Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,964 times

Advertisements

I have never seen a window arrangement like this and I've been in hundreds of houses and apartments. The window placement is off balance. I second the idea of putting a cellular shade across the top of both windows. This way if you need extra light you can raise the shade and if you don't want to look at the mismatched windows just lower the shade over both windows. Personally I would choose a more opaque shade once again to hide the windows.

I would, if space and traffic flow allows, place a table, chest or something similar directly underneath the windows under the sills. Place accessories such as photos, lamps or whatever you like and place the tallest ones under the shortest window to balance and even hide the disparity in window heights. Don't use too many accessories because it will add just more clutter. Keep it simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
I have never seen a window arrangement like this and I've been in hundreds of houses and apartments. The window placement is off balance. I second the idea of putting a cellular shade across the top of both windows. This way if you need extra light you can raise the shade and if you don't want to look at the mismatched windows just lower the shade over both windows. Personally I would choose a more opaque shade once again to hide the windows.

I would, if space and traffic flow allows, place a table, chest or something similar directly underneath the windows under the sills. Place accessories such as photos, lamps or whatever you like and place the tallest ones under the shortest window to balance and even hide the disparity in window heights. Don't use too many accessories because it will add just more clutter. Keep it simple.
I like your solution here.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would treat the "transom" and the top portion of the window as one, with a long rod and valance.
I think that would look strange. A valance would completely conver the transom and simply make it appear as if the OP put a valance extending past the window and over the door. I think the OP would do best to simply put curtains on the window and leave the transom alone. The purpose of a transom is to let light into a room.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM

345 posts, read 993,991 times
I would put one rod across the top of both windows to connect them visually, and have the valance end just above the door because you don't want to interfere with the door movement. You could add a floor-length drape over the right window if you need more color. Instead of the long drape on the right window, you could add color by adding art to the walls that relate to the valance over the windows.

As to your question about matching the drapes of these windows to the windows in your living area, I would not match them. They are two spaces, so I think drapes for each area would help define each area. Having said that, if the kitchen and living area windows are within 20 feet of each other, I'd use fabric that would complement each window.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
I would put one rod across the top of both windows to connect them visually, and have the valance end just above the door because you don't want to interfere with the door movement. You could add a floor-length drape over the right window if you need more color. Instead of the long drape on the right window, you could add color by adding art to the walls that relate to the valance over the windows.

As to your question about matching the drapes of these windows to the windows in your living area, I would not match them. They are two spaces, so I think drapes for each area would help define each area. Having said that, if the kitchen and living area windows are within 20 feet of each other, I'd use fabric that would complement each window.
She could get hardware that opens with the door and just put a valance on the door. It still say take out the window and just leave the door.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
I would definitely not cover the door and would put a simple covering on the window. Plantation shutters or linen pull down shade in a neutral color....or install a door that opens from the opposite side and place a piece of furniture under the window that will visually cover the wall area under the window and hide the fact that the window and door are two different heights.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:27 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Since privacy isn't an issue, I would not put anything on the door or the transom. For the window to the right of the door, I would put a pair of sheer panels either in white or a complimentary color to whatever is to the right of that window. Keep it nice and simple.

The treatment-free door and transom could serve as a separation between the two area. Valences can make a home look dated so if you want the house to look fresh, I would stay away from them.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:55 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Since privacy isn't an issue, I would not put anything on the door or the transom. For the window to the right of the door, I would put a pair of sheer panels either in white or a complimentary color to whatever is to the right of that window. Keep it nice and simple.

The treatment-free door and transom could serve as a separation between the two area. Valences can make a home look dated so if you want the house to look fresh, I would stay away from them.
Looks like you replied to a spammer's resurrection of a 15 year old zombie thread!

Old 03-25-2024, 05:58 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Looks like you replied to a spammer's resurrection of a 15 year old zombie thread!
I hate when that happens! It came up on my screen bolded which usually means it's new

Old 03-25-2024, 06:43 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Now that's resurrected, I'll chime in and say the architect that did that oughta be ashamed. Or more likely a DIY homeowner. Probably cheaper than a door with side lights, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating