Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM

171 posts, read 545,871 times

Advertisements

My opinion on the "mantle"---if you consider it a creative wall shelf, then don't try to decorate it as a fireplace mantle....does that make sense? I would've just left the "hole" the same color/texture as the rest of the walls, then it would look like you weren't trying to make a fireplace....that way it wouldn't try to compete with an armoire either.

As for the window, I think you should take down the drapes and install 2 inch "wood" blinds in white to match the surround. Because of the heater vents (?) at the floor I'm sure you can't put in longer drapes, right? If you did the blinds it would give it an updated look. I always choose drapes that go from ceiling to floor and at least 4 inches wider than the actual window. It makes it appear you have large windows and a higher ceiling....but that's just me

I really like the color of the walls but I think you need a rug to ground it. Overstock.com has some GREAT rugs at reasonable prices. I hated paying the money as well but a large rug really can make the room and bring everything together. Plus you can't beat their $2.95 shipping cost...LOL And one thing to remember, it's a living room that's used so in the long run it would be best to get a quality rug that will last through all the abuse...kids, adults, pets, etc.! Another thing I did learn though, was if you buy a cheaper rug don't skimp on the pad underneath---it can make a cheap rug look good when there's a cushy pad

Those are my 2 cents from a person that doesn't really know what they're doing either!!! LOL

Good luck and post pics if you change anything---I love looking at other people's homes too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
If you are looking for critiques I will throw in my two cents.

Now I am going to make some assumptions here so correct me if I am wrong. I feel your taste is eclectic, victorian, country french. The choices you have made are on spot. At this point, its just not "all the way" yet. Of course this takes time. The thrill of the hunt for unique pieces takes time. I can tell your selections are given a lot of thought.

The mantel works and so does the wall color. Kudos. Now here are some suggestions on "taking it all the way." From the photos the ceiling looks shiny and white. I am assuming the house lacks the type of character you desire, hence why you added the mantel. I would paint the ceiling the same color as the mantel in a matte finish. I know some freak with the idea of anything other than a white ceiling but adding color to the ceiling creates a cozy uniform look. The mirror works and although it seems high at this point, it really depends on how you are going to accessorize it after the holidays. If you are going to use tall pieces then lowering the mirror is not going to work. I do not mind the wood color of the mirror. I would add another piece in the room of that same wood tone. This may be a end table, basket etc. Adding crown molding is going to give you a big character impact. The window treatments are more contemporary. I would probably look at replacing them when you get some extra money. This will soften the room. Stay neutral with the window treatments as the color of the walls is your statement. Not sure if this room will have a tv but I would probably move the sofa to face the fireplace as this is your focal point. Again, not sure of what else is going in the room. The mantel is small in relation to the wall size. You may want to add some bookshelves or other interest to that wall. You could possibly wallpaper the wall with the mantel to add more interest, beef it up so to speak.

The bed you have is dated but has terrific lines to make it country french. IF you don't care about it, (the best types of furniture project) I would paint the bed white and distress it a little. I think you will be amazed at how great this piece will look. The bed you hate now will end up being your favorite piece. I would try removing the drawers at the bottom and getting square baskets of a darker wood tone or replace the hardware with wood as you want the piece to look more antique.

I really think your choices are spot on for the look you are going for. It just takes a little time and money pulling it completely together. Stick with your vision, it's easy to lose it when you are not "all the way" yet.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,473 times
"I do not mind the wood color of the mirror. I would add another piece in the room of that same wood tone."

I agree that if you could put another item with the same wood color someplace in the room, it would help pull the mirror in. I think one of the problems with the current room, is that the only thing that has been repeated, is the off white/beige color. The only blue is on the walls and that is one reason it jumps out at me. The only dark wood, is that little bit on the mirror.
I also noticed the shine on the ceiling. Changing that to a matte finish would make a HUGE difference, no matter what color you use.
The window would benefit from any treatment that makes it bigger, especially wider. It looks like you never close the drapes, so an immediate quick fix would be to extend the rod beyond the window and push the panels out so that they don't cover any part of the window. This would instantly make the windows wider, which would help balance their length.
Although I personally wouldn't have them because I am too lazy to have to clean louvers, real shutters, when open, would double the size of the window, they would add some character to the room, and they would eliminate the problem of having fabric near the baseboard. I am aware however, that you have quite a few of these windows in your house and you may need to keep the window treatments consistent, depending on which windows can be seen from the LR.
On the other hand, I think the room needs more soft furnishings and I would much prefer to see a pattern on the window, repeated or coordinated with a pattern on pillows or a throw for the sofa.
Funny how everyone sees things differently isn't it? But that is why I love to hear as many opinions as possible when I am doing something.
Now that several of us have invested so much time thinking about your house, you really MUST keep showing pictures as you go, lol!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis View Post
My opinion on the "mantle"---if you consider it a creative wall shelf, then don't try to decorate it as a fireplace mantle....does that make sense? I would've just left the "hole" the same color/texture as the rest of the walls, then it would look like you weren't trying to make a fireplace....that way it wouldn't try to compete with an armoire either.
That's a good point about the mantle/shelf. It might look better if the middle is the same color as the walls if she wants a 'shelf' look.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The bed you have is dated but has terrific lines to make it country french. IF you don't care about it, (the best types of furniture project) I would paint the bed white and distress it a little. I think you will be amazed at how great this piece will look. The bed you hate now will end up being your favorite piece. I would try removing the drawers at the bottom and getting square baskets of a darker wood tone or replace the hardware with wood as you want the piece to look more antique.
Prior to reading your post, I looked at the bed earlier today and decided it's not bad. I wouldn't say it's dated. It looks like an antique or a reproduction.

What threw me previously was those drawers under it. I thought they were part of the bed. I thought it was a captains bed---like you put in children's rooms with under bed storage. I couldn't imagine why someone would chose a bed like that for a master bedroom. Now I realize those are just spare drawers stacked up for storage.

The bed would look so much better without the drawers. Let it be a traditional high four poster bed.

Your idea about wicker baskets is nice, but I think it would look better if there wasn't any storage under the bed. The room is large enough for her to put an additional chest of drawers, which she can find for practically nothing on craig's list.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:33 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have to give you credit for saying something. When I looked at the pictures earlier in the week, I chose to not post anything in the thread at all because I didn't like the living room and felt it was best to keep my mouth shut. Everyone else is commenting on the other rooms because they are avoiding the elephant in the room too.

Phew.... me too!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
[/quote]

Prior to reading your post, I looked at the bed earlier today and decided it's not bad. I wouldn't say it's dated. It looks like an antique or a reproduction.

What threw me previously was those drawers under it. I thought they were part of the bed. I thought it was a captains bed---like you put in children's rooms with under bed storage. I couldn't imagine why someone would chose a bed like that for a master bedroom. Now I realize those are just spare drawers stacked up for storage.

The bed would look so much better without the drawers. Let it be a traditional high four poster bed.

Your idea about wicker baskets is nice, but I think it would look better if there wasn't any storage under the bed. The room is large enough for her to put an additional chest of drawers, which she can find for practically nothing on craig's list.[/quote]

Hmm...city-data is acting up. my comment disappeared!

Anyway, Good catch Hopes! I totally thought that bed was a captain's style bed. That is why I suggested getting rid of the drawers and filling the empty spot with baskets instead. I am not fond of the captain style bed and have seen a lot of them at furniture stores. I suppose people are looking for extra storage. The bed is not bad but not my favorite type of wood tone. I would paint it. =)

Last edited by fallingwater; 12-16-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: comment disappeared.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The bed is not bad but not my favorite type of wood tone. I would paint it. =)
Painted would be perfect for her french country style. Especially if she did a glaze--very sheer coverage with wood tone peaking through. She could do a glaze wash in any color, like the blue on the walls, and it wouldn't be overpowering in a glaze. What a statement that would make! It would be breath taking.

Painted, glazed or left as-is, the beauty of her bed is the simplicity of the lines. She can dress it up or down, especially since it's light colored wood. (My mahogany four poster can only be dressed up!)

Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,473 times
Those drawers look built in to me.

I think I would put a floor length skirt on the bed, to hide whatever is under there!

The bed would be pretty if it were painted, but the owner seems to hate the bed more for its height than its look.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 AM

300 posts, read 952,216 times
Great job on the dining room.

However I seemed to like the master bedroom before :-)

Old 12-25-2010, 01:36 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,869 times
Yeah the bed I would love to paint it.. and I may once it's warm again and I can take the drawers outside, etc to paint. We'll see. for now it's okay.. but not great.

Lovegun, the pic you saw was how the home was staged to sell..

I think it's coming together. We've only been here since may.. I do need to go one more degree I think in the living room, but because of Christmas things are sort of in a disarray.. once the tree is away and I can get another chair I'll post more pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating