Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 26,442 times

Advertisements

I am buying new home soon. I am trying to find cheapest online home interior stuff and funniture web sites. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:15 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,945,760 times
Why online? Furniture is one of those things in which local makes more sense. Pictures won't show how well an item's build quality is or its finish. Not to mention the logistics ... big bulky items don't lend itself to cheap shipping. That was a key reason why the first incarnation of furniture.com went belly up ... it was costing them more to ship than to sell the item.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 22,653,883 times
Yeah. If you're within a day or a weekend trip of an IKEA, then heading there with a U-Haul is probably the way to go.

Big Lots also can have a fair amount of furniture it you aren't too picky about style, and you can get chairs, small tables, and some storage options from Target or TJ Maxx.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times
Furniture and Home Decor | Home Decorators Collection has some pretty good stuff at reasonable prices.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,073,545 times
Cheap furniture = bad idea. You get what you pay for.

Cheap "decor" on the other hand? I am a fan. I like Homegoods/TJMaxx/Tuesday Morning for the chi chi stuff. I browse on Horchow and laugh at the prices. Seriously, who buys Christmas decor a month before Christmas??? $55 for Holiday guest towels??? Bahahaha. I wait until the end of season sales at the above mentioned stores.

When it comes to furniture, shop locally and don't be afraid of used/vintage/antique pieces.

A good solid used/older dining table or dresser is often a much much better buy than the @#$! you'll find at Target or Ikea or Pottery Barn.

When it comes to upholstered pieces, I like new. Save save save your pennies and buy a really great sofa and an excellent mattress. Those are the things you will keep for years.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM

61,037 posts, read 85,858,261 times
Probably Walmart. They are pretty cheap...
Goodwill type stores, consignment stores ( used furnitures ), craigslist.org, garage sales, hotels surplus ...
Value City Furniture - Factory Direct Savings on Furniture - Value City Furniture Homepage
memphis, TN furniture - all classifieds {searchTerms} - craigslist
ConsignPointe,Furniture Consignment, Antique Mart, Re-sale Shop,Consign, Used Furniture, Discounted Furniture,Antiques,Collectibles,New Furniture,Resale Store,Consignment Store,Sofas,Beds,Tables,Chairs,Dining Table,Bedroom Sets,Living Room,Decorating
Hotel Sales and Surplus and Motel Salvage
http://www.nextag.com/cheap-furnitur...ping/shop-html

good luck!!

Last edited by elnina; 11-09-2010 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: added more :)

Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 PM

6,768 posts, read 11,396,828 times
I recently purchased a dining set online from homegallerystores.com

I spent a lot of time researching and found they generally had the best prices. I had seen this set in person at a local furniture store so I know what I'm getting. The savings in sales tax is a plus.

I am awaiting delivery (it's still within the time frame they quoted me) so have my fingers crossed. I found no derogatory information about them
(not true with some other internet furniture sellers).

In addition to the other decor stores already mentioned, I'll suggest Hobby Lobby and Kirklands, if they are in your area.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 AM

9,545 posts, read 7,003,529 times
Try Overstock.com.

They have reviews and the shipping is less than $3.00.

Also, we ordered our King Size Bed Frame (not the mattress, the headboard/footboard part) from one of the chain retailers....we were allowed to take it back to the store just in case....but it is gorgeous...looks just like it came from Pottery Barn. So sometimes you can find a gem at one of those places. Online shopping at a major retailer, like WM or Target, they have different stuff than in the store. It is not necessarily a WM or Target brand.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM

13,255 posts, read 22,653,883 times
While I doubt you're talking heirloom durability, Urban Outfitters' web site actually has some cute/trendy furniture offerings.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,536 times
Some of my friends/family think it is gross, but I buy ALL of my furniture on craigslist.
It is awesome. You get to check out the furniture before you buy it and it is almost always dirt cheap.
I bought my living room couch for $50. It had a pet stain on the arm, but some cleaning took it right out.
My parents (who I am slowing converting to my craigslist ways) bought a nearly perfect condition living room set (couch, love seat, ottoman) for $300.

Edit:
Quick example: Check out this one! http://madison.craigslist.org/fuo/2054475408.html (broken link)
It looks like it might have some damage on one of the arms, but if I were in the market I'd go check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating