U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:12 PM

70 posts, read 206,774 times

Advertisements

Does it matter what type of tile you use for your backsplash behind a slide in stove? I read that glass tile does not stand up to heat well. I see it used alot in pictures. Any tips or advice would be greatly welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 06:27 PM

17,606 posts, read 23,805,174 times
personally... I wouldn't want to have grout lines to clean.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:08 PM

12,318 posts, read 12,046,488 times
glass tile, is a trend, while nice today, it will become dated....

and then it will have to be "updated" thank you House Hunters.
Better to stick with something classic that never goes out of style, unless of course you like to re-do, every trend change, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
personally... I wouldn't want to have grout lines to clean.
I feel the same way about tile behind a stove or cooktop.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:10 AM

691 posts, read 1,290,785 times
Ceramic or porcelain tile are good choices for backsplashes and takes heat just fine. Grout can be sealed, plus it isn't going to get very dirty on the walls unless you are splashing grease on it or something.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 AM

10,561 posts, read 8,935,196 times
I think a lot of it depends on the setup. My freestanding oven is next to my counter. I had solid granite installed on the countertop and backsplash (up to the cabinets) and carried the solid granite around to the area behind the oven from the oven up to the vent.

I didnt see any sense in installing solid granite behind the stove from the stove down to the floor so I had granite tiles installed there. The granite tiles look so nice that I almost wish I'd used them everywhere else.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/HomeKitchen008-3.jpg (broken link)

EDITED to apologize for the size of the photo. I thought I knew how to re-size but apparently not.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I think a lot of it depends on the setup. My freestanding oven is next to my counter. I had solid granite installed on the countertop and backsplash (up to the cabinets) and carried the solid granite around to the area behind the oven from the oven up to the vent.

I didnt see any sense in installing solid granite behind the stove from the stove down to the floor so I had granite tiles installed there. The granite tiles look so nice that I almost wish I'd used them everywhere else.

EDITED to apologize for the size of the photo. I thought I knew how to re-size but apparently not.
Wow that is beautiful granite!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 PM

10,561 posts, read 8,935,196 times
Thanks so much. I have a very small house (1200 sq ft). One of the benefits is that I can remodel without spending much $$$. A friend of mine made the cabinets; it was his first time doing any kind of carpentry work but he's a perfectionist and did a great job. He also oversaw the installation of the granite.

Before the remodel, the oven was built into the wall. My friend turned that area into a pantry (on the left). I lost some cabinet space when he decided to put the free-standing oven where he did but I dont care. The kitchen looks so much better now than it did before.

My point in posting earlier is that granite tiles can be obtained fairly inexpensively and make a great backdrop for ovens.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1 View Post
Does it matter what type of tile you use for your backsplash behind a slide in stove? I read that glass tile does not stand up to heat well. I see it used alot in pictures. Any tips or advice would be greatly welcomed!
I don't know what style your kitchen is or what your personal tastes are, but I have always liked hexagonal ceramic tile. Grout lines can definitely be a pain but a charcoal grout in a cooking area doesn't show much wear and doesn't require frequent cleaning.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

I think your kitchen turned out beautiful! If you dont mind me asking where did you get your granite? I didnt know you could buy granite tiles. I am just in the begining stage of learning right now for my remodel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating