Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfpaul82 View Post
i get that same response from everyone! Seems to be extremely unique. I personally could go either way with liking it or not, my fiance loves it.
I love the brick floor. Keep it. It can be very modern, especially with a future countertop selection whenever you have money in the future.

I'm going to add another vote to moss green. It's the perfect color with the brick. Don't listen to naysayers.

There was another thread last year with a kitchen being designed with a brick floor. I'll see if I can find it. I believe there were pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 PM

Here's the thread for the other kitchen with a brick floor. Her problem was trying to find the right replacement for a poor backsplash choice.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...sh-issues.html

I personally am bias but I believe my recommendation of a copper backsplash was the best solution for her floor.

Your floor has different colors---more red and orange than greys and greens like hers though.

I just thought it would be nice for you to see another kitchen with a brick floor. The mossy green would work best in your kitchen.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 AM

4 posts, read 21,289 times
wow! thanks everyone for all the replies! The rail things above the cabinets will def be gone. It looks like the mossy green seems to be the favorite. Now what if I said I was going to change the countertops to black granite look. So SS w/black trim appliances, black countertops, brick floor, same cabinets....would the mossy green still be the winner?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfpaul82 View Post
Now what if I said I was going to change the countertops to black granite look. So SS w/black trim appliances, black countertops, brick floor, same cabinets....would the mossy green still be the winner?
Mossy green works with black countertops. I wouldn't bother with the expense of installing granite on those cabinets though. Pick a less expensive black countertop. Those cabinets just aren't "granite" cabinets. If you do insist upon granite, just chose your color wisely because black granite comes in many colors, some black granite even have green in them. I personally would just go with a solid black countertop of a less expensive material.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 21,289 times
I was thinking about trying the rustoleum countertop transformation kit in either black granite or black onyx. I have read some good reviews on it. Any thoughts?

Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformationsâ„¢ - A Revolutionary Kitchen Transformation System

Old 04-15-2011, 09:15 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Nice kitchen. Green would work as well as a tan color. I think your cabinets already have a modern feel. I definitely would lose the top rail molding on the top of the cabinets though. Here is a picture that might help. Congrats on your new home!

http://www.hudsonplacerealty.com/HudsonPlaceRealty/images/images_listings/sales/2010/2279/Web_736_Park_kitchen3.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
We have an exposed brick wall like that in our kitchen, and the other 2 walls are painted a goldish color, in medium tone...it picks up one of the colors in the brick, and we think it looks nice.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
Usfpaul82,
I know noone suggested this color, but I would go with a light pale blue.
It would really showcase the brick floor, which I think is the most awesome floor I have ever seen in a kitchen.
I would also paint the kitchen cabinets bright white, with modern steel colored knobs since you will be updating the applicances in stainless eventually.
You can always try a real lite blue color, and paint is very forgiving, just change it.
I love the idea of black counter tops, and if you want granite, go for it!
I saw the countertop kit you were talking about and wondered if it would look as good as they say.
I think it was only 250.00 for the kit, suppose to look like stone I think.
That is alot cheaper than genuine stone by about a thousand dollars. LOL.
Congrats on your new home, it is beautiful and now you will make it your own.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 PM

292 posts, read 1,243,989 times
I agree with the poster that said to get a less expensive countertop than granite. If you have any feeling you may redo the kitchen in the next few years, you don't want to be stuck with a big slab of granite you can't use anymore, should you make any changes to the footprint. Ikea sells some good contemporary-styled laminate countertops. Maybe look into those.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Wow, that's some floor you have there.

I live in Virginia and that floor looks very colonial; I've seen them as original floors in historic houses. It is very unique. Interior designs with these floors can vary, but I've noticed that kitchens with these floors stick to natural materials, often using unique materials like giant raw timbers, hammered copper, another coordinating stone, and wooden doors.

I don't like green. Every green I've seen so far looks like puke.

First, how about changing the grout color in the brick? Grey or dark grey?

I think your idea of black appliances and a black countertop will look nice. I'd probably go with something white on the walls. this is unusual for me to say this because I typically do no like white walls. But whites come in any different shades and tones - the cool, warm, etc. Not a stark bright white.

Change up to black or bronze hardware.

How about a backsplash in metal?

New faucet. this is an easy change with big impact. The faucet is considered the jewelry of the kitchen.

When you accessorize, think of more texture -- weathered objects, stone (like a garden statue or urn), etc. Keep it simple though and try to mix with some modern elements.

Also, reupholster the seats of the chairs in a good quality, coordinating fabric. Good luck! Sounds like a fun project!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating