Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM

114 posts, read 849,833 times

Advertisements

Trying to diy here with our 1926 bungalow. The prior owners actually glued carpeting over the tile in the bathroom, and well...it's got to go.

The carpet seems like it might be fairly east to peel back, if not cut up.

How hard is it to remove tile from a floor?

Has anyone done this themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
How hard is it to swing a sledge hammer?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Is that what it takes? I have no idea here. Sounds like fun

Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
A rotary hammer with a chipping bit should be adequate and easier to handle (especially in small area).
You can buy a pretty good one for about $300... or rent it for the day.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,029 times
We actually did this last year...had crappy 6" white tile in foyer (somewhat large area) put down on cement slab. Now, I consider ourselves self-doers. However, this is one job I would never do again. It was labor intensive, messy and overall hard. On top of that, since we were putting down hardwoods in its place, we had to make sure the surface was as smooth as possible. Wasn't easy. Can't tell you how many trips we made to Home Depot looking for something, anything, to rent that would help. Nothing was perfect. If you are going to just put carpet back down, won't be as bad. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How hard is it to swing a sledge hammer?

That will do the job in a small area.

It isn't a terrible job but it is messy and the tiles can be sharp. Make sure you wear jeans/pants and be careful when you pick it up. The first time I broke up a tile floor I wore shorts and ended up with little cuts all over my legs. Then again I can get pretty wild with a sledgehammer It's great fun if you are frustrated, lol.

If there is a lot of mortar/thin set left on the floor after you remove the tile you can either chisel it up or grind it down.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM

40 posts, read 190,723 times
The difficulty is in the origional installation... if your tile is set on Deck Mud then you should get a rotarty hammer drill and chip the tile up like recomended in a previous post. Don't sledge hammer on deck mud because you stand a chance of cracking the slab which will be good to retile on, unless if you want to go to the subfloor then sledg away

Todd Stull
Enola, PA

Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 PM

240 posts, read 807,788 times
I ripped out some horrible 1980's peach colored tile out of a small bathroom. It is labor intensive and I definitely advise wearing safety goggles or even a full face mask. I used a sledge hammer to start then moved on to this tool Home Depot sells called a....Floor Bully (something like that). It is a really messy job but you can do it.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
It is pretty labor intensive. I also agree wear safety goggles. Tile is freaking sharp! It flies and will cut you. A while back hubby and I were watching some DIY tv show. I can't remember the name of it but it was basically people not knowing what the heck they were doing. So they start breaking up their bathroom. The woman walks in with a hammer and starts slamming the wall with it. Hubby and I were just remarking how stupid that was (because of experience) and a moment later the woman was holding her face. When she looked up at the camera she had a huge gash on her cheek. The people had to stop the demo and take her to the ER for stitches. You can do this but it will take a while and do it safely!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 AM

A neighbor advised using a towel over tile, and then begin hammering away, then chisel. But I'm beginning to think this might be worth paying a pro to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating