Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

There were houses built in Mission Viejo, CA in the 70's that had orange sinks in the bathrooms. (Can't remember if the loos were orange too.) I often wonder if any of the houses still have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and the giant wooden "fork and spoon" hanging on the kitchen wall....unfortunetely the spoon had met my tush, more times than I care to rememember !!!!
What was the deal with the big fork and spoon? Did they give them away in the '70s lol? We had them, so did my grandparents.

We had avacado green walls in the living/dining room with dark green carpet and the sofa/chairs were a green and gold plaid design. Then the obligatory big mountain scenery painting over the sofa that my mom got from one of those "starving artist" sales at a nearby hotel ball room. Oh, and then the genie bottle lamps. It was hideous!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Lol~ My dad worked for ma Bell in the 70's later became AT&T ! My dad would bring home these spools of copper wire that were coated in plastic and different colors, us kids would make ear rings, rings out of it. On cold nights my dad would toss a few spools into the fireplace it caused red, orange, green, pink and Purple flames..Thinking back this was not probably real smart! Can we say "TOXIC"!... We also had strobe light you hooked up to the stereo they flash different colors to the beat, the five of us kids would zone out, sit there for hours in a hypnotized state! The folks must been in heaven~..LOl

What I miss most about the 70's??? You didn't know everything was going to kill you!...

Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Lol~ My dad worked for ma Bell in the 70's later became AT&T ! My dad would bring home these spools of copper wire that were coated in plastic and different colors, us kids would make ear rings, rings out of it. On cold nights my dad would toss a few spools into the fireplace it caused red, orange, green, pink and Purple flames..Thinking back this was not probably real smart! Can we say "TOXIC"!... We also had strobe light you hooked up to the stereo they flash different colors to the beat, the five of us kids would zone out, sit there for hours in a hypnotized state! The folks must been in heaven~..LOl

What I miss most about the 70's??? You didn't know everything was going to kill you!...

OMG I havent heard that term since , well, the 70's.........everyone called the telephone company Ma bell...

that was my chuckle for the day, thank you.

brrring !! brrrrring !!!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
and yes, we had the colored wires also, i had a lot of the striped ones and made all kinds of things with them....I forgot about that stuff....

Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
OMG I havent heard that term since , well, the 70's.........everyone called the telephone company Ma bell...

that was my chuckle for the day, thank you.

brrring !! brrrrring !!!

Lol~Yeah we ole school... Happy I made someone day~ I'll be 48 this coming B-day~~

Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
and yes, we had the colored wires also, i had a lot of the striped ones and made all kinds of things with them....I forgot about that stuff....
LOL!! We had tones of that stuff laying around..I bet they lock one up for that today~....

Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think ruffled, criss crossed, tied back curtains were in that era, too.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:32 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Someone mentioned the "mushroom" decor and that brought back memories. My mom had our whole orange and avocado green kitchen decked out in the Mushroom decor from Sears. We had the canister sets, salt and pepper shakers, curtains, kitchen towels, even refrigerator magnets...

My walls were covered, ceiling included, with Osmond posters for a couple of years. I had a bedspread that had different colored peace signs all over it and said things like "POW!" and "WOW!". My Mom made curtains to match the bedspread that alwo had peace signs all over it, and she trimmed it with those pom poms!

Our neighbors next door had what was at the time considred the "country" look, in '70's style. I remember they had wall paper with pictures of Revolutionary War soldier scenes all over it. Their kitchen wall paper had pictures of old farm utensils like coffee grinders, etc. They had hard-wood floors (most people had carpet then) with those rope rugs thrown everywhere.

Great memories...

Old 08-21-2011, 07:41 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Someone mentioned the "mushroom" decor and that brought back memories. My mom had our whole orange and avocado green kitchen decked out in the Mushroom decor from Sears. We had the canister sets, salt and pepper shakers, curtains, kitchen towels, even refrigerator magnets...

My walls were covered, ceiling included, with Osmond posters for a couple of years. I had a bedspread that had different colored peace signs all over it and said things like "POW!" and "WOW!". My Mom made curtains to match the bedspread that alwo had peace signs all over it, and she trimmed it with those pom poms!

Our neighbors next door had what was at the time considred the "country" look, in '70's style. I remember they had wall paper with pictures of Revolutionary War soldier scenes all over it. Their kitchen wall paper had pictures of old farm utensils like coffee grinders, etc. They had hard-wood floors (most people had carpet then) with those rope rugs thrown everywhere.

Great memories...
LOL - you have brought up memories I had forgotten - the mushroom decor and yep, everything had to match....actually kind of charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating