. I couldn't seem to come up with something to put there because the space on the floor is somewhat supposed to be a "dining room/table" area but i just wouldn't use it. I was thinking maybe a recliner of some sort. I think i might get rid of the little clock and put a bigger clock where the brown iron metal art piece is. For some reason, it just doesn't seem to come together. That side of the wall and room beside the couch...i'm not sure what to do there. i don't like the plant but it was something i had from my last apartment. any ideas...feel free.

Now for the painting do you think i should make an accent wall. Should i go very light on the TV all and then a shade or 2 darker on the other 3 walls. Or maybe the opposite?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
One of the problems is that the trim color is not consistent within the same room. That jumped out at me immediately.

A bright accent color on the kitchen wall might be nice but if you do that the wall with the TV should match the opposite dark brown wall. You then risk having a very dark room if lighting is not emphasized. In theory as currently painted the one dark wall already IS your accent wall.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
I think your place looks good. You might want to go with a warmer brown if you want to stick with the brown idea. If you want to branch out, there are a lot of really great creamy yellows that would lighten things up a bit.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
if you want brown aqua and light yellow may work for you, also maybe try a netual medium brown.
even 2 browns together might work together!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I immediately wanted to see the back kitchen wall a citron green. Make all your trim consistant, and I like the white LR wall as it is.
You may be questioning your brown because it's warm and the other browns in the room are cool. This sort of thing bothers me a little with colors.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 PM

leave the tv wall white.....hmmm. it's yelling at me everyday. can't take it plain white like that. i saw this brown in this pic. what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Bachelor needs advice on living room paint color-hshui105-1after-living-room_lead.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating