Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure takign the wall to a half wall was the best choice. Something tells me that at 1300 sf those aren't the largest (not necessarily just not large) rooms. And that bar is cantilevering in the living room which means the back 4' of it has been usurped for teh counter/stools/circulation/etc.

It looks like there is an entry between the frig and the counter that houses the dishwasher & sink. Did they stick a pantry in an adjoining mud room. If so that might work otherwise I'm on the not enough storage bandwagon. Simoly putting an opening in the wall to allow views/conversation into the LR from kitchen might be a better idea since you could flank it with cabinets.

Also if that were a structural wall 90% of the time there would be a visible beam or soffit in its place. Youc ould structurally hide the beam above the ceiling however I truly doubt a flipper looking at the bottom line would mess with hiding the beam and reattaching all the joists with joist hangars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm not sure takign the wall to a half wall was the best choice. Something tells me that at 1300 sf those aren't the largest (not necessarily just not large) rooms. And that bar is cantilevering in the living room which means the back 4' of it has been usurped for teh counter/stools/circulation/etc.

It looks like there is an entry between the frig and the counter that houses the dishwasher & sink. Did they stick a pantry in an adjoining mud room. If so that might work otherwise I'm on the not enough storage bandwagon. Simoly putting an opening in the wall to allow views/conversation into the LR from kitchen might be a better idea since you could flank it with cabinets.

Also if that were a structural wall 90% of the time there would be a visible beam or soffit in its place. Youc ould structurally hide the beam above the ceiling however I truly doubt a flipper looking at the bottom line would mess with hiding the beam and reattaching all the joists with joist hangars.
If these are truly ranches of less than 1600 sq ft the load calculator says no internal walls need be supported -- Maximum Span Calculator for Joists & Rafters

Of course not all builders lay out things for minimal use of bearing walls, and more than a few styles of older homs have rows upon rows of bearing walls...

Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
Good suggestions. I checked and mine is a load bearing wall, so tearing down the wall is out of the question. At least, I'm not willing to put more money into reinforcement and have less cabinet space.

These are ranch and mid-century homes in the area. Besides the frig and countertop, there is a door to the attached garage so a pantry in that area is not practical. I'll go back to leaving the wall alone where my frig is and my stove is actually where the frig is in the picture. We are happy with our triangle function layout. I think the mosaic backsplash is pretty cool but I knew it may become dated and will keep my mind open to alternatives. I think tile backsplash is kind of boring and homes in our area is well known for unusual 1950s tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms. Many homes still have original tiles of lime green, pink, gray, dark brown, like these Ugly House Photos » Blog Archive » Design Through the Decades - Phoenix, AZ - 1950s Bathrooms. But these are a bit extreme in the link; mine is light gray.

BTW desertsun41, you are thinking of Willow Meadows which is close to the Synagogue. But a lot of Christians live in Willowbend with the Baptist, Methodist, Catholics, Lutheran and Episcopal churches close by.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That hanging stainless hood is very expensive. I'd say about $2300. Yes you read that right. Choosing the right product and buying from the right place and what's shown is a fairly inexpensive kitchen.
Hoods can run alot, we purchased Broan Elite E60000 36 In. Externally vented range hood- Stainless steel. That ran 2,000.00. When we remodled our kitchen we went high end everything, this was a one time thing, so we went for it...

Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Good suggestions. I checked and mine is a load bearing wall, so tearing down the wall is out of the question. At least, I'm not willing to put more money into reinforcement and have less cabinet space.

These are ranch and mid-century homes in the area. Besides the frig and countertop, there is a door to the attached garage so a pantry in that area is not practical. I'll go back to leaving the wall alone where my frig is and my stove is actually where the frig is in the picture. We are happy with our triangle function layout. I think the mosaic backsplash is pretty cool but I knew it may become dated and will keep my mind open to alternatives. I think tile backsplash is kind of boring and homes in our area is well known for unusual 1950s tiles in the kitchen and bathrooms. Many homes still have original tiles of lime green, pink, gray, dark brown, like these Ugly House Photos » Blog Archive » Design Through the Decades - Phoenix, AZ - 1950s Bathrooms. But these are a bit extreme in the link; mine is light gray.

BTW desertsun41, you are thinking of Willow Meadows which is close to the Synagogue. But a lot of Christians live in Willowbend with the Baptist, Methodist, Catholics, Lutheran and Episcopal churches close by.

Well your layout sounds great!...Ugly House, love that site!! You a member over there ??...Yeah I go by WildCard~ over there as well.......

Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Always remember, "trendy", always goes out of style, really fast........
Get the style you will want to look at for years, not what is "hot" for today....

because usually what id hot for today, gets cold tomorrow.........

like another poster said about the glass tiles for the back splash, while "hip and trendy" today, it will become so dated in about a year, or like the posted said, already !!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 AM

37 posts, read 86,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The glass tile in that kitchen is going to become dated very quickly.
I stopped using it a year or so ago.
I do like the look of glass tile and it is what you make of it, if you are buying from Lowe's or Home Depot you can expect it to grow very very tiresome. As for the prices you will have to search different websites, do mock orders and with the glass tile fill in the square footage criteria so that it equates to what you need.

Here's a few good sites to checkout:

Mosaic Tile Backsplash Pictures

Custom Cabinetry

Countertop Pictures

Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM

I think the floor should have been wood like the rest of the flooring. The range hood is just plain ugly. The window would be better if it were single as to add more cabinetry on either side. The space above the island is dead air space and to me I would rather have a wall there as to add even more cabinets, after all that's what a kitchen is for.
Agreed with withe "Kshe", glass tiles are dated already.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM

251 posts, read 933,561 times
The biggest problem I see is a slight step up to get into the kitchen-how many times are they going to trip over that carrying dishes?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
The biggest problem I see is a slight step up to get into the kitchen-how many times are they going to trip over that carrying dishes?

that is why I though the flooring should have all been the same.

tripping in a kitchen doesnt seem like too much fun to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating