U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM

2,031 posts, read 5,162,988 times

Advertisements

Thanks again.

I am sure that if our home was in a different state, or even in a different area of NC it would sell more easily.
Where we are character doesn't count for much, but the lake access and boat dock does, thankfully.

Have posted a pic of the living room (believe it was a sunroom at one time, but now has conditioned crawl space/heat/air) from the other end of the room.

We are going to try and replace steps with some floating ones.

Living room is long and narrower and has the steps half way along one wall which I find makes it difficult to furnish, especially if we are using the current front door as we need a passage from that door to the steps..

Living room walls are pale green and the dining room and kitchen have just been painted an oatmeal color.
Everywhere else also has fresh paint. The wall color in the dining room looks different because the sun is shining in through the stained glass windows and they are mostly yellow.
I thought this was a bonus, but maybe it makes the walls look dirty!!

The door with the stained glass is stained wood (not green)

First pic you are looking at what we use as a front door.It goes onto the deck and there is easy access to the parking area. Was used as front door when we bought the house and the real front door is further along the house and goes into the hallway.
I think we need to remedy that.
Attached Thumbnails
Updating our 1980s ranch to sell-listing-living-room-1.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 AM

10,876 posts, read 13,097,846 times
IMO I would just leave it as is except for changing out the appliances to stainless steel, which looks like the biggest eyesore and will make the biggest positive impact. That house screams 1986 top to bottom and it's nothing that just some paint and minor things can fix, at this point if you want it to be completely updated, it's almost a full gut job. Little upgrades here and there I doubt will help much and just cause you to waste time and money.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,351,819 times
Well, I like your house. I do agree that SS in the kitchen will make it appear to be more "upgraded" but it isn't like the appliances you have now are old. I would put some warm colors on the walls though. What strikes me in the the kitchen is how stark it is. Put a nice, light beige or something easy on the walls, same with the other rooms. Adding color will make it appear to be more updated. Your house would sell in a minute in our area-but we like our lakes and wooded lots here and will put up with some older features to have it-ESPECIALLY at $280K. You can hardly buy a lake LOT for that here.

I don't like the shutters by the ladder. Can you take them down or do something with those?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:22 PM

29,984 posts, read 40,873,060 times
Finish de-cluttering. Less is more. Paint the "pickled" woodwork to a cream along with the trim. Leave the rest "as is" and consider offering a "decorating" allowance in the sale price to the Buyer. No reason to throw more money into this house when you already admit the need to downsize. Just my $0.02. You are trying to sell in a state that has had the housing market hit particularly hard. Cut your losses the best you can without putting more money into the house.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
IMO I would just leave it as is except for changing out the appliances to stainless steel, which looks like the biggest eyesore and will make the biggest positive impact. That house screams 1986 top to bottom and it's nothing that just some paint and minor things can fix, at this point if you want it to be completely updated, it's almost a full gut job. Little upgrades here and there I doubt will help much and just cause you to waste time and money.
I disagree.
I have yet to see a 1980s home with antique doors or loft ladders and stained glass windows.
I also disagree that it needs gutting, but then I like some character in my homes.
If people want a brand new home the they can go buy a lake lot, but a lot like ours with deeded lake access and a dock (very difficult to get dock permits on Lake Norman now) they would be looking at around $150,000.
For true waterfront lot with deep water like ours and a dock maybe $400,000.
If potential buyers see our home as an eyesore then I can't think that S/S apliances are going to make a blind bit of difference!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Finish de-cluttering. Less is more. Paint the "pickled" woodwork to a cream along with the trim. Leave the rest "as is" and consider offering a "decorating" allowance in the sale price to the Buyer. No reason to throw more money into this house when you already admit the need to downsize. Just my $0.02. You are trying to sell in a state that has had the housing market hit particularly hard. Cut your losses the best you can without putting more money into the house.
We have chosen to downsize because it makes sense to us to have a reasonable sized lump some in our pockets while I cannot work.
We could (and will) stay put if we don't get a reasonable price because the difference between what we sell for and what we can buy in the same school area won't be worth it after we pay costs.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, I like your house. I do agree that SS in the kitchen will make it appear to be more "upgraded" but it isn't like the appliances you have now are old. I would put some warm colors on the walls though. What strikes me in the the kitchen is how stark it is. Put a nice, light beige or something easy on the walls, same with the other rooms. Adding color will make it appear to be more updated. Your house would sell in a minute in our area-but we like our lakes and wooded lots here and will put up with some older features to have it-ESPECIALLY at $280K. You can hardly buy a lake LOT for that here.

I don't like the shutters by the ladder. Can you take them down or do something with those?
That was an older picture of the kitchen.
Everywhere has been freshly painted before we listed, as I said before.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM

5,698 posts, read 18,189,226 times
I don't mind the outside of the house as it does seem to fit nicely with its surroundings. It is a rustic house and I think you should just go with it's charms. Adding stainless steel appliances will really give the kitchen a boost or to save money and buy black appliances. Repaint the sunroom to a more earth tone color and see what the feedback is from potential buyers.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 AM

38,729 posts, read 68,762,783 times
What a gorgeous house! I like it the way it is -- yes, even the kitchen. I agree with Fallingwater that it's a rustic home with a style all its own; to "upgrade" it would be an outright sin, in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 AM

889 posts, read 2,591,354 times
I spend a lot of my time looking at realty websites, so I was intrigued with your pictures. It's really a lovely, unique (but not in a weird way) home. I like the character. If you have it priced reasonably, it will sell. Keep your chin up. Personally, I like the idea of stainless appliances. Second, the slatted doors did stick out like a sore thumb. Third, I know it's a sin to paint wood, but maybe in certain areas it would open things up and modernize it a bit. (I would paint the kitchen ceiling before I ever tore out the wood.) Fourth, I was thinking the small divider wall near the dining room should come down. Fifth, I am a sucker for new windows. :-) Best wishes!! It's a neat home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating