U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM

81 posts, read 177,882 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's a horrible idea to do a sea shell backsplash in the kitchen? I'm not looking to resell, ever. But we live mins from the Atlantic and I wanted to design my own backsplash in our new kitchen. Something like the picture attached, only with sea horses also. I have a very large collection of shells and always collecting more. I love to be crafty. I know this would be a huge project, but I would love to do it. I know it would need to be sealed, but what do you think? I want to be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Sea Shell Backsplash-seashellbacksplash.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,894,042 times
1. It's your house. You should do with it whatever makes you happy.
2. That's a lovely backsplash in the photo. I can see how it could make an attractive, intriguing statement in your kitchen.
3. If you do it yourself, it could be a great project...a great creative outlet.

I say go for it.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 PM

81 posts, read 177,882 times
Thank you!!! I feel the same way. I want to leave my mark...so to speak. I love being creative and hope hubby will think it's a good idea too!!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 100,935,507 times
I think it's a great idea, especially since you live in a beach area. Go for it!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 PM

48,189 posts, read 69,157,005 times
I would do it rather in the bathrooms. You could make it a really great sea/beach project with all you shells, seahorses, etc. and other stuff that is related to the ocean location. Even other rooms, like dining or bedrooms in that theme would look great, but kitchen? hmmmm... I just can imagine that this kind of back splash will be hard to keep clean.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 AM

15,629 posts, read 16,687,499 times
you could also do it on a board that was measures to fit the back splash. screw that into the wall and do your project on that. then you could take it with you if you moved or take it own if you wanted to change it. I think it would be very cool with the added seahorses

Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM

16,904 posts, read 28,364,668 times
I say it is your house like the other posters say, and it is not up to us whether we like it or not, it doesnt matter, you have to like it......because you have to live with it.

and as far as re-sale, who cares....you will cross that bridge when you get to it, and maybe you might not ever get to that point....

so enjoy your sea shells......

Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM

292 posts, read 1,181,966 times
I could see doing it the bathroom like the other poster mentioned. For the kitchen, maybe do it everywhere but behind the stove (maybe use a stainless sheet there). I could see that being a nightmare to clean behind the stove unless you sealed it really well.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:44 PM

63 posts, read 118,484 times
Agree with some of the above. If you do it in the kitchen, don't put it everywhere just a above stove or sink depending on your setup. I like the bathroom idea though. I think it justs fits better from a design and decorating perspective. The example you showed did look nice and was tastefully done. Not as cluttered looking as I thought it would be when I look closer at the large view. Another thought would be to put it on a raised panel type backing creating a shell arrangement that could be hung anywhere. This way if you do it in a size that could fit behind your stove you can put it there or if you get tired of it you can move it anywhere. Plus, it would be easy to take down and clean. Other benefits would be no issue with needing to remove, redecorate or resale, and you still are being creative.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:49 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,087,342 times
I'm not fond of it...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating