Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I am definitely staying away from Bellawood. I have heard too many bad things about the warranty by people that tried to get them to honor it.
Try rating a warranty from a contractor that installs and finishes unfinished flooring in your home. Seriously. You're going to get the same run around about not being liable for damage done by your dogs. I'd park my butt on site during the finishing process for days and days to make sure they are putting on as many coats as you're paying them to put on your floors. Otherwise, you really have no idea what you're getting. You have to do it yourself or supervise the entire process to be certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Try rating a warranty from a contractor that installs and finishes unfinished flooring in your home. Seriously. You're going to get the same run around about not being liable for damage done by your dogs. I'd park my butt on site during the finishing process for days and days to make sure they are putting on as many coats as you're paying them to put on your floors. Otherwise, you really have no idea what you're getting. You have to do it yourself or supervise the entire process to be certain.
Well, that doesn't relate to the flooring, subflooring, and floorboards. You are grasping at things that are frankly out of your control when you hire someone. I am sorry that you feel we are attacking you by shooting down your choices, but I like to avoid as many mistakes as possible and according to many ratings, Bellawood especially is something that should be avoided. Thanks for your advice, but it looks like I won't be going with your recommendations but thanks for taking the time to make them.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,699 times
We put down semi-gloss "natural" stained oak hardwood T&G 3/4" made by Mirage 20 years ago in living room, hallway, closets by ourselves, last year had the same flooring [they still make it] put in all the bedrooms by a professional, felt we were getting too old to take on 3 bedrooms and their closets, etc. The new bedroom flooring butts up against the 20 yo hallway flooring and you can barely see a difference, it looks like it was all put down at once. 2 sets of dogs ran those floors for 20 years, I wouldn't call them scratches because it still has the semi-gloss finish, it just looks like normal wear and tear and actually gives the floor character. Mirage puts 8 coats of finish on their wood, I don't think you can beat a pre-finished floor. Dark finishes, especially if you do it yourself, will be the most vulnerable to dogs and I would go with a lighter pre-finished wood for durability. The laminate looks great new and the newer laminate looks more real and is less prone to scratching, easy to install, but I've seen in buckle and it's just not hardwood. We wanted the real thing and you can always not only refinish the floor but repair the floor if there's damage, staining, mold, cracking, warping easier than any other product in my opinion. You should always buy a small room size amount of extra wood to put aside for future repairs because these floors last forever. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating