Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 PM

518 posts, read 1,816,207 times

Advertisements

looking for suggestions on the last bit of tile for my bathroom. as you can see from the pic, ive done classic subway tile along with a border with glass mosaic. i want to use something different for the area above the tile, but not sure what. the floor is going to be dark color 12x12 tile. i was thinking about using larger rectangle tile like 4x8 or even bigger, or maybe some kind of 12x12. even considered doing different style of mosaics, although thats more expensive. home depot does have some nice 12x12 sheets of 1x2 glass tile on sale for $5 each that i was considering because theyre very similar to the mosaic i already have. anyway, thoughts and opinions please

PS: i havent grouted yet thats why it looks like that

Last edited by TeamExit; 06-22-2011 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
What do you mean by "the area above the tile?" I can't see anything above the tile.

Do you mean from where the subway stops and up to the ceiling?

How high up does the subway go? And does it extend higher/lower in other areas of the bathroom?

(Personally, I'd take the subway tile all the way up in the bath area.)

Not really sure what you're asking.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM

18,385 posts, read 31,494,900 times
Why did you pick glass tile with the subway, one seems classic while the other is trendy.

it looks nice though, but subway tiles have stood the test of time, glass tiles however.....i am not to sure about????

Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What do you mean by "the area above the tile?" I can't see anything above the tile.

Do you mean from where the subway stops and up to the ceiling?

How high up does the subway go? And does it extend higher/lower in other areas of the bathroom?

(Personally, I'd take the subway tile all the way up in the bath area.)

Not really sure what you're asking.
i thought it would be pretty simple from the pic.. you can see the tub, the subway tile goes all the way to the ceiling there. you can also see the lower half of the wall where is tiled already, the upper half is not (above the glass tile border). looking for suggestions for that upper half (but outside the shower area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Why did you pick glass tile with the subway, one seems classic while the other is trendy.

it looks nice though, but subway tiles have stood the test of time, glass tiles however.....i am not to sure about????
just a design i came up with. i like the subway tile look, but i didnt really want to go all out for the "classic" or "antique" bathroom. i really like glass tile, and thought it would modernize it a bit. the far wall in the shower is also done with the same glass tile

Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM

OK, it looks like it is just unfinished dry wall above the glass tile, correct?....
I would just paint it a greenish color that is in the tiles. It is hard to also say because I cant get a full idea of the whole bathroom. But since the glass tile is a little busy (?), I would just paint the wall above so as to make the glass tiles be the focal point.

Can we get more pictures?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
OK, it looks like it is just unfinished dry wall above the glass tile, correct?....
I would just paint it a greenish color that is in the tiles. It is hard to also say because I cant get a full idea of the whole bathroom. But since the glass tile is a little busy (?), I would just paint the wall above so as to make the glass tiles be the focal point.

Can we get more pictures?
yea its just unfinished backerboard above, i need to tile not paint it due to the textures and thinset for the seams. its hard to get better pics because the room is very small, thats already taken basically from the doorway

Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 PM

just do the same subway tile as to keep it uniform, I would think....

Old 06-26-2011, 03:28 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,139,058 times
The tile border almost looks like a picture frame...from what is showing. Not sure if that's the case?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 AM

37 posts, read 86,703 times
Recycled Bottle Glass!! That area would be perfect for 2x2" Bottle Glass tile or you can even do like a gradient of colors so that it starts as one color and fades into another. Make sure to get a hands on sample of whatever you choose though!

Some places that will help you:
Bathroom Tile Pictures -Place where you can order tile and has pictures you can get ideas from.
http://www.houzz.com -This place has designer homes and blends you can model after.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
The tile border almost looks like a picture frame...from what is showing. Not sure if that's the case?
Yeah, I thought that was framing a mirror, which I thought was an odd choice. Now I see that it's drywall. The picture was just deceptive because it showed only a corner of the drywall.

OP, I would just paint the wall a color that flatters the green tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating