Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:23 PM

936 posts, read 2,079,945 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about tiling my kitchen and family room. Initially I wanted to tile with a diagonal pattern. But after see this pattern (see attached image), I want to copy it. Is there a name to this pattern? And do you think it is more difficult than the diagonal pattern? Is there any type of calculations involved with this?

For the small tiles, do you buy them or do you have to cut them out of larger tiles?

Thanks,

Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling, what is this laying pattern and it is difficult to lay?-tile.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
It's called "hopscotch". If you google that, you'll find all kinds of advice on how to measure for it. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Generally referred to as hopscotch but various suppliers and retailers may have their own terms they use like 'random square' or 'keystone'.

Suppliers usually have 'kits' of this kind of pattern, in a limited selection. If you choose one of the kits, then there's no cutting involved. They can calculate for you how much of the large tiles and the small keystone tiles you need. Then all you need to do is use the plastic spacers when laying the tiles down.

If you don't like the patterns/colors available in their kits, you can always make your own, choosing any size large tile and keystone. The size of the keystone must be divisible by the size of the large tile. In this case you would need to do your own calculations for how much you need of each, and cut each of the small tiles. Note that finished tiles come with an ever-so-slight beveled edge, and a glazed finish on the edges. If you cut them, you alter these characteristics. But you can do it if you want.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about tiling my kitchen and family room. Initially I wanted to tile with a diagonal pattern. But after see this pattern (see attached image), I want to copy it. Is there a name to this pattern? And do you think it is more difficult than the diagonal pattern? Is there any type of calculations involved with this?

For the small tiles, do you buy them or do you have to cut them out of larger tiles?

Thanks,

Jimmy
If you want to go with your own size for the smaller tiles you can cut your own from larger stock but as already noted you'll lose the edge. I'll typically do something like that on a shower floor or somewhere where all tiles are cut from larger ones, but not in a setting where some of the tiles still have the beveled edge and the cut ones won't. There's a good chance that you'd feel the edge with your foot and any lippage would be a lot more pronounced.

It's a very easy pattern to lay though in my opinion. Not one of those mean ones where you have to carry a map around.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times
My husband and I are do-it-yourselfers, and had never laid tile before. Didn't know the pattern was called hopscotch! If you can buy the small squares, that are about 1/2 the size of the large squares, it's easy. IMO, cutting the small squares out of larger tile, wouldn't be a good idea, as the edge would be raw, and it would be a ton of work. We used tan large squares, and dark brown small squares. It's fairly visually busy, but we like it. One of our older dogs was afraid to walk on it! Our pattern goes in two intersecting hallways, kind of in a T shape, and it's cool the way it works. It was fun, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating