Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times

Advertisements

Yes, I had to see that, and it left me much amused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 02:56 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Actually I suspect w/ a little taste the furniture could be made to look good. In addition to the plastic covers, I think it looks so horrible because it is apparently a "set" *gags*. I can actually see one or two of the garish pieces working in a thoughtfully designed setting...but all together it is like Peptobarf.
I have to agree with you minus the plastic covers. I hate plastic covers. My grandmother never used to take the plastic off her living room lamp shades. DROVE ME NUTS! She said it saved on dust. I am not an historian of furniture but it seems victorian? I feel it has been reupholstered though. I have seen beautifully designed rooms with one of these style chairs in it. Not my taste at all but interesting nether the less.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have heard that for a lot of older folks, those custom plastic covers are a BIG DEAL, especially in the NE. I even have read that folks used to buy plastic covers (same type of material as on that garish furniture) for their luggage.

Hard to fathom.

Looks like something straight out of a bordello, only . . . can't imagine clients enjoying a lounge on that plastic . . . can't you just feel your skin stick to the plastic . . . hee hee hee
I have horrible memories of sitting on furniture that had custom made plastic covers on it. Yes. You did stick to the plastic. And yes. People were proud of it. The same people left the cellophane wrappers on their lampshades.

Thankfully this was not in my own house.

(I was always expecting the lamps to catch on fire.)

Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
With or without plastic, with the pink or without it - that style is simply hideous to me.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Actually I suspect w/ a little taste the furniture could be made to look good. In addition to the plastic covers, I think it looks so horrible because it is apparently a "set" *gags*. I can actually see one or two of the garish pieces working in a thoughtfully designed setting...but all together it is like Peptobarf.
LOL, the second time I saw the pictures I kinda figured that out, because the wall colors and the 2 things hanging on the wall that matched the wall had absolutely nothing to do with the color of the couches, a good laugh though........

Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have to agree with you minus the plastic covers. I hate plastic covers. My grandmother never used to take the plastic off her living room lamp shades. DROVE ME NUTS! She said it saved on dust. I am not an historian of furniture but it seems victorian? I feel it has been reupholstered though. I have seen beautifully designed rooms with one of these style chairs in it. Not my taste at all but interesting nether the less.
Sadly, I suspect it is fake-French. It looks like a reproduction of reproduction Louix XIV furniture to me.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:25 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
I don't know if the following Craigslist offering is a mistake...but it made me wince:
!!!!!!!!!!! LIVING SET FROM ITALY YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/fuo/2696559150.html - broken link)
Actually, it made me giggle.
Barbie called.
She wants her couch back.

(Awesome find kinkytoes!)

Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have to agree with you minus the plastic covers. I hate plastic covers. My grandmother never used to take the plastic off her living room lamp shades. DROVE ME NUTS! She said it saved on dust.
Is there an age limit for when that starts to happen ?

I caught my 70-something father doing this when I went out to visit him last time. Luckily he was going into the hospital for major surgery (OK, not so lucky)...but it gave me time to do a bit of "house-keeping".

I also washed dozens of area rugs. He seems to have an area rug fetish. He buys new ones and puts them on top of the old . Some were 3-4 deep. I washed what was salvageable and threw away the rest. Single Old Man Decorating has got to be the worst!

I'm a bad daughter and going straight to hell fer sure.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

i'm a bad daughter and going straight to hell fer sure.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
1. Those ugly fabric borders pasted around the tops of walls.
2. Beige walls with white trim (reminds me of cheap suburban apartments).
3. Lighting so bright that it looks like you're in a bus terminal.
4. Laminate floors
5. Cheap faux leaded glass front doors, usually oak.
6. Vertical blinds like the ones in apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating