U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,006 times
Reputation: 10
Default exterior house colors

I have a light gray colonial house that I need to sell. I'm getting ready to paint the home to increase its curb appeal. Should I keep the shutters and front door green or should I change the shutters to black for a more traditional look? I personally like the current color scheme but wasn't sure if these colors were still popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 AM
 
20,804 posts, read 29,203,892 times
Reputation: 9763
I think black would look better. I once read too that houses with yellow door sell faster-true or not, I don't know, but it would work with your colors .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM
 
Location: In the woods
3,236 posts, read 4,674,973 times
Reputation: 1348
My last house was light grey with black shutters and front door. I love that look. Our front porch rails were bright white. Anything you use for accessorizing (i.e., urns, etc.) will virtually match.

Also, IMO it will be appealing to alot of your buyers. Good luck with your project!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
4,726 posts, read 4,309,689 times
Reputation: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I think black would look better. I once read too that houses with yellow door sell faster-true or not, I don't know, but it would work with your colors .
My favorite of all the houses I've ever lived in was light gray with charcoal gray trim (with a touch of white on newel posts, window frames, etc.) and a bright yellow door.

The DIY network had a show just the other day on curb appeal and they said that yellow was one of the most popular house colors. You couldn't prove it by me -- it wouldn't be my choice. My experience in retail tells me yellow is certainly not a popular color for clothing, but it's no doubt different with houses. I did love my yellow door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,521 times
Reputation: 10
Hi, I am hoping someone will give me their opinion. I have an old red brick house with white trim and a green metal roof. The house is L-shaped so there is a lot of roof meaning a lot of green. I painted my front door black and I love it. Now I want to paint the front porch which is now green...should I paint it to match my door (black)....what's the rule on that...do we match our front porch floor to go with the door? I really want to get rid of the green. I think there should be a tad difference between the door and the floor....can the floor be glossy? because the door is mat.
Any opinions , comments, appreciated
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
955 posts, read 1,002,296 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampupthisoldhouse View Post
Hi, I am hoping someone will give me their opinion. I have an old red brick house with white trim and a green metal roof. The house is L-shaped so there is a lot of roof meaning a lot of green. I painted my front door black and I love it. Now I want to paint the front porch which is now green...should I paint it to match my door (black)....what's the rule on that...do we match our front porch floor to go with the door? I really want to get rid of the green. I think there should be a tad difference between the door and the floor....can the floor be glossy? because the door is mat.
Any opinions , comments, appreciated
thanks
I'd paint the porch floor a gray that matches the brick mortar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Englewood, FL
955 posts, read 1,002,296 times
Reputation: 693
Go for the black shutters and front door----a classic look everyone will appreciate. I would fill two large planters on each side of the door with topiaries and bright yellow flowers planted at the base.

Yellow says "welcome" and although I love a yellow door, you can get the same effect with flowers and will still appeal to the largest number of buyers.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 PM
 
1,937 posts, read 769,161 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Go for the black shutters and front door----a classic look everyone will appreciate. I would fill two large planters on each side of the door with topiaries and bright yellow flowers planted at the base.

Yellow says "welcome" and although I love a yellow door, you can get the same effect with flowers and will still appeal to the largest number of buyers.

Good luck!
Excellent advice! Not everyone would appreciate a yellow door but they can still make it pop with the flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 01:23 AM
 
29 posts, read 34,437 times
Reputation: 12
Colors will be magnified or lessened depending on the quality of the light. I think White is almost always a sure thing as it's a clean color but Other popular colors of house exteriors are cream, beige, yellow and light-hued versions of grey, blue and green. Among darker colors, brown is quite popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top