Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 AM

386 posts, read 1,363,884 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.... did not think about adding panels at the bottom. I have a friend who sews and I'll ask her. For the rest of the windows maybe I'll get longer ones and have her hem them.

Thanks bunches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
Hi - we just built a house and the designer chose the window size. My old house had 8 foot ceilings and the 84 inch draperies worked perfectly. Now my ceilings are 10 foot and my old 84 inch draperies hang a few inches below the bottom of the window frame.

What are the rules for hanging draperies? I believe they should reach the floor or can puddle, but what happens if they hang a few inches below the frame, or don't quite reach the floor? Is that a no-no? I have 101 inches from the top of the window frame to the floor.

I am also finding the width of the windows are either a little shorter or a little longer than the standard size you find for roman shades, honeycomb shades, etc. I can't afford to do custom window treatments for everyroom in the house, nor do I want the vinyl mini blinds that can be trimmed to fit. Has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas?

Thanks!
I was going to suggest IKEA, but I think their longest curtains are 98"
Not sure if you could manage to get that to work for you if you mounted the pole on the window frame

They also do the fabric panels, that are designed to slide on the rails IKEA sell. These are like a blind fabric, So can just be cut to length and then you slide on the rail that acts like a weight at the bottom.
They are 118" long, but seem like they wouldn't be suitable for windows that don't have much clearance at each side as they need a lot of room to be pulled back off the window.

It depends what your style is too.

IKEA | Textiles | Panel curtains

Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yes, the ones in the first link look like they've been cut and hemmed. If you ask me they're a little too long for the window, though. Maybe you can post pix.
I agree

OP-for longer lengths for curtains use my favorite trick-table cloths. They come in 120" lengths which is often just enough to add a rod pocket on top and puddle on the floor like you want. You could also skip the rod pocket, insert grommets and use those to hang if you like. You could also use clips to hang the curtains-it all depends on the style of your room.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
I have tall windows too. Heres a trick that I use. I hang my drapes as low as I can without the rod showing from the outside. Then I use a second rod and hang a coordinating valance at regular height. I have vintage house and I like old and heavy so this may not work with new stuff.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 AM

Another trick I have used for windows that are overly wide (needing custom curtain rods) is to use closet polls. The box stores/lumber yards sells them in very long, 20' sections and will trim to fit. I had a window where we needed 15' or so of a rod, got the closet rod, had it cut to size, painted the rod and decorative finials I bought, instant curtain rod. I got so many compliments on that and when it was all said and done cost me under $20.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I have tall windows too. Heres a trick that I use. I hang my drapes as low as I can without the rod showing from the outside. Then I use a second rod and hang a coordinating valance at regular height. I have vintage house and I like old and heavy so this may not work with new stuff.
Can you attach a picture if you get a chance? I am having a hard time picturing this but it sounds like a neat idea.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree

OP-for longer lengths for curtains use my favorite trick-table cloths. They come in 120" lengths which is often just enough to add a rod pocket on top and puddle on the floor like you want. You could also skip the rod pocket, insert grommets and use those to hang if you like. You could also use clips to hang the curtains-it all depends on the style of your room.
Ooh, never thought of that and it would probably less expensive. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Wow, lots of great ideas! Thanks so much for the suggestions, I don't feel defeated like I did when I first hung my 84" curtains and saw the result - ugh!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Quote:
Can you attach a picture if you get a chance? I am having a hard time picturing this but it sounds like a neat idea.
Basicly you hang two rods. One high One low. The valance on the top rod hangs over the curtain on the lower rod and hides the the fact that the curtain isnt up where it should be. Just dont hang the curtain too low or it will show fron the outside.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Ooh, never thought of that and it would probably less expensive. Thanks!
WAY less expensive. My kitchen window treatments (2 valances and 2 cornices) are actually made out of table cloths. I tried for years to find some fabric I liked and never really found any. I saw these table cloths and they were perfect. They cost $15 for the "material" and I overbought. I have two full table cloths left to use on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating