Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,387,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I believe in good (and bad) design, but I mostly think it doesn't belong in a home. "Good design" in this context is whatever the person who lives there likes, whatever is comfortable and meaningful to them. Unfortunately, you can't take photos of that and put it in a portfolio, magazine, or coffee table book.

This whole thread reminds me of that Frasier episode, "Give Him the Chair!"

"Okay, I'll tell you what chair I want. I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the Moon. And when the US hockey team beat the Russians in the '80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I'd fallen asleep in front of the television. Y'know I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It's only a chair."

Totally agree. A home is what the homeowner makes of it. I appreciate any home that is clean and organized, regardless of the paint colors or the height of the wall art.

I will say one thing that kind of sicks me out is carpeted bathrooms and carpeted entry ways, both found more in older homes (mostly, I've noticed, in colder climates). I think this falls under the "clean" part of my statement above. Entry ways are dirty, dirty areas and bathrooms, well, need I say more? Both are places where carpet does not belong in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh lots of things bother me. The DIYers who buy cheap junk materials from the big orange who only wants their little green then install it themselves and the lack of workmanship is very hard not to laugh in their face. But they are so proud they did it themselves. Little to their knowledge everyone is pointing and laughing.

And those who have white kitchens because there were several pictures in the magazine of such so they think it's "in style". Despicable! Or worse yet....painting cabinets.

I love the amateur paint jobs. Not a straight line in the whole room. How about the patch jobs on drywall Joe handyman homeowner does? Looks like the Atlantic Ocean on a windy day. Or the Joe handyman tile jobs without a straight seem in the room.....oh but Home Depot had those tiles on sale for 99 cents each!!! How bout those $4.99 curtains from Walmart?

While these are not necessarily decorating issues but rather people trying to save a few pennies but lowering the value of their homes with shoddy work.
Some people do the handyman thing not to save money but because it gives them pleasure to do it - it's their hobby. My husband is one of them. It's funny because a couple of times I hired a professional to do a job because my husband was either busy or deployed. My husband had to re-do at least two of those jobs because the sloppy work drove him absolutely nuts every time he looked at it.

It doesn't matter if the curtains cost $4.99 if they give the homeowner pleasure. It is their home, after all.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
OK some of these things have been mentioned, but these are things that make me cringe:

1. Carpet in bathrooms -NO!

2. Kitchen counters lined with stuff that is hardly ever used, taking up usable space and wearing me out with the junkiness. PUT THAT STUFF AWAY.

3. Come to think of it, I don't like cluttered counter tops in ANY room - it honestly stresses me out.

4. Using overhead lights instead of lamps. Lamps are so much nicer.

5. Pictures/paintings that are too small for a wall or space.

6. Furniture "lining" walls and rooms with no break. My mother does this. Give her two feet of wall space with some floor at the bottom, and she's going to shove a shelf or a chair or SOMETHING in there.

7. Beds that are never made up. I believe that if I don't make my bed up every morning, I will go to hell if I die that day.

8. Tables that are too big for a space - coffee tables, kitchen tables, etc. Bigger is not always better.

9. I may get harangued for this, but I don't like "themed' kitchens - sunflowers, or owls, or roosters, or little Italian chefs.

10. Matchy matchy sets - all matching coffee/end tables, or a matching bedroom suite that's all the same, or even a matching dining room set. I mean, if you really can't pull "separates" together, I guess it's better to match everything, but I much prefer separate pieces - an eclectic look.

11. One last thing - just about anything that comes from Havertys. I am so tired of that nouveau riche "Italianate" look - all that tortured, twisted wood, and marble tops, and Dorian or Corinthian columns on everything, all that heavy, tacky overwraught furniture. YUCK.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 AM

9,351 posts, read 14,010,665 times
Don't know if someone mentioned this yet, but a guy at work once commented on how his wife liked to put wallpaper on the interior doors. <yuck> My own pet peeve, though, is draperies that are purposely made to 'puddle' on the floor. It makes no sense to me either in practical terms or aesthetics. Plus it cries out to me 'this area is never cleaned!'.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 AM

50,173 posts, read 63,623,198 times
These are great. Keep them coming, everyone!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,108,689 times
This is long thread now so not sure if I mentioned it, but it drives me nuts when people leave the plastic wrap on their lamp shades. My mom does this because it keeps the shade new.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 AM

4,188 posts, read 6,873,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This is long thread now so not sure if I mentioned it, but it drives me nuts when people leave the plastic wrap on their lamp shades. My mom does this because it keeps the shade new.
haha that's great! why not just order it online and keep it in the box it comes in? It will look BRAND NEW for quite a long time that way! :P

Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Well it is obvious that we all have different pet peeves about decorating. I agree with almost all of these. But I will note that DH and I are unexpectedly pleased with the carpet in our bath. The toilet and shower are tiled, but the rest of the bath and closet are carpeted and it feels good on bare feet in the morning.

And I do like a curtain or drape that puddles a bit on the floor.

I haven't encountered plastic on lampshades in quite a while. I thought that practice had died out.

If someone wants to wallpaper his or her walls, or door, I say go for it. But I've decided to never wallpaper another wall as long as I live. I am in love with freshly painted, neutral walls.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,541,930 times
I hate when pictures aren't hung straight on a wall.
Especially when they are in a grouping with one or two tilted. Ugh. I have to either turn my back to it or go fix it.

So distracting......how can the homeowner NOT notice?

I am a fan of wood. any wood with lovely grain, with a nice finish and beautifully taken care of. Wood that is so dry it is crying out for lemon oil makes me ill.

I despise that floating "pergo" type fake wood floor. ugh. it isn't real, and doesn't feel good to walk on. rip it up!

Despise fans with lights hanging from them, any color. Especially when the ceiling is relatively low. ugh.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM

364 posts, read 730,621 times
Art hung at odd heights. There's a reason gallery height is a standard between 55"-60" from floor to center. It just looks right. More important, all pieces in a room need to have the same center point height for harmony.

Art that doesn't mean anything. From college kids with stupid Audrey Hepburn Ikea prints to old couples who buy fake oil paintings at mall art stores. If it doesn't have a story, and if you can't personally connect with it, skip it.

Big ugly oversized traditional furniture. Ridiculous four-poster beds and sofas with more stuffing than Build a Bear. Sectionals in general. Office chairs and ugly computer desks outside of a home office. Wire rat nests. Torcherie lamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating