Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
AHHHHH!!!!!!

now that is a HOA nightmare !!!
I added some more to that post, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
yeah... roof, trim, shutters... OP???
Black door?... I don't know, kinda boring, not very inviting, looks like a black hole from the curb. Maybe with lots of glass and decorative hardware.
I do not see many black entry door.
You need to read my original post...the black door is a neutral that looks good with any door decoration. Where I live (a large subdivision filled with traditionally styled homes) (mostly Georgian and Colonial), black doors are a classic - I frequently see black doors in very upscale neighborhoods. I had a glossy black glossy front door in my last house - there is a modern starkness about them especially paired with the right hardware.

I decorate the outside of my home by using color in my plant material (including different shades of green plants), wonderful black metal urns, large glazed pots (depending on the architecture of the house), and interesting outdoor fabrics in pillows and upholstery (porch furniture)...even window treatments can be viewed from the outside and seen as a modern or traditional statement - i.e., traditional drapes versus woven wood blinds or linen shades.

Hardscape can be modern as well depending on the material used and the way it is installed...materials used for walkways, porch l, planters, driveways, etc. (stone, pavers, stained concrete, brick, gravel, etc.)

A mail box can be very modern and make a subtle but definite statement as can outdoor lighting.

So this is what I'm talking about - to put a modern twist on a house, think outside the box - think totality of the outside of the house as viewed from the street and as viewed when you are approaching front door, driving into the driveway, etc. I also like to consider how a house looks at night - good outdoor lighting can make a huge difference.

I've been to many a multi million dollar design house and their doors aren't painted purple or blue but they do carry out color schemes through plant material, hardscape, hardware, lighting and outdoor fabric. An owner of a modest home can do the same.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-08-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Pale green.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
AHHHHH!!!!!!

now that is a HOA nightmare !!!
Isn't that the truth...how would you like to live in a traditional colonial and live next to one of those?? Yuck.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:48 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Isn't that the truth...how would you like to live in a traditional colonial and live next to one of those?? Yuck.

pretty bad, what about this? i pass this all the time, let me see if I can post pictures for you guys
Attached Thumbnails
What color to paint an exterior door for a yellow house?-brownstone-5.jpg  

Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You might wanna take a peek at this.....
http://cashorterm.com/images/purple___yellow_house.jpg (broken link)

Or this......
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/82/21...d399697040.jpg

My favorite......
http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...06/090617l.jpg
omg the desert pic is really bad, really bad. love the tumbelweed !

i need to learn how to post pics like this also.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You need to read my original post...
OK, I am sorry! I agree with your post. Yes, black door CAN look very elegant and sophisticated. However we still don't know how OP's house looks like, and if this kind of door will compliment her house style or not. Except of the exterior color, we do not have any additional information.
I think we all can only guess on that till she post the picture.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
I can't believe there are four pages of suggestions and nobody has mentioned one of my favorite paint combos - yellow with white trim and dark green door and shutters.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:26 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Casa de Louis Vuitton
lol
Extreme Paint: Taking Status Symbols To The Next Level | Apartment Therapy DC

Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
pretty bad, what about this? i pass this all the time, let me see if I can post pictures for you guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Arrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!
My eyes!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating