U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,282,584 times

Advertisements

What is the average cost of hiring someone to take down wallpaper and paint it a neutral color? I have 2 average size bedroom and 2 bathrooms to be done? Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM

10,653 posts, read 6,430,887 times
It can vary greatly depending on who you hire, but i got an estimate once from a professional company to do a similar job and they wanted about 4k

Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 21,441,188 times
There are way too many factors involved to give any answer based on the information at hand.
What type of walls? plaster or d/wall?
What type of wallpaper?
How many layers?
Were the walls sized before the wallpaper was applied?
If the walls were previously painted, what kind of paint (age of house could possibly mean- lead paint)?
Is there furniture to deal with?
How much "damage" is made removing can have a direct reflection on the bottomline.
Repairing, prep'ing, priming, spot repairs, painting (type of paint)...

Yeah, it can get expensive.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,339,238 times
The unknowns (as noted above) means that those estimating will factor some worse-case scenarios, which may or may not happen. Those labor hours really adds up the cost.

Have you tried DIY removal yet?
Amazon.com: Zinsser 2966 PaperTiger Scoring Tool for Wallpaper Removal Single Head: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Zinsser 2486 DIF Fast Acting Spray Ready To Use Wallpaper Stripper, 32-Ounce: Home Improvement

It's worth a shot first, y'know.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,282,584 times
Thank you. I had no idea it could possibly be this costly. I think as a starting point I will have this handyman that has done some work for me explain the questions you asked because I have no idea about type of wall for example. As for DYI that would end up costing more trust me but maybe the handyman who has painted small items would want to attempt it.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 PM

256 posts, read 783,352 times
I am a paper hangar. Most of the pros in my area tell me they charge the same price for removal as they do to hang. That is an outrageous way to do it and I can only assume they don't want the removal jobs. They are charging a rate that would be fair only if they ran into the worst possible scenario.

I have completely stripped a 9 x 12 room in less than an hour, another 9 x 12 room could take me two days, and sometimes stripping a room is not the most advisable way to prep for a new surface.

It would cost $300-$400 to hang a 9 x 12 room, so imagine paying someone that much to do a job that was completed in an hour!

I think the only fair way to do it, since neither owner nor hangar can know how long it will take, is to charge by the hour. I haven't done it in about 8 years, but I used to charge $20 an hour. This was because I really wanted to encourage the owners to do it, lol. Hangars like to hang...they do not enjoy prep work.

The main thing you need to know is that you can ruin your walls by stripping the paper. If you have plaster walls, you rent a steamer and the paper will FALL off, one section at a time, leaving the plaster in exactly the same condition as it was in before it was papered.

It's stripping paper from drywall that is the problem. You can ruin drywall by using a steamer and even by using a paper tiger. Some paper is not going to come off without taking a layer of drywall with it. And it's not like you can strip one wall of a room and know how the other three walls will go. Every separate wall has it's own history, lol. There could be three layers of paper on one wall from a history of papering only one wall in the room, while the other three walls only have a single layer.

I'd say at least half of the time you see wallpaper, it was used to hide damaged walls. So if you were not the one who put the wallpaper up, you have no idea what you will find when you take it down.

If you have more questions please feel free to post...I think I've seen it all and will be happy to help.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

256 posts, read 783,352 times
I'm looking back at the $4,000 comment and LOL. I live in MD but if you want to spend $4,000 to do this, I'll fly to where ever you live!

I would think a 9 x 12 bedroom would require a minimum of 8 hours to strip and prep. Three days should be the worst case scenario.

Assuming average sized bathrooms, I'd say 1-2 days to strip and prep each.

So you are looking at 4-10 days for prep. I would think you could get it done for $20 an hour, so that's about $700-$1,600 for prep. The painters here are charging $300 per room and that includes the paint. So that's $1,200 at most for painting (if the bathrooms are small they might charge less than the $300).

Assuming 9 x 12 bedrooms and average sized baths, I think you should be able to get the job done for $1,900 - $2,800. Keep in mind those are Maryland prices though, lol.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM

723 posts, read 1,430,975 times
My whole 1600 square foot house was wallpapered by the previous owner, and the wallpaper was 6-7 layers deep. What a nightmare. I got it taken care of for $3600, and that included painting the outside of my front door and shutters, plus I had a lot of interior trim that required special attention (5 sets of French doors, crown and baseboard molding, kitchen cabinets - - he did everything but the ceilings which were fine).

BUT - - I didn't mind if the wallpaper was painted over where that was easier. He painted first with Zinsser 123, and in some places the wallpaper was loosened by that so he removed it. Then he smoothed and painted over. He worked very hard on it and still it took over a week for him to finish.

My house didn't sell (due to the market, not the paint) so I am living in it and it looks terrific. No problems with the paint-over-wallpaper, despite what I had read. I am so glad my realtor suggested this.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:20 PM

614 posts, read 1,313,802 times
TWISTS RULES FOR DIY JOBS:

Wallpapering is one of those types of jobs where, yes, you can do it yourself, but in the end, it may not be worth it. I would encourage against it unless you have the following:

1) Tool savy: e.g. you have no trouble picking up a miter saw and installing crown molding yourself with little or no instruction.

2) Cash reserves: You should have enough cash to re-drywall or re-plaster if mistakes occur.

3) Free time: You have plenty of time on your hands and are good a completing projects.

4) Real industry knowledge: You have at least some industry knowledge of materials involved, e.g. types of wallpaper, types of adhesive, types of walls, etc...

Much DIY info is focused on a narrow scope of scenarios. But there are an infinite number of possible complications to removing wallpaper in a given room. As decorchallenged stated, sometimes, you don't want to completely strip an entire area first.

I learned this lesson in my own life with hardwood floors. I read a bunch of DIY info, did plenty of research and purchased the flooring. My lack of knowledge of materials lead me to (in this case) get ripped off by a wholesaler who substituted product in a way that left me in the dark until after I took delivery. And they did the paper work in a way that left me with no recourse. $1200 gone! A flooring installer would not have fallen prey to this person. Now you are probably not a target for scammers in a wallpaper project, but you may be at risk for making any number of uninformed decisions that could put you out of more money and more time.

My rule is that if the total cost of doing a project professionally is more than $1000, I don't attempt it on my own.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:55 AM

213 posts, read 203,915 times
Take photos and measurements and then place an ad on Craigslist for bids - get references from qualified applicants and compare to other professional company bids from your local area, there's your market price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating