U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-24-2011, 02:21 AM

530 posts, read 426,831 times
Default Wormy Chestnut

I hope this is the correct forum for this....if not oops and sorry! Is anyone familiar with wormy chestnut and what the cost would be per board foot on reclaimed wood? The research I have managed so far leads me to believe it can be pretty valuable. My husband and I are researching whether it would be better to sell our home complete or tear it down to sell the wood (2 story home completely framed in wormy chestnut). This is NOT an advertisement, we just want to explore our options.
Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 04:56 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,394,783 times
chestnut in general is pretty valuable. But honestly, the entire reclaimed building material market is pretty finicky. You could get anywhere from $2LF to $6. It really depends on your local market--who's buying at the time you sell, whether or not you've got exactly what they are looking for, and whether or not anyone else has competing material for sale at the same time.

Honestly your best bet is to find some local architectural salvagers and ask them what they'd buy it for.

As for whether or not it is a better value to sell your house for parts or as a whole, that depends on a lot more than just the wood!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM

702 posts, read 768,076 times
Moon try Black Dog Salvage. Black Dog Architectural Salvage & Antiques They are in Va. Not sure of were you are at. But these guys were great. They purchase those Massive Mahogany Doors from me. These guys were great. If they do not have it, they can steer you to someone that can.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 AM

530 posts, read 426,831 times
Sorry been gone so long but thanks for the replies! Also an update: all the companies we have contacted have told us that we would be lucky to get $20,000 for all of it, because the market has plunged when it comes to the more "novelty, pricey" woods. so I suppose we are selling it intact, which is fine with me it is our first house together and the thought of it being tore down was depressing! lol Thanks again for the replies,
have a great day!
~wishes~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating