U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM

31 posts, read 53,118 times
Default What Kind of Kitchen Faucet to Get?

Going to close on my first home in a couple days, and the kitchen faucet needs to be replaced asap as it drips bad (more of a flow than a drip, lol). Its ugly and I was going to replace it anyway so I might as well just have a new one put in now instead of having the old ugly one fixed.

When I went to the hardware store just browsing for a new kitchen faucet there was quite a selection to choose from. I have never been a homeowner before and feel a bit overwhelmed by the faucets in every finish and material known to man.

So I guess what I'm looking for here is a little advice on what kind of faucet/finish to get. The sink that is in there now is porcelain with a shiny faucet (chrome maybe?), but we are going to have the kitchen remodeled next year and ultimately replace the porcelain sink with a stainless steel sink, update cabinets, counters, etc, and I'd rather not replace the faucet twice and just get a good one from the beginning.

For the faucet I really like the satin-type finishes like the nickel and stainless steel. But I'm planning to put a stainless steel sink in there and I'm not sure how they would look together? Having lived in apartments all my life I've only really had the cheap looking shiny faucets before.

Any advice? Is one type superior to another? Brands? Where to shop for a quality faucet? I am willing to spend a little more to get a quality one that looks great.

Last edited by WantToBuyAHome; 08-11-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,888,644 times
have you considered installing a new washer to stop the leak? If you don't know how google it there are several demos on how to do it. It isn't hard. I would go that route first if I were going to remodel. The new fixtures can be costly so you may as well buy it once and get what you want.

Unread 08-11-2011, 06:26 PM

20,028 posts, read 26,739,403 times
We have had good luck with Delta and their lifetime replacement is awesome.

In the kitchen I would get a higher faucet with a pull out feature (all in one). I REALLY miss mine from our old house. If you get more of a goose neck style, large pans, etc. fit under there easier.

Unread 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM

689 posts, read 854,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In the kitchen I would get a higher faucet with a pull out feature (all in one). I REALLY miss mine from our old house. If you get more of a goose neck style, large pans, etc. fit under there easier.
I agree that you should try to fix the one that's there. You don't want to find out as you're planning your new kitchen that your new faucet is actually not what you want at all and then end up replacing it again.

If you must get one now, I totally agree with golfgal. I love my tall goose neck style faucet with a pull out sprayer. I have a deep, single bowl sink and my biggest stockpots are easy to fill or wash. I can even pull out the sprayer and fill them on the counter. I won't recommend the brand though because I'm unhappy with the soap dispenser that keep breaking and they keep sending new ones, but I do love the faucet.

Unread 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM

1,955 posts, read 4,453,972 times
Ditto on looking into repairing the existing one. Either that, or swap in a $20 faucet, knowing very well that it will be replaced anyways.

Unless you have your new kitchen finish/layout completely planned out already, your new faucet might not work into your new kitchen. It's not like you'll save any on the labor aspect between a mounting a new faucet or remounting an old one, so.

When that time comes, then get a good one. FWIW, I'm more partial to Moen for being made in the USA (even if it's not 100%). That's not saying that the other brands which are imported these days (Delta, Price Pfister, American Standard, etc.) are automatically bad, but they are a cause of why so many Americans are unemployed.

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,345,529 times
Like the others have said it could be a washer issue. When we moved in our bathtub faucet had a drip. A month later it was a lot more. We replaced the washer because we couldn't afford to replace. We did replace our kitchen faucet cuz it was ugly.

So here are some tips in case you may not know. The first thing to consider is if the sink has 3 or 4 holes. This will be important on selecting the type of faucet you want. If it has 3 holes then you will not have the option of a separate sprayer. Some don't care about a sprayer and some do. If you have 3 holes then you can opt for a faucet that has a sprayer built into the faucet. I have been a homeowner several times over and I can tell you what I prefer and the reasons why.

I like goose neck wide spread faucets for a 4 hole sink. A sprayer is important to me. Goose necks are good for filling pots. They are easy to get a pot under the faucet especially if you do not have a deep sink. I also like the wide spread because kitchen sinks get nasty and I find the wide spread mount is easier to clean around the faucet handles plus they are a classic design. I had a faucet that had a built in sprayer. Basically you pull the faucet part out and it becomes a sprayer. They are nice and give a better spray than the smaller separate option but I didn't have good luck with them. The button that changes the faucet from regular to spray always seem to break on me. Then it meant a whole new faucet vs if a separate sprayer breaks, then you can replace it.

Goose neck Wide spread faucet with sprayer. Requires a 4 hole sink.

Pull out sprayer. You only need a 3 hole sink for this.

As far as worrying about whether the faucet will work later depends on what is favorite type of finish. I like rubbed bronze so when we replaced our beat up white faucet, I went with a rubbed bronze to match the cabinet hardware. I have a white sink. If you have a stainless steel sink and would more than likely get another, then a satin nickel faucet will look nice. If you currently have a 3 hole sink and would want a 4 hole sink in the remodel then it might be better to wait on replacing the faucet. Congrats on your new home!

Unread 08-12-2011, 07:32 AM

689 posts, read 854,946 times
In the above photo, there are separate hot and cold water handles. Mine has one handle attached to the side of the faucet so I only need one hole, which I think is easier to use when your hands are icky. I use 3 holes, one for the faucet, one for the soap dispenser and one for the filtered water faucet. Keep in mind the number of holes in your sink. I don't know about porcelain sinks, but for stainless ones, you can get a matching hole cover if you don't need all the holes. Not 100% attractive, but effective.

Unread 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM

5,060 posts, read 9,871,794 times
I would definitely not want a separate hot and cold water for a kitchen sink and I think the fewer the holes to clean around the better. Here is the faucet we had installed almost 3 years ago - it still looks brand new and we've had no issues with it.

http://www.homeperfect.com/delta-989-ss-allora-single-handle-pull-down-kitchen-faucet-in-stainless-steel.html?source=nextagcse (broken link)

Unread 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,345,529 times
Everyone has their preference. It's good so the OP can consider everyone's experiences before he/she purchases.

Unread 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM

5,060 posts, read 9,871,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Everyone has their preference. It's good so the OP can consider everyone's experiences before he/she purchases.
I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating