Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I like some lawn ornaments in my yard, but less is always more.

At least that's what the gargoyle in my flower garden tells me ...
Listen to the gargoyle, he has taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually...I just hung a few sheer panels in my bedroom to frame a 9' window. They look good!
A story about cheap-o shears.

It gets 115 degrees and above where I live. Every year I hang these gosh-awful looking solar space-age-material curtains in my west facing windows to keep the heat down. And so we don't have to turn the A/C way down so we can sleep at night. Which runs the electric bill way up. They make the rooms so dark you have to turn a light on to move around in them at noon.

This year I just hated the thought of having to put those curtains up and have the bedrooms be so dark. So I thought maybe I could hang some dark sheers in those windows for a month or two until it get really hot and I have to put the solar curtains up. Went to WalMart and bought some really cheap navy shears. They didn't really make the rooms very dark so I looped them over the rod so there would be two layers of material.

OMG, OMG, OMG!

Here is is the middle of July and even on those 115 degree days the rooms have stayed cool. They aren't dark like a cave. Light comes into the room. We are even sleeping at night without having the ceiling fans on.

I suppose it has something to do with the double layer of insulation but I don't give a fig about the why. They keep the rooms cool, we are not chewing up electricity, and they look nice!

I am happy. (And it cost me less than 20 bucks .)

Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

and the best thing is when you are sick of looking at them, you can just "chuck them" and not feel guilty !! Love it !!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM

324 posts, read 1,089,454 times
I always think it looks silly when people push all their furniture back against walls and there's a big open space in the middle of the room. Obviously if it's a tiny room, different story.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

It gets 115 degrees and above where I live. Every year I hang these gosh-awful looking solar space-age-material curtains in my west facing windows to keep the heat down. And so we don't have to turn the A/C way down so we can sleep at night. Which runs the electric bill way up. They make the rooms so dark you have to turn a light on to move around in them at noon.

This year I just hated the thought of having to put those curtains up and have the bedrooms be so dark. So I thought maybe I could hang some dark sheers in those windows for a month or two until it get really hot and I have to put the solar curtains up. Went to WalMart and bought some really cheap navy shears. They didn't really make the rooms very dark so I looped them over the rod so there would be two layers of material.

OMG, OMG, OMG!

Here is is the middle of July and even on those 115 degree days the rooms have stayed cool. They aren't dark like a cave. Light comes into the room. We are even sleeping at night without having the ceiling fans on.

I suppose it has something to do with the double layer of insulation but I don't give a fig about the why. They keep the rooms cool, we are not chewing up electricity, and they look nice!

I'm excited to report the same here! My son's bedroom as a south and west facing windows. The sun just beats on his room all day long. This spring, he picked out dark sheers to replace broken "room darkening" blinds. They are sort of a burnt red/brown/cream paisly pattern. It's amazing the amount of light these sheers let into the room without it getting hot from the sun!

Although I bought an extra set of cream sheers to put underneith (for exterior asthetics), we never got around to hanging the second layer. That tells me that it has more to do with the dark sheers providing "shade" than it does the layers for insulation. Then again, the extra outer layer in cream could provide additional insulation and reflect the sun away too. I'll add the second layer and see if it helps reduce the temp even more.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

OMG, OMG, OMG!

You go, Girl.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:48 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
OK, so since I'm the OP, I respect your choices, as long as they don't involve fake flowers, verticle blinds, or lawn ornaments.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Some decorating mistakes that make me crazy include:

Bubble sofas - not sure what the name is but couches that have three bubbles of fabric or leather. Many are sectionals, and although they originated in the 1980s they persist today. Some have a place where one can Keep a sixpack of soft drinks or beer. They may be comfortable - they are UGLY!

Too much matching - sets - ie living room, bedroom etc.

ANY THING LAMINATE!!! Such as a dining room "set: with those skinny chairs made out of black lacquer. Uggh!!!!

People who decorate as though all of their furniture needs to be a brand name or from an upscale store. If you are buying a room - it shows.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Stenciled writing on the walls! Like, "Live, Love, Laugh"... they should add "puke" to the end! Or dried flowers hung on the walls. Barf! An overdone country theme with chicken wire and roosters everywhere. Or I have a friend with the same furniture from her first home in 1990... and it was hand-me-down then! Plus nothing at all on the walls, that are all white but now beat up. I don't think she's a very visual person lol!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Stenciled writing on the walls! Like, "Live, Love, Laugh"... they should add "puke" to the end! Or dried flowers hung on the walls. Barf!
I agree with the above !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating