Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:13 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

HGTV is the enemy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
HGTV is the enemy!
Just once, wouldn't you like to see the family walk into one of those off-the-wall makeovers and hear them say, "OMG, how ugly is THAT????"" or words to that effect.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I personally prefer black, but it all depends on what your kitchen looks like. Our kitchen has somewhat darker colored tile, and medium-tone wood cabinets, and the black looks great. White would stand out too much. You know what your kitchen looks like, and if you think white would look better, then go for it!
Agreed. I have cherry cabinets, and my black appliances look much better against them then my neighbors with the same cabinets and stainless appliances.

And I went with a cream colored sink, because white would have been glaring and a black sink with the black appliances would have been too dark. I chose Corian instead of granite, and have mixed feelings about it, but I'm not sure I'd go with granite. I had a tile counter in one of my previous homes, and as long as the grout is sealed, that's a great option and something I might consider should I ever decide to replace my kitchen counter.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
One thing appliance buyers should consider: do you plan to keep your house longer than the lifespan of the average appliance? If there's even a tiny chance you'll sell, get stainless or even stainless-look. Realtors will tell you it is by far the most popular choice of today's home buyers -- especially first-time home buyers. I read an article online in which a survey company said more than 50% of homebuyers wanted the stainless look, black was second, white was third, and almond/bisque wasn't even mentioned. The percentage for stainless favor grew as the age of the buyer went down.

In the seller-unfriendly housing market we are in, it's always better to have the thing that is most popular. Which is why many people put granite in their kitchens even when they don't like it. It's a sale magnet. Just watch House Hunters on HGTV -- some people will not buy a house if the counters aren't granite. The really young people often equate white appliances with "old." I've heard many buyers on that show see white appliances and just say flat out, "The appliances have to be replaced. Factor that into the offer." And the appliances could be practically new and the non-granite counters could be perfectly attractive. Go figure.
sigh, sigh, sigh (and I am not even selling a house!)

why not say "first time home buyers who just left the royal castle they were living in?"

We have been discussing this (ssteel) over on the TV forum... I cannot understand why in the world someone who is spending big bucks in a house cares so much about something that is ridiculously easy to replace such as countertops and... appliances! Call the store and they come install new ones and even haul the old ones out for you.

I strongly disagree that someone buys a house already thinking about selling it, so the (easily fixable!!!) features are not for this buyer but for the next one in line!
There are people who look at counters and say "Is this granite? If it is not, I don't want it, I want granite!" They don't even know what granite is, but they want it bc everybody else has it! Talk about having a personality...

Equating white appliances with old ones is ridiculous, imo. Otherwise, go to appliance stores and they have a bunch of "old stuff" for sale, yet it is all brand new... I would tell a buyer who factors perfectly working appliances replacement into the offer to pound sand... tbh I wouldn't even hear the offer.

These people will ditch ssteel if the next trend is purple appliances with yellow polka-dot stickers. Buy what YOU like, forget about trend followers.
I would prefer white appliances; black ones are cool too, even though they tend to "darken" the kitchen (especially small kitchens) which might be a visual no-no in terms of rooms looking smaller.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
sigh, sigh, sigh (and I am not even selling a house!)

why not say "first time home buyers who just left the royal castle they were living in?"

We have been discussing this (ssteel) over on the TV forum... I cannot understand why in the world someone who is spending big bucks in a house cares so much about something that is ridiculously easy to replace such as countertops and... appliances! Call the store and they come install new ones and even haul the old ones out for you.

I strongly disagree that someone buys a house already thinking about selling it, so the (easily fixable!!!) features are not for this buyer but for the next one in line!
There are people who look at counters and say "Is this granite? If it is not, I don't want it, I want granite!" They don't even know what granite is, but they want it bc everybody else has it! Talk about having a personality...

Equating white appliances with old ones is ridiculous, imo. Otherwise, go to appliance stores and they have a bunch of "old stuff" for sale, yet it is all brand new... I would tell a buyer who factors perfectly working appliances replacement into the offer to pound sand... tbh I wouldn't even hear the offer.

These people will ditch ssteel if the next trend is purple appliances with yellow polka-dot stickers. Buy what YOU like, forget about trend followers.
I would prefer white appliances; black ones are cool too, even though they tend to "darken" the kitchen (especially small kitchens) which might be a visual no-no in terms of rooms looking smaller.

Good Post, I am with you on this!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 13,898 times
I used to live in an apartment with Oak cabinets and darker laminate, with all black appliances. and it looked nice and clean. I vote black.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just detest my black appliances. Every little speck of dust and fingerprint shows.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,877 times
If you are downgrading the countertops, downgrade the appliances...go with black

Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVaandelay View Post
If you are downgrading the countertops, downgrade the appliances...go with black

HOW is black appliances downgrading.

Kinda like the dumb ass thing on HGTV that if you don't have SS you must UPGRADE to them.

No matter what color the outside, they all cool the same.

any rocket scientist knows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating