Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times

Advertisements

Look at this picture (click on the link...I'm not sure if hotlinking is permitted for public photos on Flickr)..... Sunken Tub | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimhildreth/4043046841/ - broken link)

I see this sort of set up so often in contemporary or remodeled bathrooms. Why do people install their tub faucets in that location? (More to the point, why do manufacturers design them that way?) Seems to me you would be bumping it to get in and out of the tub. Wouldn't it be just as easy to locate it on the end, like a regular tub?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 PM

749 posts, read 2,437,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Look at this picture (click on the link...I'm not sure if hotlinking is permitted for public photos on Flickr)..... Sunken Tub | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimhildreth/4043046841/ - broken link)

I see this sort of set up so often in contemporary or remodeled bathrooms. Why do people install their tub faucets in that location? (More to the point, why do manufacturers design them that way?) Seems to me you would be bumping it to get in and out of the tub. Wouldn't it be just as easy to locate it on the end, like a regular tub?
Similiar to the one in this pic

I like it, 2 people can comfortably sit and face each other w/o one of them having a faucet implanted in their back. That pic you showed was a little extreme to the center IMO and could see banking a kneecap getting in and out.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Easy to reach to adjust the water temperature while you still have your eyes closed, your head on a soft pillow, a champagne glass in other hand, and your thoughts somewhere in a paradise...

Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Easy to reach to adjust the water temperature while you still have your eyes closed, your head on a soft pillow, a champagne glass in other hand, and your thoughts somewhere in a paradise...
I like your thinking... even though I don't like the faucet position!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I think it's funny that the picture is called a "sunken tub" when it isn't sunk at all.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Because that's the easiest way to start the tub. If the faucet was in the back you would have to reach all the way across, and most tubs of that design don't have the fittings on the side to mount it that way (plus it would look odd)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
As opposed to this?:

Manufacturers do different things to differentiate themselves from other manufacturers. Sometimes it's purely for aesthetic value- and not to save your kneecap. With some manufacturers there are multiple locations in which to mount the faucet set- but the builder/plumber decided that was the place to mount because one, you don't have to reach over the tub to turn water on. Two, the faucet is front and center to showoff, and three...
well, that's the only place because it's a jetted tub and the lines for the jets make it impossible to mount the faucet any place else.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Similiar to the one in this pic

I like it, 2 people can comfortably sit and face each other w/o one of them having a faucet implanted in their back. That pic you showed was a little extreme to the center IMO and could see banking a kneecap getting in and out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As opposed to this?:

Manufacturers do different things to differentiate themselves from other manufacturers. Sometimes it's purely for aesthetic value- and not to save your kneecap. With some manufacturers there are multiple locations in which to mount the faucet set- but the builder/plumber decided that was the place to mount because one, you don't have to reach over the tub to turn water on. Two, the faucet is front and center to showoff, and three...
well, that's the only place because it's a jetted tub and the lines for the jets make it impossible to mount the faucet any place else.
Yeah, see I can understand the faucet placement in the photos you both posted. It's off to the side, but not necessarily out of reach. So it's accessible, but you're not going to bang your knee getting in and out.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
When I installed our soaker tub (one person), I put the controls at the "head" end and the spout at the foot end. Just seemed to make sense, it's easy to adjust the controls, yet the water coming in is at your feet. I had some space constraints that lead me to do something "unique", still, it makes sense to me.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Because those are soaking tubs and if you install the faucet at one end you bonk your head while soaking in the tub. Also, the faucet gives you something to grasp when you are getting in and out of the tub. We have a tub with a faucet in the center (but not a corner tub like this) and I have never hit my knee on it getting in and out. There is plenty of room on either side to get in and out without knocking your knee on the faucet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating