Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,010,565 times

Advertisements

My last two sofas have been Broyhills and I've been very happy with them. I had a tuxedo style Broyhill that I loved but needed a couch that will support my back. (Can't use a couch with a bunch of pillows for the back.) I sat on, probably 100, sofas testing them out. Broyhill was one of the few makers that had the style I needed that wasn't ugly as sin. And since my last one was still going strong after 25 years with just the foam in the seat cushions being replaced it wasn't a tough decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,369,030 times
Lee Industries, preferably with Crypton-treated upholstery.

Some of the sofas made for Crate and Barrel are made by Lee Industries.

Also, One Kings Lane is having a sale on quality sofas right now, many treated with Crypton - and a low delivery fee, which makes it a really good deal.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,946,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For the price I'd recommend getting over to a Macy's Furniture Department. They have a wide range of styles and quite often a great sale. I just purchased a $1800 sofa for $950 after discounts (floor model). It's solid (kiln dried hardwood), has fabric guard on the material, is quite sturdy in feel and appearance, and feels like it's going to outlast me!
Macy’s furniture quality is underwhelming IMO.

I’ve been buying furniture for 48 years. KB gave you good advice.

We are happy with our Elite reclining sofa and chair. The leather is holding up well and the mechanism works well. A decent, moderately priced brand is Flexsteel. So, based on out expereince, I’d recommend Elite Furniture and Flexsteel. You can visit their websites and use their store locator to find a local dealer.

Do not buy cheap! But you don’t have to buy extremely high end either. Whatever you do, don’t buy bonded leather.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,041,607 times
OP was looking in 2011. Hopefully they found something good that doesn't already need to be replaced

Old 01-04-2019, 06:54 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,362,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP was looking in 2011. Hopefully they found something good that doesn't already need to be replaced
True enough! But this is still a timely question about buying sofas and such. I think just about anything bought in recent times is just not going to last the way things did previously.
Although I have to say, the sofa/loveseat I bought about 5 years ago are holding up pretty well and we are not gentle people. It's Rowe.
I guess ask me in another 2 or 3 years.
The other couches I have been before were good for about 8 years. After about 5 or 6 years, they were starting to lose it a bit but still were ok. By 8 years, they were really pretty sorry looking.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:12 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,108,707 times
Bernhardt sofas are excellent quality. I had one last for 17 years and it is still in very good condition. I passed it on to a relative. My house was the designated neighborhood hangout. Kids jumped all over it, spilled stuff, sleepovers, etc. It had a chenille fabric that stood the test of time, kids, pets, etc.

Wesley Hall sofas are great too. Quality construction. Impeccable fabric print matching throughout. My sofa is 20 years old and still looks perfect. Admittedly, it does not get daily use. The white fabric cleans up nicely. My cat likes to hang out on it.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:16 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,636,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
True enough! But this is still a timely question about buying sofas and such. I think just about anything bought in recent times is just not going to last the way things did previously.
Although I have to say, the sofa/loveseat I bought about 5 years ago are holding up pretty well and we are not gentle people. It's Rowe.
I guess ask me in another 2 or 3 years.
The other couches I have been before were good for about 8 years. After about 5 or 6 years, they were starting to lose it a bit but still were ok. By 8 years, they were really pretty sorry looking.
I have a Rowe sofa (made in VA) which is about 8 years old now and looks new. It has off white slipcovers on the cushions (no kids or pets in the house now) which I flip every few months and wash them on gentle every year or so. They have held up very well. I do vacuum the sofa thoroughly every other week.

We looked forever and are very pleased with this Rowe model as the backs were higher and the cushions seemed thicker and with more depth (DH is tall).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating