Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'm sure our kids will, at some point, be making fun of the way we decorate (or maybe they already do?? ). I am reminded of one of my daughter-in-laws who referred to my collection of antique dog prints, paintings and etchings as the "wall of dogs we never knew." She could only imagine that she would only want to hang pictures of her own pets and didn't understand why I would want "all those old dog pictures."

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-19-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
These make me wince!

Spoiler

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
LuckyGem, I think bean-bag chairs ARE ugly.

But gosh, I find them soooo comfy! Like every other college student in the 70's my DH and I had a couple. I only got rid of them because the stuffing was coming out.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,801 times
Following trends instead of your heart or feelings of peace within your home. They are sometimes contradictory and it shows in the end.............. (ie, nostalgia people that slap on a granite counter to the tune of 5 grand and it always feels cold to them) HGTV shows are to inspire NOT dictate! Besides they are plugged like no tomorrow!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I mean is...everywhere I go I mentally redecorate. Every so often, I see something so alarming that it makes me cringe.

The other day I went to the doctor's office. I had already mentally redecorated the waiting room, which was depressingly drab in shades of tan, green and mauve and faded drab art. There was a huge lamp on a teeny side table...but the worst was yet to come.

In the exam room I was forced to view a counter top and cabinet of Formica in a design MADE TO LOOK LIKE UNFINISHED FIBERBOARD. I just had to avert my eyes as best I could.

What sets your decorating alarm off?
Copycats! Doesn't matter what, where, or whatever. The whole idea of "trendy". As much as I like HGTV they are the most horrible offenders of 'individuality'.

I think it was last year or so that every house "needed" a room with a red wall. The last couple of episodes make me think "poop-brown" is going to be the new "red".

When we were house hunting we noted how the same "trendy" themes were being copied. Tile floors, granite countertops, (cafeteria) stainless steel appliances, jacuzzi whirlpool master bath 'suites', ....ugh!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
This thread has been quite amusing.

Generally speaking, I dislike the majority of what they show on HGTv. Other thoughts:

There's wallpaper and there's nice wallpaper. The $10 a roll stuff from Lowes is not the same as de Gournay wallpaper.

I don't like oak cabinets. I don't like special glazes on cabinets. Some people do.

Personally, I don't like laminate flooring, but I can admit that there are times that is appropriate.

Cheap leather furniture makes me want to hurl.

I like white trim. I also like stained wood trim, but in most homes white looks better.

I personally think Genevieve Gorder is a good designer. What she does on her HGTV show is much different from what she did on Trading Spaces. The same can be said for Doug Wilson and Laurie Smith. However, I cannot understand why the powers that be at HGTV are in love of Vern Yip. I don't think he's a bad designer, it's just not my taste.

I think personal photos are for ALBUMS not walls. A photo here and there, yes, but an entire wall? No ma'am. Where I'm from people also have paintings of their kids done. HATE those.

White sheets, always.

Mauve can be a very sophisticated color. One just has to know how to use it.

I personally love fresh flowers, but not everyone can afford to have them in their house. I know how much I pay for them. There are very high quality silk flowers out there. And you have to be a member of the trade to purchase them.

Mini blinds and vertical blinds are a no.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM

754 posts, read 1,739,337 times
LOL This thread is funny. Things that make me cringe:

(1) Anything with roosters or barn animals (wall paper, ceramics, paintings, etc.). I just find it weird.

(2) Colored molding/trim. I personally like the look of crisp white, molding against a colored wall versus yellow molding and red walls (yes I've seen a house like this).

(3) Painted cabinets.

(4) White cabinets.

(5) CARPET IN THE BATHROOMS (whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht?)

(6) Red or green carpet.

(7) When people try to do a "beach theme" and they are really channeling a 1970s Key West motel.

(8) Laminate wood furniture (from like the 80s)

Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,557 times
Sports memorabilia....Whenever I see the words "Worlds Champians" I don't know weather to laugh or cry. I have seen people with framed pictures of entire teams in there homes. Don't even get me started with NASCAR, I only pray that science can come up with a cure for these people.

Over rated on these bueatiful homes shows......Neutral color though out the house. Just drab browns and off whites and creams....BORING

I agree with the white walls and white blinds. Why not just put a dentist chair right in the middle?

Rugs in a bathroom....I remember years ago reading right here on city data of someone saying they could not talk their mom out taking a rug out of a bathroom even after it had mushrooms growing out of it.....And you wonder why the country is in the shape it in.

Contemporary anything.....Is this your house or the Starship Enterprise? Yeah those blue lights really bring it all together .....Is there anything uglier than an old contemporary house?

Conversation pieces that no one except the home owner wants to have a conversation about....."This sword was once carried by......or....This manifold (Thats heavy enough to kill all of us hanging over our heads) was once part of a French Locomotive invented by Claude So and So.....Its actaully worse than a Jahova witness visit because your in their house.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
This thread has been quite amusing.

Generally speaking, I dislike the majority of what they show on HGTv. Other thoughts:

There's wallpaper and there's nice wallpaper. The $10 a roll stuff from Lowes is not the same as de Gournay wallpaper.

I don't like oak cabinets. I don't like special glazes on cabinets. Some people do.

Personally, I don't like laminate flooring, but I can admit that there are times that is appropriate.

Cheap leather furniture makes me want to hurl.

I like white trim. I also like stained wood trim, but in most homes white looks better.

I personally think Genevieve Gorder is a good designer. What she does on her HGTV show is much different from what she did on Trading Spaces. The same can be said for Doug Wilson and Laurie Smith. However, I cannot understand why the powers that be at HGTV are in love of Vern Yip. I don't think he's a bad designer, it's just not my taste.

I think personal photos are for ALBUMS not walls. A photo here and there, yes, but an entire wall? No ma'am. Where I'm from people also have paintings of their kids done. HATE those.

White sheets, always.

Mauve can be a very sophisticated color. One just has to know how to use it.

I personally love fresh flowers, but not everyone can afford to have them in their house. I know how much I pay for them. There are very high quality silk flowers out there. And you have to be a member of the trade to purchase them.

Mini blinds and vertical blinds are a no.
Well everything you mentioned here, not that it is wrong, nor right is just your taste, which you are entitled to.

one thing, I cant stand is white moulding, to me it should be painted the same color as the wall. it is just my opinion, doesnt make it wright wrong or anything.

the mini blind thing, thats your opinion, many people like them.

fresh flowers, i have allergies, nor would i want my home to look like a mortuary.

white sheets always, ??? as in bedding, because if so, definitley not in my home.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,817 times
I have never seen sponge painted walls (popular in approximately 1987 :-) that I thought were done attractively.

I also hate cheap fake plants. Though my mom had some expensive arrangements that were actually quite pretty... until she got cats. And stopped dusting on an hourly basis. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating