U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,847,141 times
Default Carpet Color Choice

I need to replace the carpet in my house. I want to put the same carpet throughout. I will probably sell the house in 2 years, so I want to get something that a buyer would like. The carpet now it old and needs to be replace now.

My problem? Most of the walls are a cream color, and they don't need repainted. Tan or cream would look the best for carpet, as I have country blue trim in the family room and kitchen. The kitchen tiles and the entryway flooring are beige. Also tan or cream seems to match about every furinture color. BUT I don't like tan or beige at all!Do I just suck it up, recarpet in one of these 2 colors? The house is dark, so I need something light. I am afraid of white, as a perpsective buyer with kids would run. Any other color ideas? Realtors usually say the earthtones are the most excepted. I just don't like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 AM

7,860 posts, read 13,750,361 times
Here's the problem. That darn beige/offwhite carpet is all the rage for selling your house. But, you can't keep it clean. I had mine done about a year ago and I've had it cleaned twice. We don't allow shoes in the house and we wipe our dog's feet before he comes in. And we have no kids! I hope this gives you an idea how hard this darn carpet is to deal with! If I had to put in carpet, it would be the color of dirt! But seriously, I will never have a carpeted house again. Give me wood or tile any day!

The odds are good that if you recarpet now; it will have to be redone in 2 years when you sell.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 AM

1,848 posts, read 5,270,547 times
I would recommend seeing what new carpeting is in the open-houses around you, specifically the newly built spec homes. A very light tan or beige or more often just an off-white semi-shag seems to be what I see around here. One tip - with new carpeting, definitely put down a premium carpet pad as it makes it feel much better to walk on and is noticeable.

An alternative is putting down hardwood or bamboo on the first floor (or everything but the kitchen/baths/bedrooms) if not throughout as that seems to be the new trend. People appear to recognize the longevity and non-allergen aspects of wood floors these days to such a degree that you may find resale better.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 AM

mbuszyu-You have some good ideas. I have been to some open houses, and to my dismay, see all earth tones. I don't think I would go the hardwood route, as I just want to put new carpet upstairs too, and be done with it.
I have not seen any off white carpet, but it might make me happier than beige/tan. Thanks for your ideas.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 AM

193 posts, read 700,106 times
My husband has been a carpet installer for 20 years and I have seen alot of houses. Right now, in my opinion, I would stick with a neutral color. They have real nice carpets that are beige in color but have alot of different varieties. The ones that are hot are beige with different flecks of color in the carpet fibers. This adds dimension to the carpet and makes it so that it is not just a flat beige color (which I hate). Go with a frieze and you will get really nice carpet that should look good as new in about 2 years if you keep it clear of stains. This type of carpet wears well and hides dirt, yet looks very nice with any decor. Good luck and make sure you get a good installer to do the job. It is amazing how many installers are out there that kick a house in rather than use a stretcher head. White looks good for a short time and home buyers (with kids) would know that in a short amount of time it would need replaced. Go with something that works with any color furniture and decor so the home buyer does not see more money signs when they look at your house. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:15 AM

3,066 posts, read 6,989,686 times
Our carpet in our living room is old, but it is an off-white. It is the main traffic area between the garage and the kitchen! GRRR!!!! You can't even tell it is off-white anymore. It looks almost gray in some areas. We HATE it!

Can you wait until you are ready to sell so the carpet looks new?

We are putting in hardwood as soon as we can pay cash for it.

Dawn

Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,017,235 times
In all 3 of our homes we have had white/off-white carpet and been fine. This is with two inside dogs (one was rather large at 80 lbs) along w/ the two kiddo's, ourselves and always a host of others in & out. I've never had a problem keeping our white carpets clean. As a matter of fact we don't have "house rules" when it comes to shoes or no shoes but rather whatever is most comfortable to you. In fact your bare feet do more damage to the carpet than your shoes will. Your feet have natural oils and dirt unlike your shoes. Now that does not mean that we run out in the rain and mud and wear those shoes all thru the house either . Just have a rug at the inside of the door that can help reduce/trap the dirt off of shoes. I also don't stand at the door and wipe off the doggie feets either. One rule though w/ the light colored carpets is to NEVER steam clean it. When you steam clean your carpets it removes the stainguard making your carpets more vulnerable to stains. Rather have it dry cleaned. We have our carpets dry cleaned about once every quarter so like 4 times a year. We have spilt tea and had no problems getting it up. One of the kids got bright red lipgloss on the carpet and it took awhile but it finally came up. Even blood came up w/ no problems. The first two homes w/ the white carpet we moved and sold after 5 years and the carpets looked great. Our current house was built in 99 and it still has the original carpet and it still looks good as new even on the stairs and in the kids bedrooms. Vacuuming and dry cleaning are the best ways to keep it looking good for many years. And as one poster said you really should get a high quality pad for any carpet you get as it will help the carpet last longer.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,794,442 times
Default Carpet caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
My husband has been a carpet installer for 20 years and I have seen alot of houses. Right now, in my opinion, I would stick with a neutral color. They have real nice carpets that are beige in color but have alot of different varieties. The ones that are hot are beige with different flecks of color in the carpet fibers. This adds dimension to the carpet and makes it so that it is not just a flat beige color (which I hate). Go with a frieze and you will get really nice carpet that should look good as new in about 2 years if you keep it clear of stains. This type of carpet wears well and hides dirt, yet looks very nice with any decor. Good luck and make sure you get a good installer to do the job. It is amazing how many installers are out there that kick a house in rather than use a stretcher head. White looks good for a short time and home buyers (with kids) would know that in a short amount of time it would need replaced. Go with something that works with any color furniture and decor so the home buyer does not see more money signs when they look at your house. Good luck!
This is the best advice. If you don't have open houses or spec homes in your area, just go to a carpet store and look around and explain to the salesperson your dilemma.

I have seen in some home lighter coloured carpeting with shades of other colours. They really do look nice. Perhaps a carpet with a very muted pattern that had some of the blue that is in your decorating. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 AM

8,204 posts, read 23,501,061 times
Default Neutral Sells

I agree. There are some beautiful beige-tans out there now.

Mine is about 4 years old and it's a light tan/dark beige....kind of a cream-latte color. When the light catches it, it has a warm light gold sheen to it.

It goes with everything and is hiding the dirt quite well. I have 2 large dogs that drag in an unbelieveable amount of dirt (and one is a big shedder) and it still looks pretty good. My two big tools are a Dyson (love it!) and Woolite Pet Spray (to spot clean for stains).

I personally hate carpet and have plans to tile (in a neutral) as it will be healthier and hold up better over time (plus I just like the look of wood or tile better than carpet), but if you have to carpet - go for a neutral .

Old 08-06-2007, 03:15 AM

Thanks for everyone's great feedback. I do need to recarpet soon, rather than waiting another 2 years. The carpet is terrible, and destroys the look of an otherwise nice house.There are 5, yep 5 different kinds of carpet in the house. When I bought it in January, that was on the list to change first.So, I have been living with this for 8 months.

The new carpet will see very light wear as it is just me. I only go upstairs once a week or so. I am going to look at carpets styles this week. I might be happy with a cream with maybe a few flecks of color as someone here suggested. I did not know that was available. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating