Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,872 times

Advertisements

I picked this chair up at a storage unit auction recently and it's pretty cool, I believe it's from the Philipines. Anyhow it didn't come with any cushions so I was going to make some but have no idea what type of fabric to use and what pattern, color, etc. Any tips would be great thanks.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa410/rulesforrebels/IMG_2980.jpg (broken link)
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa410/rulesforrebels/IMG_2978.jpg (broken link)
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa410/rulesforrebels/IMG_2975.jpg (broken link)
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa410/rulesforrebels/IMG_2974.jpg (broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
What type of fabric should I use for cushions on this chair? (picinside)-img_2974.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:34 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
A cushion will cover the interesting details of the seat, but if you insist, then I would suggest a natural "earth" colors and natural fabrics like maybe... jute, hemp, bamboo, abaca, or ramie. For this rustic style use simple woven fabrics in solid colors, that would not overpower and take attention away from the chair.
Those are earth colors:

Old 12-22-2010, 04:12 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I like the colors posted - all beautiful and appropriate for your "earthy" chair. Personally, I would use something with lots of texture. Is the chair usable, supportable chair? Very arty looking and fun accent piece. I'd have a cushion made or make one yourself. I'd trace the outline of only the seat part (inside the outer frame) and do a simple cushion that doesn't cover the frame.

Something as simple as a furniture grade burlap might be nice - all that texture yet simple and earthy.

I like this one:

Clifton - Solid Burlap

and for a little color this one:

Clifton - Solid Burlap

I also like jute:

Robert Allen @ Home Plain Fabric - Robert Allen Alpha Weave Jute

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-22-2010 at 04:38 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 AM

360 posts, read 992,810 times
The above ideas are lovely, restrained and tasteful, but I think the chair calls for over-the-top tropical: batik Artisan Batiks

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,872 times
I appreciate the tips and advice. I was just going to make a cushion for the seat part of the chair. I agree that covering the back would be a shame with all the detail of the bamboo backing. The bottom needs a cover though as I dont the seat part you sit on isnt really pretty plus I think the wicker/wood whatever it is will crack without a cushion to distribute weight better.

I like the colors also like the topical things the last poster linked to. Any suggestions on patters in addition to just colors? I'm a guy so not really good at picking out colors or patterns, I have a bad habit of picking colors b/c I like the names and not the color and that doesn't always work out well lol

Old 12-22-2010, 06:23 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post
The above ideas are lovely, restrained and tasteful, but I think the chair calls for over-the-top tropical: batik Artisan Batiks
No.
I see a textured, but not patterned cushion in a warm tone, like red.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
The first question that needs to be asked is this; what else is in the room that this chair is going to be in? What colors/patterns are already in the room?
Without knowing that, everything that everyone is suggesting is rather moot, as who knows if it will even work?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,465 times
AGREED! I completely thought the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookmen View Post

The chair has its own intrinsic pattern, but begs for an "update". A large retro, asian, Suzani, or organic pattern is needed so not to compete with the detail work. Definitely do not use anything geometric.

I would also agree that it should complement other colors in the space it willbe used in, but found these on Calico Corner's website. They are available in other colors as well, but as a start:

What type of fabric should I use for cushions on this chair? (picinside)-suzani.jpg

What type of fabric should I use for cushions on this chair? (picinside)-cc-blossom-cinnabar.jpg

What type of fabric should I use for cushions on this chair? (picinside)-cc-esha-citrus.jpg

Have fun! And PLEASE post pics when you are done!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I think the chair cushion area is too small for a large pattern....I think the scale of the pattern should be in keeping with the small scale of the chair.....or go for a solid color.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think the chair cushion area is too small for a large pattern....I think the scale of the pattern should be in keeping with the small scale of the chair.....or go for a solid color.
The chair is so spectacular that the cushion needs to be kept to a minimum, good call!
Its all about the chair, not the fabric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating