Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,019,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thank God all the frou-frou has gone out of trend.....I love the look, but not all that crap, you know?
Yes, me too. I really do like some of the over-the-top shabby chic rooms just because they are done well - but practical - no - at least not for me. Nor could I live in a room with that much stuff although again, I sort of delight in all the fun things too - you know? Also, I really don't want to sit on a chair with the stuffing visibly coming out or get a splinter from peely paint every time I open a drawer. A little of that is great but I want things to function and I don't want furniture disintegrating all over the floor, my guests or me.

I guess what I am saying is that things that I use need to be practical and clean - doesn't mean they can't have wear on them or be imperfect - I love imperfection in fact. I also love lots of "stuff" - but there is a point, when it is all too much for me. Sometimes I clear every surface (usually after the glitz of Christmas) and do minimal - eventually the pretties come back out but I don't want every surface covered with things.

Also, I really like to see wood in a room - the original finishes of mahogany, cherry, walnut, maple, bamboo, - real wood with old patina that has been cleaned up a bit and waxed. Otherwise, with all the white/pastels without the wood, I start to feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, LOL.

A few painted pieces are great and can add so much character - but personally, I don't want a whole room full of it. I have also seen painted fireplaces that look fabulous and really change a room but other times I've been shouting at my computer screen as I see someone contemplating whether they should paint their gorgeous old brick fireplace white, "don't paint the brick, don't paint the brick," because the original brick fireplace is so beautiful and adds a wonderful accent and change from all the white going on in the room. I love a mix - wood, paint, fabrics - not too heavy on any one thing.

Misty - it is true that we can do whatever we want to our houses but many of us come here to learn skills in the art of interior decorating (and design too). I want to know all about it because I think it will really help me to be a better decorator - give me new ways of thinking about decorating. Some have an inborn artful eye and others have to learn. But if you refuse to learn and decide that whatever you do to your home, whatever mismash of stuff you throw together is just great, then that is fine for you - but please don't confuse that with the art of interior decorating.

We all have different tastes and styles but this is a decorating forum and many of us come here to ask questions, share projects we are working on, learn about decorating or share our knowledge and opinions about interior decorating with others. I agree that how we like to use and decorate our homes is subjective but I also believe that good interior design includes a coordinated methodology that many of us are striving for regardless of our style or personal tastes. Sometimes there is no methodology - sometimes things that shouldn't "work" do - but usually those rooms are done by masters not novices.

So, telling someone who comes here for advice about decorating to do whatever they want is not helpful - in fact it is counter productive.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-21-2010 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,981,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Misty - it is true that we can do whatever we want to our houses but many of us come here to learn skills in the art of interior decorating (and design too). I want to know all about it because I think it will really help me to be a better decorator - give me new ways of thinking about decorating. Some have an inborn artful eye and others have to learn. But if you refuse to learn and decide that whatever you do to your home, whatever mismash of stuff you throw together is just great, then that is fine for you - but please don't confuse that with the art of interior decorating.

We all have different tastes and styles but this is a decorating forum and many of us come here to ask questions, share projects we are working on, learn about decorating or share our knowledge and opinions about interior decorating with others. I agree that how we like to use and decorate our homes is subjective but I also believe that good interior design includes a coordinated methodology that many of us are striving for regardless of our style or personal tastes. Sometimes there is no methodology - sometimes things that shouldn't "work" do - but usually those rooms are done by masters not novices.

So, telling someone who comes here for advice about decorating to do whatever they want is not helpful - in fact it is counter productive.
I happen to think I am a fine decorator. In fact I've been told by certain people they love what I've done. I don't need experts to tell me what to do. And you know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one...

I think it's fine to ask for advice, but in the end I think one should remain true to one's personal tastes.

If someone else wants to decorate like an interior designer, I say pay the $75 fee and hire someone to come out and give a person an opinion. A good friend's sister went to school and got a degree in it. If I were concerned about things, I'd pay a one time consultation fee rather than relying on an internet forum where everything said is just an opinion and rendered by complete strangers without proof of any credentials at all. After all, we are just opining at this point and it's ok to opine on an Internet forum. However, I did not read this entire thread, so if someone who is a professional did opine, I guess according to your logic I'd go with that person's opinion more than anyone else's. And my apologies for missing a professional's input.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,019,141 times
Well, I said nothing about decorating like a professional or paying for a professional. Those of us who frequent this forum like to decorate and some of us are professionals. The point I was making is that there are guidelines for good decorating - methodology for good decorating that anyone can learn and use. To believe that all people have good personal taste is a false belief. To believe that you should just put whatever feels good or that you like in your house and expect it to work is not a principle of good decorating. I've known people that dressed beautifully but had no clue how to decorate their houses (and knew it). The way in which you described your house did not sound like good decorating - sorry but it just did not - it might be beautiful but just not the way you described it (I believe you called aspects of your decorating "questionable)." Many choose to learn the principles of good decorating - those principles are there for everyone not just professionals. Whether you choose to want to know and use some of the philosophies and basic principles of decorating (that have been in existence since the beginning of decorating) or not is your choice for sure.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-21-2010 at 08:51 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 07:59 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,745,263 times
Its still in but I recently read an article in Cottage Style Fall/Winter 2010 Getting Personal with the Founder of Shabby Chic furniture Rachel Ashwell. She stated that Shabby Chic is growing up. The color palette is much more mature. Instead of soft baby blues, pinks, yellows think darker tones such as rose, teal, and gold.

Also I think with the rise of people moving into smaller homes we seem to find ourselves wanting to go back to simpler rustic styles such as farmhouse kitchens and mismatched furniture. Due to this increase in demand it is becoming harder to find pieces of furniture that is not faux or reproduced. I live in a town that has many of these Shabby Chic stores and some of the stuff they are selling is just awful. It doesn't have the same feel as that which is truly genuine.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times
Quote:
Yes, me too. I really do like some of the over-the-top shabby chic rooms just because they are done well - but practical - no - at least not for me. Nor could I live in a room with that much stuff although again, I sort of delight in all the fun things too - you know? Also, I really don't want to sit on a chair with the stuffing visibly coming out or get a splinter from peely paint every time I open a drawer. A little of that is great but I want things to function and I don't want furniture disintegrating all over the floor, my guests or me.

I guess what I am saying is that things that I use need to be practical and clean - doesn't mean they can't have wear on them or be imperfect - I love imperfection in fact. I also love lots of "stuff" - but there is a point, when it is all too much for me. Sometimes I clear every surface (usually after the glitz of Christmas) and do minimal - eventually the pretties come back out but I don't want every surface covered with things.

Also, I really like to see wood in a room - the original finishes of mahogany, cherry, walnut, maple, bamboo, - real wood with old patina that has been cleaned up a bit and waxed. Otherwise, with all the white/pastels without the wood, I start to feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, LOL.

A few painted pieces are great and can add so much character - but personally, I don't want a whole room full of it. I have also seen painted fireplaces that look fabulous and really change a room but other times I've been shouting at my computer screen as I see someone contemplating whether they should paint their gorgeous old brick fireplace white, "don't paint the brick, don't paint the brick," because the original brick fireplace is so beautiful and adds a wonderful accent and change from all the white going on in the room. I love a mix - wood, paint, fabrics - not too heavy on any one thing.

As usual, you have gotten right to the heart of the matter!
I could not have said any of this any better, and you certainly did it with much more tact than I!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
Quote:
There's always going to be a demand for comfortable and casual design. I think that shabby chic is going to significantly move away from the 'shabby' part of the equation though. The economy's going to stay stagnant for probably another long while, and that kind of intentionally distressed look can be too uncomfortably close to the unintentionally distressed furniture people may be hanging on to for longer than they'd like because they can't afford to replace it.

So when it is replaced, I see people still wanting the casual/comfortable of shabby chic, but in a form that distinctly looks newer.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I happen to think I am a fine decorator. In fact I've been told by certain people they love what I've done. I don't need experts to tell me what to do. And you know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one...

I think it's fine to ask for advice, but in the end I think one should remain true to one's personal tastes.

If someone else wants to decorate like an interior designer, I say pay the $75 fee and hire someone to come out and give a person an opinion. A good friend's sister went to school and got a degree in it. If I were concerned about things, I'd pay a one time consultation fee rather than relying on an internet forum where everything said is just an opinion and rendered by complete strangers without proof of any credentials at all. After all, we are just opining at this point and it's ok to opine on an Internet forum. However, I did not read this entire thread, so if someone who is a professional did opine, I guess according to your logic I'd go with that person's opinion more than anyone else's. And my apologies for missing a professional's input.
I dont believe any professionals have offered you any.
Nor have you asked.
Why are you being so defensive?
If you wish to argue, please go over to the politics forum, there are complete strangers that will be more than happy to oblige you.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well, I said nothing about decorating like a professional or paying for a professional. Those of us who frequent this forum like to decorate and some of us are professionals. The point I was making is that there are guidelines for good decorating - methodology for good decorating that anyone can learn and use. To believe that all people have good personal taste is a false belief. To believe that you should just put whatever feels good or that you like in your house and expect it to work is not a principle of good decorating. I've known people that dressed beautifully but had no clue how to decorate their houses (and knew it). The way in which you described your house did not sound like good decorating - sorry but it just did not - it might be beautiful but just not the way you described it (I believe you called aspects of your decorating "questionable)." Many choose to learn the principles of good decorating - those principles are there for everyone not just professionals. Whether you choose to want to know and use some of the philosophies and basic principles of decorating (that have been in existence since the beginning of decorating) or not is your choice for sure.
+1.
+100 for the bolded portion.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,763,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There's always going to be a demand for comfortable and casual design. I think that shabby chic is going to significantly move away from the 'shabby' part of the equation though. The economy's going to stay stagnant for probably another long while, and that kind of intentionally distressed look can be too uncomfortably close to the unintentionally distressed furniture people may be hanging on to for longer than they'd like because they can't afford to replace it.

So when it is replaced, I see people still wanting the casual/comfortable of shabby chic, but in a form that distinctly looks newer.
It's hard to make modern plastic and pressboard stuff look "chic"...just shabby .

Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,664,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's hard to define this style...or if it is even a bona fide stye, but do y'all see the "old, aged, mismatched, well worn and beat up" look as popular today?

I still see a lot of faux-aging, and don't often see matched sets of furniture in people's houses, but it usually seems to be that new "faux-aged" stuff, not "real old".

Would you still call "fake old" and offshoot of "Shabby Chic"? I would think "shabby chic" would be very popular given the current economy, but I just don't know if the idea really ever took off beyond a couple of design books. Whatdaya know?

Ugh, pretentiousness masked as false modesty. Hate the term, hate the style, it can die in a fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating