Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM

17 posts, read 55,663 times

Advertisements

I want to keep my house looking modern but the open laundry/office doesnt represent the modern feel(messy).

Any ideas on how to enclose it but still keep the modern look(tight budget)? I was thinking frosted glass but feel this would be expensive and hard to DIY.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Hmm. I'd be tempted to just wall it up and slap a door on.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM

16 posts, read 23,251 times
I would completely close up that opening into the laundry room with dry wall.

For a modern feel, look into getting a frosted, pocket-door with white trim for the laundry room.

Put some bold paint and art on the walls and it will completely transform the space.

Love the shelving, and high ceilings, BTW!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Frosted glass is actually MUCH cheaper and easier to work with than drywall.
I have used many smaller glass shops that can fabricate stuff that looks every bnit as high end as the stuff in designer bathroom catalog for a FRACTION of the cost!!!
If you are worried about weight / handling I would suggest frosted Lexan-- very nice product so long as you deal with static that can issue in laundry room.

I would lose the non-modern ceiling fan and think about getting some sleek way of making the staircase legal,maybe cable system, tempered glass, Lexan, even appropriate steel with a sleek industrial look....

Old 06-15-2011, 04:30 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c1wes View Post
I want to keep my house looking modern but the open laundry/office doesnt represent the modern feel(messy).

Any ideas on how to enclose it but still keep the modern look(tight budget)? I was thinking frosted glass but feel this would be expensive and hard to DIY.

Or glass blocks~

Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I agree about the frosted glass it is not nearly as expensive as you might think. I would put in a pocket door if I had the room to do so. That way if you were home and company free you could leave it open if you choose to.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 PM

17 posts, read 55,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Frosted glass is actually MUCH cheaper and easier to work with than drywall.
I have used many smaller glass shops that can fabricate stuff that looks every bnit as high end as the stuff in designer bathroom catalog for a FRACTION of the cost!!!
If you are worried about weight / handling I would suggest frosted Lexan-- very nice product so long as you deal with static that can issue in laundry room.

I would lose the non-modern ceiling fan and think about getting some sleek way of making the staircase legal,maybe cable system, tempered glass, Lexan, even appropriate steel with a sleek industrial look....
Ceiling fan will be removed but its down the list a little.

The staircase was a top priority(carrying the cable from upstairs) but we got used to it for now although it is dangerous for company. I lack the creativity to see the big picture though.

When you say cheaper than drywall how much would you guess it would cost for my project?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Looks like about 18- 20 sq ft of glass for the corner. Nice quality tempered 3/8" frosted / blast finished glass is maybe $15/sq ft installed in "standard" commercial style low profile channels. Fancy high chrome channels could double your costs. If you want additional trim at the corner (as opposed to silicone sealant....) that might add another hundred bucks. Hard ware to hang a frosted glass panel, get it to swing, and have a catch / knob probably will also cost about $200, and you should get that whole think for around $300. Whole project ought to be under a grand...

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Try something different!

Or turn it into art work~

Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Wow ~Wildcard, I needed beauty in my life. Those Pix are really nice. When I was redoing some items in my house, I considered similar designs. Sadly, I had trouble finding someone to fabricate and install interior partitions like the ones you're showing. I wanted custom shoji-like sliding interior doors, but I eventually gave up.

I couldn't find a contractor in my area to custom make and/or install the screens. At least not in my price range. If you want stuff other than the "norm" like drywall, or regular windows...it may be difficult to get the look you want. Maybe that type of stuff's easier to find in California.

BTW, I agree with Chett. I think the staircase is Dangerous. I believe you need hand railings for you and your visitor's safety. You can get white ones to blend into the wall, if you wish. Maybe you can get the contractor to do that. I also agree that while you're spending money, the light fixture should be replaced.

I just read the OP want's DIY. Again, I agree with Chett. I replaced the glass in a picture window myself. I ordered the glass plate and put it in, nailed it shut and cauked it. But in my case the wooden stuff to hold the glass in was already there. I really don't recommend DIY, but if you want to do that, call and find out how much glass will cost. You'll also need to mitre cut pieces of wood to hold the *tempered* glass in place.

I personally cannot use a mitre saw to save my life...so I recommend you try to get the lumber yard or whomever to do the cuts to your measurements... You'll also need to read about window construction. There are a couple of pieces of wood thingys with different names that you'll have to put in (with evenly mitred corners or they'll look bad) to keep the glass in place.

Last edited by kinkytoes; 06-16-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating