Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Here's a couple to reminisce over:

Hay on the walls:
Attachment 83193

LP's:
Attachment 83191

...I don't even know what to call it...
Attachment 83192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I always try to use things the client has collected instead of stuff like that.
So much better.

We live in the mountains and lodge-style homes are king. Another lady I know built a large home and filled it with the furniture she already had, which is really beautiful.

Can you believe it? She was apologetic that she didn't go out and buy a bunch of lodge furniture when she moved here. Her furniture is truly one-of-a-kind. She has painted European folk pieces mixed in with more refined wood pieces. Not only is her home very pretty, it has so much authenticity. It looks well put together and pleasing to the eye, yet there's not a hint of the furniture showroom look!

I told her that keeping her original furniture, which she has collected over a lifetime, was the best thing she could have done.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:

Hay on the walls:

LP's:

[small voice] I like the records ... [/small voice]

Although, that's another decorating instance where less is definitely more!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:

Hay on the walls:
Attachment 83193

LP's:
Attachment 83191

Attachment 83192
This looks like "That Girl" on a bad acid trip !!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'm really hoping you meant vertical, not horizontal blinds.
Thank you! - meant vertical.

Quote:
Do you mean hemp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
By "grass like stuff" I suspect grasscloth. I actually love the look of grasscloth, as well. But unless you have a cleaner, I assumed the upkeep would be a pain, and it would attract dust.
Are hemp and grasscloth made of natural fibers and would they be considered wallpaper? I'm confused.

I was looking at samples of wallpaper and they had a pattern that looked exactly like grasscloth and also saw one that was more reedy looking. Can't remember what it was made of but my MIL has similar wallpaper down in Florida so I'll ask her. I was seriously considering using it but glad I didn't since you mentioned the dust. The thought of dusting the walls all the time makes me shudder!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I'm sure this has been said....but everything being too "matchy matchy". A house is supposed to evolve over time IMO.

Overly ornate kitchens. Grease and dirt gets caught in all of those fancy crevices. Ick.

Oh and those bathroom "rug sets". Those drive me batty. Shocked to see them in some of the higher-end houses for sale in my neck of the woods. Other than a tub mat, who wants rugs (aka GERMcatchers) in the bathroom? Ick again.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
How about fake art?

You know what I am talking about.

People who buy generic, mass-produced art just because it matches their furniture/color theme.

There is an painting gallery here. I was speaking with the owner who told me that he's not featuring an artist or a theme, per se. He says he is going for a certain level of quality and certain color combos so that people can buy stuff that matches stuff in their house.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
Are hemp and grasscloth made of natural fibers and would they be considered wallpaper? I'm confused.
Hemp and grasscloth are similar in appearance. You can get it in different types of weaves. Some are more uniform than others. They may come in a vertical stripe, horizontal stripe or something that looks more like a weave. There are linen looking wall covers too. You can get them in either natural materials or vinyl. Any fabric or natural fiber will collect dust and be harder to keep clean than a vinyl--which doesn't look as natural, but hey, you can hose it down.

I think the biggest challenge with natural materials after cleaning it, is uniformity. Its harder to match seams since there are not repeats and color lots can vary.

Real Grasscloth: Yoshi Grasscloth Wallcovering - Creative Wallcovering,Inc (http://www.creativewallcovering.com/pc/18ntf-5002774/naturaltextures4/Yoshi+Grasscloth+Wallcovering.html - broken link)

Vinyl Grasscloth look: QT25602 - Wallpaper | Quintessential | StevesWallpaper.com

Natural woven wall coverings: Natural Textures IV - Creative Wallcovering,Inc (http://www.creativewallcovering.com/wallpaper-naturaltextures4.html - broken link)

Vinyl Hemp Look: Book #: 456, Steve's Wallpaper

Vinyl Linen Look: Book #: 1872, Steve's Wallpaper

Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How about fake art?

You know what I am talking about.

People who buy generic, mass-produced art just because it matches their furniture/color theme.

There is an painting gallery here. I was speaking with the owner who told me that he's not featuring an artist or a theme, per se. He says he is going for a certain level of quality and certain color combos so that people can buy stuff that matches stuff in their house.
As a painter, this just makes me sad.

People either don't know how to find original art, or they are afraid. How may we HELP you?

It's not as expensive as one may think to buy original pieces, and, if you get lucky, you may at the very least fund your great-grandchildren's college educations!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
As a painter, this just makes me sad.

People either don't know how to find original art, or they are afraid. How may we HELP you?

It's not as expensive as one may think to buy original pieces, and, if you get lucky, you may at the very least fund your great-grandchildren's college educations!
YES. My wife and I only buy and display original art OR art we've created ourselves (mostly just photos we've done - neither of us are artists).

I can't stand the idea that someone else has the same thing we have hanging in their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating