Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I disagree that runners are dated. It really depends on the home and the look you are going for. Personally I would go for a runner - we actually had one put in about 4 weeks ago. We went from all carpet on the stairs to a runner after I refinished the steps and treads (PITA!!)

Don't limit yourself to actual runners either. Any good carpet place can cut and bind any carpet into a runner for you. We found a carpet that my wife really liked and the place ordered it, cut it for us, bound it and installed it. It looks very professional - we even have a turn at the bottom and they matched the pattern perfectly at the turn so it looks completely seamless.

A pattern will be more forgiving with lint, etc, but a plain carpet will look less formal if your house has a less formal feel to it. We went with a brownish background with a slight pattern that has been pretty forgiving so far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Thanks for the pros and cons list. I hate to vacuum both staircases and am trying to get away from as much carpeting as possible. However, I am afraid that someone will fall down the steps. Since we have a dog and a cat, the hair can be impossible in carpet. I think we will probably go with the runner.
Bare stairs aren't slippery with bare feet. I'm all in favor of no shoes in the house. Less dirt gets tracked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I have looked at lots of patterns and unfortunately, I always go to gaudy. We selected a really nice pattern but DH likes the darker blue, which will show every bit of dog and cat hair, so we are really looking carefully at what we select. An oriental pattern might work. Thanks.
Oh, no! Don't buy a pre-manufactured runner! No patterns!

Have a carpet company cut and bin the edges of REAL carpet for custom runner.

Go with a berber or another style with a low pile like berber.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Apparently, this is going to be a major production to find what we are looking for or at least what we think we want. Our LR and DR furniture is all Victorian tiger oak and so we need something formal for the stairs. Family room is traditional but very comfortable but the back staircase has to match the front. We have been told that since we have two landings on the front staircase that it will be difficult to match identically. I guess we will spend part of the weekend at a few carpet places. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 AM

238 posts, read 617,288 times
i'd be interested in what you eventually go with perhaps some pics. same situation. at the time it involved more time than we had to spend, so we just put some tacky treads so the new pup could get used to navigating steps. fortunately, from lr, the treads are so thin, you can't see them. we didn't put them on the bottom front landing and the 3 steps below that.

why do the front and back steps have to be the same? can you see both at same time? just curious

Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
I just wanted to throw in that I have slipped and fell on bare stairs while carrying my baby. It was horrible. I took the brunt of the fall thankfully, but I could barely walk for a few days and was badly bruised. I was afraid of the stairs after that. (We have moved since) I hope you find a good solution.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Bare stairs aren't slippery with bare feet. I'm all in favor of no shoes in the house. Less dirt gets tracked in.

Oh, no! Don't buy a pre-manufactured runner! No patterns!

Have a carpet company cut and bin the edges of REAL carpet for custom runner.

Go with a berber or another style with a low pile like berber
Why??? This would have looked stupid in our old house where we put in a patterned runner, pre-manufactured.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why??? This would have looked stupid in our old house where we put in a patterned runner, pre-manufactured.
You're tastes are different from the majoriy of homeowners today. Sounds like the OP's might be too.

I'm just playing it safe and putting out the opinion of the majority (i.e., future homebuyers) so she can weigh her options.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I absolutely hate vaccuming any carpeting on stairs but IF I were to go with a runner, I was always a fan of the seagrass ones. Of course, I live near the ocean, so take it with a grain of salt!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Thanks for all of your suggestions. What I had hoped to be an easy task is turning into a major ordeal. Hopefully I will have something by the holidays.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I'd use a runner with the mounted brass rods holding it down for that elegant touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating