Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
It seems you are probably one of those people who do not like painted paneling.
I am indeed one of those people who does not like paneling, painted or otherwise. Hence the reason for posting on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
If you look at the steps for painting that I posted above, you will see that it is a much more involved process than just paining it with Kilz. I would think the filling and sanding would be a very important step.
Yes, I have done the more involved process of filling and sanding as noted in the steps you were so gracious to post.

It's a ton of work to paint paneling and IMO, it still looks tacky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How about fake art?

You know what I am talking about.

People who buy generic, mass-produced art just because it matches their furniture/color theme.
I've thought about this too. My designer friend does not have a single piece of original art in her home, and it's not as if she can't afford it. Even sadder is that the galleries where we live are full of gorgeous stuff.

But I think a lot of people do have the idea they can't afford it. Or they've just never thought of going into a gallery.

My mother is an artist and I grew up with paintings everywhere! Right now, I have three originals, one print that I really just love, and a print of an old spice label in the kitchen. I'm not really settled down yet, or I'd have a lot more.

The most heartbreaking thing is when you see a painting you love, but just can't get it at the time ... and it sells!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I've thought about this too. My designer friend does not have a single piece of original art in her home, and it's not as if she can't afford it. Even sadder is that the galleries where we live are full of gorgeous stuff.

But I think a lot of people do have the idea they can't afford it. Or they've just never thought of going into a gallery.

My mother is an artist and I grew up with paintings everywhere! Right now, I have three originals, one print that I really just love, and a print of an old spice label in the kitchen. I'm not really settled down yet, or I'd have a lot more.

The most heartbreaking thing is when you see a painting you love, but just can't get it at the time ... and it sells!
Affordable orginal art is everywhere! Think about art students, etc.

You can even draw something yourself and then send it to an artist online and they will paint it for you in oils, acrylics, whatever for a couple hundred bucks!

But you're right...most people think original art and they think tens of thousands of dollars.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
remember folks, for many people a couple hundered dollars is about as expensive as a couple thousand...

i do not and never will have a "couple hundered" to spend on a painting...ive got blls to pay, mouths to feed...*shrugs*

Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But you're right...most people think original art and they think tens of thousands of dollars.
Or maybe they just don't like it. Or prefer prints by classic artists. Or don't care.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Or maybe they just don't like it. Or prefer prints by classic artists. Or don't care.
Well, yeah. But you can use that line for any decorating idea posed on here.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:01 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I so agree with you. In one Trading Spaces (worst idea ever) didn't she do a room in chicken feathers? Really?!?

I've cringed when I watched some of the stuff they'd do on the home staging shows. OMG. They covered an old linoleum floor in stick down tiles. The original floor was fine, but looked out-dated. So the fix was to use stick downs? So those will start peeling up in about a month and the floor will be damaged underneath. Nothing like forcing your buyer into a quick flooring purchase.
OMG, remember the Trading Spaces when Hildy put the straw on the walls? They were famous for putting a fitted twin sheet on some foam and calling it a sofa. Yuck.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What's not to like? The galleries around here are filled with seriously beautiful paintings that are full of color and life. I live in the mountains and they draw a lot of artists.

The people I'm talking about can afford it. I don't think they've considered it, which is sort of odd considering the cost of their houses and furnishings. I'm just surprised that most of them haven't ventured into a local gallery for at least one unique item because all the prints seem the same from house to house.

I used to live in a city and I swear we have better artwork in the galleries here. I guess the artists are more inspired by the natural surroundings.

The one person who has a house with cool furniture she's collected over a lifetime does have some interesting stuff on the walls and it's not all expensive. Some of them are drawings.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I think most of us would prefer original art - but some of us probably can't afford the kind of original art that we are attracted to so prints nicely framed are the next best thing. I always think it is so incredibly snobby to insist that everyone should have original art.

"Affordable" original art is often not that great. Beautifully painted art is almost always expensive.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I've bought both lovely original artwork and lovely prints on eBay. Many people look down on that site but there are some truly lovely works there at very affordable prices. Another good source for original art is etsy, although I've found it to be much more expensive than eBay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating