Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 PM

322 posts, read 937,733 times

Advertisements

Who else has gone through this?
Three times since I bought my house I have had trade workers in my home to do work: floor repair, plumbing, etc. And two of those times, something has gone missing in my home and the only logical conclusion was one of the tradesmen or their crew took the item (intentionally or accidentally) and it's hell getting it back.
In one instance, an extension cord was removed from a bedroom. The reasons why this caused suspicion were:
1. The cord was in a different room than the one that was being worked on.
2. The cord was plugged into an appiliance (in-use).
3. The outlet the cord was plugged into was a behind a dresser, and the only way to get to that outlet was to move the dresser.
After contacting the company, they claimed a crew member thought it was their cord (riiiiiiiight). They said they would return it the next day. Well, the next day there was no cord. So I called the company again and this time they claimed they did return the cord. I had specified for them to leave it on my back patio; they claimed they put it in my mail box. After much back and forth they finally sent me a check to reimburse the cost of the cord.
Now, I'm in another situation where something went missing. I had a flashlight with a rechargable battery (part of a cordless power tool set) sitting in my kitchen on the start of a 3-day job. The next morning, I noticed the flashlight was missing. I mentioned it to one of the head guys but he never got back to me. Now, a day after the job has been finished, the flashlight is still missing. Unlike the previous incident which was with a national chain, this time it was a local company.
Please share any similar stories you've had with people who you trusted to do a good job fixing your house and decided to leave with a souvenier. I'd like to feel that I'm not alone in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
The thing is, all of these things are items a contractor would often use during the course of their work, so it's not a total surprise that when they cleaned up at the end of the day that they grabbed something by accident. Yeah, it can be a pain to get someone to come back out after the job is done. They're scheduled to be someplace else all day and your request throws a wrench in that schedule, plus the cost of gas to get to your house exceeds the value of your items.

I have to ask though--is it worth all the time you put into it, to get these things back? What does an extension cord cost? $10? Maybe this is one you want to just let go and worry about bigger things.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
I guarantee you the light and battery cost more than ten bucks! I'd contact the head guy on the job again and with no satisfaction, i'd call the owner next.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,549 times
As far as I know I've never lost anything to any contractors. Sometimes they leave things here though. It is hard to keep track of everything on a job and the more contractors that are on the premises, the less likely they are to know for sure whether or not something came in with them. I would not assume anyone intentionally took something.

Last edited by Decorchallenged; 08-23-2010 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Additonal text

Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
As far as I know I've never lost anything to any contractors. Sometimes they leave things here though. It is hard to keep track of everything on a job and the more contractors that are on the premises, the less likely they are to know for sure whether or not something came in with them.
I'm noticing that too . They've also been great about loaning us tools and supplies over the weekend. I was honestly kind of shocked by how trusting they have been. We are semi-DIYers and have fun working on some of the easier projects ourselves. Next week they'll drop off the tile saw and supplies and we get to tile our floor.

Quote:
I would not assume anyone intentionally took something.

I agree that a power cord and a flashlight could easily be taken by mistake. I notice that most of the crews are pretty good about labelling things. If you don't want them using your items, put them out of sight/reach. If you are ok with them using things on-site follow their lead and mark everything with your name.

When I read the title of this thread I thought you were talking about outright theft. You know, cash, jewelry, electronics.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Default Update

I called the owner of the local company yesterday and he said he knows about the flashlight and will be back later today to return it.
I usually give the benefit of the doubt when something like this happens, but in the case of the extension cord, it felt very unsettling. They had to actually enter the room, move the dresser, and unplug the cord from the outlet and the appliance to use it. My personal philosophy is: "if you need to borrow something, ask first. If no one's around to ask, then remember to put it back where you found it".
I guess I was just frustrated because this was the 2nd time in a row something of mine went missing after having people in my house.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I called the owner of the local company yesterday and he said he knows about the flashlight and will be back later today to return it.
I usually give the benefit of the doubt when something like this happens, but in the case of the extension cord, it felt very unsettling. They had to actually enter the room, move the dresser, and unplug the cord from the outlet and the appliance to use it. My personal philosophy is: "if you need to borrow something, ask first. If no one's around to ask, then remember to put it back where you found it".
I guess I was just frustrated because this was the 2nd time in a row something of mine went missing after having people in my house.
Glad to hear it sounds like your issue has been resolved.

How did your project(s) turn out?

We are about 1/2 way done with an addition and major (as in down-to-the-studs) kitchen remodel. Not having a kitchen is really starting to wear on me. That and the compound the drywallers are using smells vaguely of fish. I'm both hungry and slightly nauseous .

Old 08-24-2010, 04:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
If it was the second time with the same contractor or worker I would call the police. The frustration is understandable in any case.

Speaking from the trades end. I have been told, and I tell my men:
Do not borrow anything from anyone.
If you need it, go buy it.
If you borrowed it from a fellow carpenter - return it before being asked where it is, do not make someone come looking for their property.
Now that you know you need it - buy it tonight so you never need to borrow one again.

We face discharge if we even take anything from the trash.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Glad to hear it sounds like your issue has been resolved.

How did your project(s) turn out?

We are about 1/2 way done with an addition and major (as in down-to-the-studs) kitchen remodel. Not having a kitchen is really starting to wear on me. That and the compound the drywallers are using smells vaguely of fish. I'm both hungry and slightly nauseous .
It went great! Got brand new looking floors. I kinda know what you mean about the kitchen because we moved all of our furniture in there during the job, so we couldn't really cook or use it. Hope the fish smell goes away soon!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
If it was the second time with the same contractor or worker I would call the police. The frustration is understandable in any case.

Speaking from the trades end. I have been told, and I tell my men:
Do not borrow anything from anyone.
If you need it, go buy it.
If you borrowed it from a fellow carpenter - return it before being asked where it is, do not make someone come looking for their property.
Now that you know you need it - buy it tonight so you never need to borrow one again.

We face discharge if we even take anything from the trash.
The local co. was a different contractor. They did exceptional work, and other than the flashlight issue, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

My parents had a different incident with a plumber who seemed to asked them for all of the tools and equipment he needed for a job: screws, wrenches, drill bits, etc. I thought "as the professional, shouldn't he have all of this stuff available in his truck/shop?" When he asked for them to rent a welder, that was the last straw!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating