Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,753,346 times

Advertisements

So I posted a comment on another similar thread, but it was slightly off-topic from the OP, so I decided to start my own thread.

I have wall-to-wall cream-colored carpet in a house with 4 animals and 2 people, which = yuck.

We also have allergies, so that is a concern, but honestly - the maintenance factor is really driving the decision to change our flooring.

I've kicked around the idea of tile, hardwood, laminate, etc., but I'm actually leaning toward stained concrete. I'm just thinking that hardwood or laminate would stain and get ruined over time - if a cat vomits in the morning while we're at work, and we don't discover the stain for 12 hours... multiply that example X ~ 300 days a year = ruined floor.

Tile is a nice idea since we live in the sunny Lone Star State, where it is hot more of the year than it is cold, so that would help keep the living space cool, but grout gets ucky over time.

Stained concrete seems like a solution to fit all of our needs, but I'm hoping to hear from folks who've actually lived with it and have some feedback/advice.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,952,136 times
The question is how good is the condition of your current concrete? If it's in less than perfect shape, expect to have additional work prior to staining.

Since adopting a dog last year, I've decided to go with porcelain tile in the family room/kitchen/hall/laundry for the purposes of being a much more durable vs. wood (living room). The grout will be sealed.

I've weighed resilient flooring too, but since there will be different materials through the lower level, I rather not have to deal with height transitions.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,246,226 times
I love stained concrete, and it's a great choice for warm weather climates like yours (and mine). You'll have to think about the animal thing, though - acids or strong bases left on a stained concrete surface will leave a permanent mark. As a matter of fact, I know the owners of a local construction company who had stained concrete done throughout their house - gorgeous! - and then the dog peed on it, it sat for a few hours, unseen, and there was a big ole peestain on their brand new floor.

Tile is probably safer, and you can seal your grout. You can also purchase a colored sealer which will refresh the color on old grout. I think it's made by Hydroment, though others may also make a similar product.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:57 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,084,521 times
My house is 15 yrs old. It has the original ceramic tile in the kitchen and the grout is in perfect shape, perfect color, no stains. Whoever the builder was or installer of the ceramic tile did an excellent job. So I think ceramic will hold up very well for you.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,690,080 times
We ended up going with engineered hardwood, and with all the next generation/space age top coat finishes out there, we haven't had any problems with damage from the cat known as The Unipuker, even the spots were he horked under the bed and we didn't find it for a few weeks.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,848,232 times
Concrete does require a lot of prep. You'll need to clean up the existing floor. If it's a wood subfloor, you'll need to lay down an impermeable sheeting product. If it's concrete slab, you'll need to 'float' a concrete floor. That floated floor typically doesn't have a 'finished' look that you usually see in lofts and warehouses. To achieve that look you need a different concrete mix, and stain, and polish. And then you need to seal the concrete, so that it is impervious to moisture and stains. The seal needs to be periodically re-applied. It is great for keeping a place cool though. Because of all the layers and prep work, concrete is actually one of the more expensive floor finishes.

Another thing you might consider is carpet tile. These are carpet to which an impervious backing is applied (usually vinyl or an environmentally-friendly vinyl alternative), and then cut into squares. The tiles range in size from 18" to 36". The vinyl prevents liquids from soaking through to the subfloor which minimizes growth of mold and mildew. That each tile is a separate piece also means liquids won't wick to adjacent tiles. They are also extremely durable. Carpet tiles were originally designed for commercial construction, so they have a denser weave, and yarns that are made to withstand more traffic and wear. And if one is stained, you just order a replacement, pick up the damaged tile, and lay down a fresh one. The most readily available carpet tile product for consumers is from Flor.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,246,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Another thing you might consider is carpet tile. These are carpet to which an impervious backing is applied (usually vinyl or an environmentally-friendly vinyl alternative), and then cut into squares. The tiles range in size from 18" to 36". The vinyl prevents liquids from soaking through to the subfloor which minimizes growth of mold and mildew. That each tile is a separate piece also means liquids won't wick to adjacent tiles. They are also extremely durable. Carpet tiles were originally designed for commercial construction, so they have a denser weave, and yarns that are made to withstand more traffic and wear. And if one is stained, you just order a replacement, pick up the damaged tile, and lay down a fresh one. The most readily available carpet tile product for consumers is from Flor.
Carpet tile is a great option. But I would consider visiting a flooring company that does commercial as well as residential carpet. Flor has nice products, but they are far from the only ones out there; I've always like Shaw and Milliken carpet tiles.

We have a bunch of carpet tiles that we use in various areas - under the litter pans, in the garage, as a background for ebay photography ... They are versatile!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 PM

157 posts, read 140,104 times
I've heard bamboo is wonderful and beautiful, but so is the stained concrete.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM

659 posts, read 1,753,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
I've heard bamboo is wonderful and beautiful, but so is the stained concrete.
We actually considered bamboo, but then read a lot of stuff about it being a fairly soft wook (and therefore prone to showing scratches from animal claws).

It is beautiful though.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,766,587 times
Given your situation I'd go with a high quality laminate. Many you can't even tell are not hardwood plus will hold up much better, and far less expensive to replace any damaged boards over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating