Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,607,060 times

Advertisements

We really need to buy a new sofa. What is the best "name brand" out there? My kids are big boys! Oldest will probably be coming home from college and youngest is 16. Love to hear the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
I don't look for a particular "name brand". My first decision is purely aesthetic- it's design. The second is fabric.
And just as important or even more so, is it's construction.
1. Is the frame made of kiln-dried hardwood?
The sturdiest construction uses kiln-dried hardwood such as oak, hickory, poplar, ash, birch, elm, maple, or pecan. Why kiln-dried lumber? For maximum stability.
2. Are the joints double doweled and glued? Are corners blocked?
Primary frame joints should be glued and double-doweled (connected with at least two dowels) as opposed to stapled, nailed, or attached with screws. Inside corners of the frame should be corner-blocked (reinforced with blocks of wood), using glue and screws for fasteners.
3. Are the legs an actual part of the frame? As opposed to the kind that screw on.
4. What kind of springs are in the seat and back?
There's nothing better than traditional, old-fashioned eight-way hand-tied coil springs for comfort and longevity. There are other types of springs, gauges and forms that have their merits.
5. Is the exterior fully padded?
The best armchairs and sofas are padded all over. This protects you from hard edges and also keeps upholstery fabric from rubbing against the furniture frame and wearing through.
6. Cushion construction-
The standard high-quality cushion has a durable, resilient polyfoam core wrapped with polyester batting for softness and contour. Get the highest density foam available. It maybe overly firm when new but, will last a lot longer. The higher the density offered signifies quality foam. The most expensive cushions are made with all down; or a down and feather combination..

Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,236,719 times
As usual, K'ledgeBldr said it all. I used to sell furniture and it's shocking how few people even ask about the construction of upholstered furniture. I worked at a major furniture store for two years before I ever had a customer ask to turn over a sofa to look at the construction! Of course, we all place emphasis on design, color, and fabric, but take a close look at construction, too.

Like most things, you get what you pay for in sofas. You will NOT get all K'ledgeBldr described without spending over $1,000 no matter what it looks like. But you could also spend more than $1,000 and still be paying only for fashion. Consumer Reports recently gave a terrible rating to Pottery Barn sofas, for example. And no matter how patriotic Ethan Allen's name is, their sofas are made in China just like most of them.

In heavy use, a cheaper sofa (inferior foam, minimal padding, joints not done the way he described) will be shot in three years. Some people with kids decide to just go with something cheap until their kids are grown, but if you want to get something that will last for years be prepared for an investment.

In my personal experience, my best sofa is a La-Z-Boy loveseat sofa bed I purchased decades ago when Gimbels went out of business. I paid more than $1,000 on sale in 1980, which was a small fortune. But it was exactly what I wanted style and size-wise. I had it as my only sofa for more than 15 years before I got it reupholstered when I redecorated. I didn't bother to get a replacement because it was still in A-1 condition. AND it's still going strong today with that fabric (and the same mattress) -- 30 years later. I sold many brands at the furniture store and still found La-Z-Boy to be one of the most reliable products for the money. Good selection of fabrics, too.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
We just bought a new sofa and lveseat. Weknew mnay good brands but the thing we were loss on was what is a fair price. We foud a national brand sifa at a furniture store nearby. It sadi that it was clearnace pirce for both at 2180 and rgualr price was 3000+. We wanted to look further so we keep shoppig and finally settle on that pair. We had decided to go back the next morning to buy it. That nite got n the internet at the nakers site . They had locators of dealers that sold their braqnd. I went to a dealer i a larger city and they had the same pair fo 1600 dollars listig the MSRP at 900 for the couch and 700 for the sofa. Exactly the same couch and material . Eeven delivereed with sale tax;delicery we saved 80 dollars and much more when you figure all in. I told a friend this that sold furniture and he said that furniture has large markup and people really have no idea of what is a fair prices ;so mnay take advantage of it particularly in a smaller market.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,800,331 times
Check the Gardenweb Furniture forum. Search 'best sofa'.
You will find much information. You may also post a question. People are great about answering quickly.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM

137 posts, read 411,185 times
I bought a Berkline reclining sofa in microsuede and it is heaven! sturdy and so comfy I fall asleep watching a movie. google berkline, they have lots of nice ones

Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM

5,463 posts, read 7,036,071 times
Clayton Marcus is the best in my opinion.

Rowe makes an excellent sofa too.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:45 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
For the price I'd recommend getting over to a Macy's Furniture Department. They have a wide range of styles and quite often a great sale. I just purchased a $1800 sofa for $950 after discounts (floor model). It's solid (kiln dried hardwood), has fabric guard on the material, is quite sturdy in feel and appearance, and feels like it's going to outlast me!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,985,040 times
We have a sofa that has withstood the raising of 3 boys and it is still going strong. It has been reupholstered and reworked with new style details once. Originally it was covered in a high grade tapestry fabric that still looked new the day the upholsterer came to pick it up to redo it. The sofa was handmade for us by an upholsterer. A good upholsterer can make top-quality furniture to your specifications. I also have two armless chairs that were made by an upholsterer - they are heavy, sturdy wonderful chairs that I have reupholstered when I want a new look. I believe in buying classically styled furniture and keeping it forever.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:52 PM

41 posts, read 98,951 times
We've been couch shopping for a week and a half... a bit of a nightmare since there are SO many options.

From past experience: If you're looking for something that will hold up through heavy traffic and guys that like to "plop" and wrestle on the couch, I would suggest staying away from the Rooms to Go type places. The frames simply can't take it. They are nice for a lightly /gently used type living room, and the price is right if you're looking for something that will hold up a couple of years in that type use.
We just went to Crate and Barrel and they had some very nice couches that are "flush" to the floor (which distributes the weight being placed on them)... lots of design options C&B, and we read good reviews on their couches (Lounge 93" Sofa | Crate&Barrel). We ended up deciding on something from West Elm (Blake Sectional | west elm) but I'm not sure if the type of legs on these would hold up to rough usage "boyz" tend to dish out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating