Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Personally, I like IKEA for some things, but not my kitchen cabinets.

The Martha Stewart stuff at Home Depot is just as affordable.

I was not at all impressed with the quality of the Martha Stewart cabinets. I'd rather IKEA over the MS cabinets which felt very insubstantial to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraDog View Post
I was not at all impressed with the quality of the Martha Stewart cabinets. I'd rather IKEA over the MS cabinets which felt very insubstantial to me.
Check out Cabinets-To-Go which sells quality real wood cabinets at Ikea competitive prices. They have locations all over the US.

Cabinets To Go -- Kitchen Cabinets

Old 03-18-2011, 02:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Cabinets-To-Go which sells quality real wood cabinets at Ikea competitive prices. They have locations all over the US.

Cabinets To Go -- Kitchen Cabinets
Wrong wrong wrong. Cabinets to go are made in China. They are infested with formaldehyde as well as sulfur. If you wish to kill your family or at least make younger children with undeveloped immune systems sick who come in contact with the high levels of poisons then go for it. That trash does not meet any USA environmental standards yet is allowed to be imported here.

Overlooking all the above, this company has a very limited catalog. For instance they don't even sell an oven cabinet. Instead the consumer is instructed to buy 24"x the height flat panels, then cross panels or basically precut shelves. And YOU the consumer have to figure out how to build an oven cabinet yourself with a bunch of parts. Take the average Joe who thinks he is saving money by doing this. Imagine the disaster? Imagine the butcher job?

No no no my friends, steer clear of this inferior garbage.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post

The Martha Stewart stuff at Home Depot is just as affordable.
Ha......you were fooled!!!!!!!!!
Martha Stewart cabinets are made by Masterbrand Cabinets. It is a Masterbrand cabinet through and through except they stamp Marths's name in the drawers. They are made in Jasper, Indiana. All on the same assembly line.

But no it is not affordable, at least when you buy it from the big orange who only wants your little green. If you find Masterbrand in a small kitchen showroom they most likely discount from list price.......unlike the big box stores.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:13 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,309,991 times
I've posted extensively before on the topic of IKEA kitchens. I've put three different ones in various cottage-size houses I've remodeled and sold. I did the first one in Pittsburgh the first year IKEA came to the U.S. More than ten years later I sold that house and the kitchen remodel was most prominently featured in the Realtor's photos of my home. The cabinets were still in top condition 10+ years old.

Since then I have done two other kitchens with IKEA cabinets. Each year the selection gets better and more extensive. I love the refrigerator cabinet with side panels that make the refrig look built-in and gives you a deep roomy cabinet above. (Great for seldom-used small appliance storage.) I also like the versatility and variety of options for the pantry cabinets. There are customizable parts for a wide variety of storage options (bins, sliding shelves, multi-depth shelves, etc., for pantries and dividers galore for drawers). You'll keep your kitchen neater if you have places to store everything.

I assembled the cabinets myself (practice makes perfect, drawer units are hardest) and had a contractor install them. Each of the contractors said they were easy to work with. I am less enamored with IKEA countertops than cabinets, although they have recently increased their selections and I would be willing to try their solid-surface one the next time I remodel. Their sink and faucet selections are also fine with me (and I have used other top U.S. names on various remodeling projects and didn't find them any better, though they were considerably more expensive).

As others have mentioned, ordering is a snap. Carefully measure your kitchen, put your dimensions in their online design tool and work out what you want. Take your list to the store and they will double check everything and place your order. Most of the stuff I've chosen has been in stock. I had to wait for a few oddball things, but they came in reasonable time and were delivered to my house when they came in. If you're on a budget, I rate IKEA kitchen products as the best selection and value for the money.

And, yes, European environmental standards ARE higher than ours and the IKEA products sold in the U.S. are the same ones sold overseas. Watch House Hunters International on HGTV and you'll see a lot of IKEA kitchens.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That trash does not meet any Chinese environmental standards so it is allowed to be imported here.
Actually, there are no EPA standards, hence why they can be imported here. Some of the plywood is so toxic that it can't even be sold in China!

CorpWatch*:*US: Unwanted Imports: Goods deemed toxic elsewhere shipped to U.S.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
So...does everything sold at Ikea meet European standards for toxicity or is it just the kitchens?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So...does everything sold at Ikea meet European standards for toxicity or is it just the kitchens?
"IKEA has long worked to minimize the use of formaldehyde. Since 1986, IKEA has applied the German formaldehyde requirement, currently the strictest, for all IKEA products on all sales markets, even where no limit exists. The German limit is such that even persons who are over sensitive to formaldehyde should not experience any problems. Denmark and Austria have similar requirements, while Sweden, Norway, Finland and California have their own formaldehyde requirements."

Source: IKEA | The Natural Step

So it's not just kitchens.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM

665 posts, read 1,727,690 times
Ikea also sell mattresses and couches that have no polybrominated diphenyl ethers (fire retardants) which can cause cancer.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
"IKEA has long worked to minimize the use of formaldehyde. Since 1986, IKEA has applied the German formaldehyde requirement, currently the strictest, for all IKEA products on all sales markets, even where no limit exists. The German limit is such that even persons who are over sensitive to formaldehyde should not experience any problems. Denmark and Austria have similar requirements, while Sweden, Norway, Finland and California have their own formaldehyde requirements."

Source: IKEA | The Natural Step

So it's not just kitchens.
Thank you!

Looks like Ikea will probably be my first choice for cheap throwaway furniture from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating