Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,937 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am buying my first house, and while I'm waiting to see if the sellers accept my offer, I am thinking of all the painting etc, that I want to do to it! (I know, I'm getting ahead of myself, but just humor me. haha)

So I like the kitchen except for the hideous wallpaper adorning it. Anyone have any ideas what color I should paint the walls? You cant really see the fine detail of this wallpaper, but I assure you, its not pretty. haha. Its got pictures of men pushing wheelbarrows around and other weird things..

Should I just paint it a light green? The hardware on the cabinets is a dark green, but I could always paint them or get new ones. I am probably going to paint the island as well, so what do you think would look good?

Thanks in advance!
http://content.goberkscounty.com/dyna_images/mls/316/5743851/5743851-03-alt.jpg (broken link)
http://content.goberkscounty.com/dyna_images/mls/316/5743851/5743851-04-alt.jpg (broken link)

ps. also notice the paneling to the right of the second picture. bleh. I dont know if I am going to paint that or not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Do you like warm autumnal colors? The latest thing is to look at the colors of the clothes in your closet to see the colors that you are most comfortable with. I would go with either a pumpkin/butterscotch color or a nice sagey/gray green. Get rid of that backsplash. Is that icky faux brick? I'd probably paint the bead board and paneling a cream color in either case. Ideally, I'd probably remove the paneling too. There are too many textures chopping up the room.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
yellow. or off white.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Am I the only one who wants to paint the cabinets too?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Am I the only one who wants to paint the cabinets too?
I hate oak, but I thought it was just me.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 PM

45 posts, read 249,477 times
No, I'd start by painting the cabinets with a black or red primer basecoat after sanding them down, then 2 coats of swiss coffe later, a coat of golden oak stain, and a finish glaze and then the beadboard would blend in to the cabinet color. Brightening up the room and then opening up the idea for darker walls if one is bold enough to go for dark. Most people disappointingly want off-white on off-white. I like tile too. tile the back wall where the backsplash is: Stone, marble, subway tile. Lots of ways to go with distressed whitewash cabinets. It's kind of French Country...

Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I wouldn't paint any large surface in a food room green or gray, they tend to shut down your appetite the worst, as do most of the cooler tones. Stick with warmer rich colors like reds, oranges or yellows, maybe even a shade of coffee, chocolate or plum. Unless you're on a perpetual diet you want your kitchen and dining room to make you hungry and enjoy your food.

The oak cabinets might not look so hideous with a better wall and backsplash color, but they will limit the colors you can agreeably work with in the rest of the kitchen unless you do paint them. I'd stick with a lighter neutral for the cabinets since dark cabs can make a room really feel heavy and oppressive and neutrals allow you change your other colors later without the awful pain of painting cabinets every time. But in any case they definitely look like they're dry, scuffed and in need of a good oiling or refinishing.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM

171 posts, read 790,750 times
Yes, the big question is whether you will be keeping the "honey oak" look of the cabinets.
If so, I agree that a sage green or a golden tan would look nice.

YES, paint the paneling. I just painted my exact paneling in my dining room this weekend. Two coats of Zinser 123, then 2 coats of Behr Swiss Coffee gloss (a creamy white). It looks 1000% better!

If you decide to change the cabinet color, you can paint or restain with a gel stain (no stripping involved, it just goes on top like a glaze.) Google "gel stained oak cabinets" and you will see several before and afters, and find the steps. If you paint, I like OCFabric gal's french country idea.

I think that kitchen has tons of potential!!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley.89 View Post
Hello! I am buying my first house, and while I'm waiting to see if the sellers accept my offer, I am thinking of all the painting etc, that I want to do to it! (I know, I'm getting ahead of myself, but just humor me. haha)

So I like the kitchen except for the hideous wallpaper adorning it. Anyone have any ideas what color I should paint the walls? You cant really see the fine detail of this wallpaper, but I assure you, its not pretty. haha. Its got pictures of men pushing wheelbarrows around and other weird things..

Should I just paint it a light green? The hardware on the cabinets is a dark green, but I could always paint them or get new ones. I am probably going to paint the island as well, so what do you think would look good?

Thanks in advance!

ps. also notice the paneling to the right of the second picture. bleh. I dont know if I am going to paint that or not yet.
Well, I'd pick lemon yellow if it were me - but that really doesnt' go with the wall covering too well.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hate oak, but I thought it was just me.
If I never see oak cabinets or floors again, it will be too soon!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating