Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:11 AM

106 posts, read 390,053 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a home here in CA. The paint job the previous owners did was subpar and needs to be redone. I am having a really hard time deciding color for this house. It has wood clapboard siding, and a brown roof. I was thinking about doing either a darker Nantucket blue or green color. I can't decide for the life of me and I don't want to make a costly mistake!

Here is a picture of the property:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6347/img1662s.jpg (broken link)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Cute house!!

My favorite colors for siding houses are white, sage green, and butter yellow. If your roof were black I would say go for the white or the sage green, but with the brown roof, the butter yellow might look better.

Also, have you put some little test samples up on the back? That should help a lot.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I'd go with a lighter green or yellow color. Going too dark would make the house seem smaller than it is.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I would go with eiither a cream or yellow.

Me, I LOVE pale pink...but I live in Miami...

Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would go with either a cream or yellow.

Me, I LOVE pale pink...but I live in Miami...
Me too - on the color, well more of a coral I guess.

Perek, your roof is not "brown". At least not in the picture I see.
It's called "cedar", and has a clay-reddish/orangy color to it, with other colors included.

I think the house looks cute the way it is.
No color suggestions, (although for it, light, creamy yellows might be nice, with white trim. The door - I haven't figured out yet.)

Oh, 2 more things I observe...that birch, to the right of the door and the shrubs in front of the double windows, looking at the picture, need trimming. And you need to put in a few more extending the length of the front, on both sides. (but do after painting)
And...is the garage in back yours?
It looks blue in the photo. Strange if it is. 2 diff. colors for the same property. But it could be the lighting.

Remember 2 things about color.
1.) Dark colors make things appear smaller.
2.) The more colors you use chop things up and make things look smaller too. And breaks up the flow.

Congratulations and many years of happiness in your new Abode.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 AM

8,035 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I'd go with a medium taupe, something that goes well with the roof, and replace the door with a wood stained door with "charm". Really cute house!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:44 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I'd go with a medium taupe, something that goes well with the roof, and replace the door with a wood stained door with "charm". Really cute house!

Ew, not a bad idea either. I would still do the trim white because it makes it look so crisp. And the door ... I still haven't decided. To blend/tone down, yes, stain. To "pop", ???????

Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
I think dark colors make things look smaller, so I'd stick with something light. Maybe a pale yellow or pale slate blue or sage green. Just nothing dark.

There is a reason black pants are slimming.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:00 AM

I had a designer come by today and I picked out a color for the exterior its called Dunn Edwards Weathered Coral, we are going with either a white or black trim (little crazy I know) going to have some mock ups soon.

Here is the color:
Attached Thumbnails
What color to paint my homes exterior?-coral.jpg  

Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 PM

Here is a mockup of the exterior color. What do you think?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating