U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:22 PM

12,053 posts, read 17,707,039 times

Advertisements

Our hardwood floors are finished and we need to put something on the staircases. DH likes treads and I like the runners. Does anyone have a preference or do you have one and wish you had the other? Just looking for opinions right now. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM

3,066 posts, read 4,516,048 times
I have carpet. That makes them safer if you fall down them, plus the cushioning reduces the impact on your body as you go up and down.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 PM

256 posts, read 1,150,003 times
I think the treads look hideous, but it is strictly a matter of personal taste.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:28 PM

43,012 posts, read 79,738,948 times
Totally agree. Treads are ugly. Tell your husband that he doesn't have a say in the matter.

Go with carpeting, runner, or leave the wood bare. I like bare wood steps because they're super easy to keep clean.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 AM

Thanks for your replies. DH wants some of the wood to show; our stairs are slippery so something has to go on them. I think a runner.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 AM

4,138 posts, read 10,881,593 times
We've had all four: bare, treads, runners, full carpeting. All four have their places depending on the look you want to achieve and the aesthetics.

Pros and cons in a nutshell--

Bare stairs: Pros - easy to clean with dustpan and brush or vacuum, look crisp and simple. Cons - noisiest, look out of place and bulky if surrounded by rooms that have wall-to-wall carpeting. The visual of a long "run" of continuous wood can be either a pro or a con.

Treads: Pros - easy to clean, softens the visual long run of wood yet allows the wood to shine. Cons - can appear "choppy" to the eye if the color of the wood and the color of the treads are in high contrast with each other.

Runners: Pros - extends the eye up the stairway for a smooth visual, allows some of the wood to remain in view, can "shorten" or "lengthen" the appearance of the stairway (depending on the color(s) of the runner). Cons - not as easy to clean as above (carpeted crease between step and riser is a great collector of dust and dirt).

Full carpeting: Pros - allows the stairway to blend with nearby carpeted rooms, quietest of all. Cons - hardest to clean (step/riser crease, around the base of the balusters), may look odd if surrounded by rooms that are not carpeted.

As examples:
One of our houses was was a 1920s gambrel with a pine wood floor in the foyer, and the L-shaped stairway had been painted all white (steps, risers, rails, balusters). Had the stairway been left in natural pine we would have left them bare. But all the white was "blinding", so we added treads to soften the white.

Our current house has an oak stairway, but it's fully carpeted. Makes sense since most of the rooms around it are wall-to-wall carpet. However, we're tearing out the wall-to-wall and putting in wood floors. That means we'll also take the carpet off the stairs and use either treads or a runner -- that decision hasn't been made yet - it's impossible to visualize until there's all wood on the floors and stairs and then we'll be able to see whether we need to "chop up" the flow with treads or smooth the flow with a runner.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the pros and cons list. I hate to vacuum both staircases and am trying to get away from as much carpeting as possible. However, I am afraid that someone will fall down the steps. Since we have a dog and a cat, the hair can be impossible in carpet. I think we will probably go with the runner.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM

10,675 posts, read 10,173,834 times
Bare floors for sure especially with having nice new floors. Runners are very dated and treads i agree look awful.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 47,825,542 times
I agree that wood stairs can be slippery and dangerous. We had wood stairs in our old house and chose a runner. We used one that was an oriental rug pattern to hide everything. It was super easy to keep clean with our vacuum attachments-used the crevice tool in the crease. The nice thing about the patterned runner is that it is supposed to look worn so it will look good for a long time (we still own that house and are renting it out).

Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM

I have looked at lots of patterns and unfortunately, I always go to gaudy. We selected a really nice pattern but DH likes the darker blue, which will show every bit of dog and cat hair, so we are really looking carefully at what we select. An oriental pattern might work. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating