U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times

Advertisements

Hi! We recently relocated to PA city due to my husband's job transfer.
We purchaces a three story home in the style discribed above. Currently the house is sided in a muted grey dutch lap siding. All trim is white.

I do not want to go all out on this house because it is an up and coming area, where circa homes can be had for under 150K - but we may want to move to an area with more property or keep the house for an investment.

The greay and white look so blah...

The front door is a bottom of the line builders door with a half moon shaped window on top. I think I will replace it because it looks so builder's grade.

The house is in good shape otherwise and I mostly want to concentrate on the enterior which while solid as a rock, has been neglected for over 50 years so my work is cut out for me.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,373,875 times
Red, Black, Dark Green, yellow. I would do the shutters in either white or black and paint the front door a "color" (yellow, red, etc.).

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
Most victorians don't have shutters, golfgal.

OP, you can paint the front door any color you want on a grey and white house.

In addition to the colors mentioned by golfgal, you can even do plum, lavendar, deep blue, light blue----any color at all.

Grey and white are neutral colors. Everything goes with them.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,373,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most victorians don't have shutters, golfgal.

OP, you can paint the front door any color you want on a grey and white house.

In addition to the colors mentioned by golfgal, you can even do plum, lavendar, deep blue, light blue----any color at all.

Grey and white are neutral colors. Everything goes with them.
Her's does or she wouldn't have asked for color suggestions for them.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
Silly me! I didn't notice it in the title! I was only focusing on the post!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM

3,314 posts, read 8,512,965 times
I love grey as a color on a house. It was the color of my last house. Keep it. Paint anything white in a bright white for a strong contrast. We painted our front door and shutters black (which was great for re-sale) and accented things with flowers, urns, front door mat, etc.

I also dislike those front doors with the demi-lune glass. In fact I can't stand them. Seems like a builders-special-attempt at a fanlight feature (an actual demi-lune glass/transom over the front door). It just looks tacky to me and doesn't seem to go with anything I've seen. Get a better door with panels or whatever is suitable for the Victorian architecture and paint it something with personality!

Also, don't forge accessories like the outdoor light fixtures, doorbell, kickplates or other hardware, etc. that add to the personality of your house. Sounds like a great place! Good luck with your projects!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:33 PM

10,231 posts, read 14,087,635 times
I just ran across this thread, and love to decorate homes.

How about a nice eggplant, or rich plum color? (Not in gloss though, semi or matte). My friend up near Boston has pretty grey on the house, light buff color on the trim and gingerbread, and plum doors. It is spectacular, and all the decorations look great on the doorl in any season.

Justa thought.

Sherwin Williams website has some neat color charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating