Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,749,451 times

Advertisements

Check scratch and dent stores. Even call local independent appliance stores and ask about wall ovens that might be scratched, dented on the back or side and not visible once put in OR ones that have been returned due to once the product was delivered the buyer did not like and picked out a different one. We have a good appliance store by us that has a "scratch and dent" section. GREAT DEALS! We also have a Sears Appliance Warehouse nearby that has some great deals on appliances.

As others said, if and when you ever go to sell you are going to have a really hard time finding a buyer that is going to be willing to overlook the fact there is no oven at all.

Oh, I have a fish tank......... not in a nook like that and having it in some spot like that would be a major PITA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 AM

2,393 posts, read 2,964,344 times
If you've just bought it and plan to be there several years, I think you should do what you want and not worry about resale now. I love the wine cooler idea. There's no reason that you have to have an oven if you don't want one, but you might not want to do something so drastic as to require major remodeling if you want to add one in the future.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,088,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
As others said, if and when you ever go to sell you are going to have a really hard time finding a buyer that is going to be willing to overlook the fact there is no oven at all.
Everyone is focusing on resale; don't forget refinancing! Just in case you ever need or want to pursue that option.

We were in the middle of a major kitchen remodel when interest rates fell through the basement. Of course we wanted to get in on that! We had to have a "functioning" kitchen: storage/countertops, electricty, running water and a sink, and a cooking appliance (range) in order for our lender to even send out the appraiser.

So, before you decide to ditch the oven, you may want to have a chat with your banker and/or RE agent and find out what is considered the norm in your location.

My guess is that there are ~some~ very limited areas where no-oven would fly: stuio apts. in major cities come to mind.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,749,196 times
I had the same predicament after buying my last house.....there was an ancient wall oven, so we removed/tossed it, added 2 doors for an amazing storage space for small appliances etc.

Of course, I still had a range for cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
We bought a foreclosed house that had a broken oven, a broken dishwasher, and only one of the stove is working and the microwave.

The first thing we bought is a stainless refrigerator. We will replace the microwave, range, and dishwasher with stainless steel type.

I and my wife never use the oven so when we were shopping for one and found out that most decent ovens are $1,500 and up we decided not to have one because we simply don't use it. Usually we just use an toaster oven. Spending $2,000 on something you don't use seems like a waste.

However, there is a big hole to fill. What do you recommend?

some of my ideas are:
fish tank
flowers like orchid, plants
painting
small water fountain
add two doors (worry about matching color with older oak cabinets)
add two glass doors
add two painted or stained glass doors

(where to buy these doors if I decide to go this way?)

Many thanks,

Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,548,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
You can buy a wall oven from sears for $250 to 500. Buyers would expect one when you sell.

I spent more than that on my wall oven at Sears! I tried to buy the cheapest one I could buy and it was close to a $1,000.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,548,337 times
Definitely keep a wall oven!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,825,843 times
buy one on craigslist... you can do much better than 1500.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM

6,801 posts, read 11,448,371 times
Can anyone tell me why a wall oven is so much more expensive than a free standing range?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,843,378 times
if you really dont want to put an oven in and are worried about matching the cabinet doors, try putting a roll up door in that space. It can be made to fit the space. I bet you can match the color fine and it will function as storage for you for the time being.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,589,030 times
The wine cooler and rollup door are great ideas Look for an oven to replace as the months go by. I bet you will come across one of those oven and you can store it until you are ready to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating