U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM

185 posts, read 366,276 times

Advertisements

As you can tell from the title we are doing our own DIY kitchen remodel. Yes, daunting but prepared and pretty handy. Just closed on a house with an awful oak kitchen/laminate counters and it is making my skin crawl. Not in our budget to hire someone so we are taking on the task ourselves.

Looking for suggestions for cabinet makers. Located in Chicago but have found a few online that are not local but will ship. Any favorites? We are doing cabinets, granite and new appliance package. Floors are wood so are fine and no reconfiguration of floorplan needed, just replacing everything.

We have a number in mind but out of curiosity what do most of you feel this will run us if you figure a standard 10x10 kitchen with an additional wall of cabinets (a side by side cabinet with a cabinet above fridge). Looking for 42" cabinets in shaker style white/off white painted wood, 1 1/4" granite w/ stainless undermount sink and most likely a GE appliance package. So a fairly basic kitchen.

We have a granite connection as well as our aunt works for Sears corporate and we can use her discount for about 35% the appliances. So our biggest expense will be cabinets it seems. Thanks for suggestions and tips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 PM

10,440 posts, read 47,558,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
As you can tell from the title we are doing our own DIY kitchen remodel. Yes, daunting but prepared and pretty handy. Just closed on a house with an awful oak kitchen/laminate counters and it is making my skin crawl. Not in our budget to hire someone so we are taking on the task ourselves.

Looking for suggestions for cabinet makers. Located in Chicago but have found a few online that are not local but will ship. Any favorites? We are doing cabinets, granite and new appliance package. Floors are wood so are fine and no reconfiguration of floorplan needed, just replacing everything.

We have a number in mind but out of curiosity what do most of you feel this will run us if you figure a standard 10x10 kitchen with an additional wall of cabinets (a side by side cabinet with a cabinet above fridge). Looking for 42" cabinets in shaker style white/off white painted wood, 1 1/4" granite w/ stainless undermount sink and most likely a GE appliance package. So a fairly basic kitchen.

We have a granite connection as well as our aunt works for Sears corporate and we can use her discount for about 35% the appliances. So our biggest expense will be cabinets it seems. Thanks for suggestions and tips.
Doing it yourself? EEEEKKKSSSS!!!! That makes my skin crawl. Don't mind me. Over the past million years I never seen one DIY kitchen look reasonably good. I have answered your question many times on here if you wish to perform that daunting task of searching. If not I will just touch on each of your quesitions.

Brand....look at Merillat Classic and if on a budget look at Merillat Essentials, if your budget is cheaper then free rent then Kitchen Kompact brand is the very best for the money. In Chicago you have many many Merillat stores. YOU MUST find one that discounts from list price which nearly all do. Typically most all cabinet dealers sell for 50% off list price.

The vast majority of people get dollar signs in their eyes at the mere mention of that word "cabinets". That need not be unless they looked at the big box store prices first. Reason is people have been brainwashed into thinking "Home Depot/Lowes" after the word home improvement products. These big box stores do nothing but make a lot of money raping the public. Take cabinets for example. They charge full list price, yes I mean MSRP. That's like paying sticker/window price for a new car. Imagine how stupid that is? And these stores DO NOT employ certified kitchen designers. Instead they give floor clerks a 3 day course on how to sell cabinets. They are cabinet salespeople. Do not ever call them designers. The truth is they are clowns.

Go to a small kitchen dealer where you will find certified kitchen designers. DO NOT buy mail order cabinets, they are all RTAs (ready to assemble). These will always be cheap dangerous Chinese made sulfur and formaldehyde infested poison junk which will put your families health at risk. Don't do it. Yea yea yea I know you can buy an entire all cherry wood kitchen for $895.00 but I'm sure your life and kids health is worth more then that.

You have a friend in the biz. If I had just one cent for every time I heard that I'd be........well. Don't take their price as gospel. Again, stay clear of Chinese granite precut preformed junk. Granite is not even a good choice anymore. The new generation of counter top materials blow granite away in the dark ages. Not if you ask a Realtor though. Are there any of those left in this economic depression?

She works for Sears? Holy shid they charge more then any big box store as they typically charge about 30% above list or MSRP for home improvement products. If the big orange stores are rapists then Sears are cold blooded murderers. Don't do it. Hurt your Aunt's feelings and laugh all the way to the bank while doing so. There is a granite store on just about every street corner, almost as many as pizza parlors and nail salons. Sears will get you for about $100 SF while any granite store will be around $31 SF for the good material.

No one here can give you a price. If they do then click on the next post. You gave zero information. There are so very many variables before a price can be given. One variable includes people posting on a PC 3000 miles away from your kitchen. How can they guess? You want a guess? Anywhere from $1000 to $100,000. That ain't being sarcastic. That is the truth. But even a good quality cabinet you should be under $5000 for your size kitchen for the door style you chose in maple. Now start adding goodies and bells and whistles and you can start counting.

Your choice of shaker doors is the best selling style in North America at this time but is dying quickly as any other fad. It's still in though. Your color is horrible and was in style when your grand parents were young. I found only 7 people in the world who like white and they all post here. Shades of white are still selling but brilliant white, most major cabinet manufacturers have discontinued it all together as they only account for 2% of total sales in USA and Canada. Realtors report buyers walking away from homes with white kitchens.....well....because they are ugly. Dark is in. Dark maple with mocha is very very in right now and showing no signs of dropping. The old myth of dark color don't belong in a small kitchen is no more. Go for it.

Don't waste your money on cherry during these depression times because your home is just depreciating like an automobile is. Oak is out of style but maple is a great choice, especially with a cherry stain. Then you can tell all your friends you have cherry but you paid maple price. Don't laugh....they all do it. Don't rule out hickory but many people do not appreciate beautiful wood despite what they tell us.

And good luck

Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 AM

I would like to say that you were helpful but you were not. You should not have even wasted your time responding. Not sure why you are so bitter. But you are wrong about white/off white cabinets. In fact I am a realtor but not offended by your comment and yes still doing well thank you. I am not looking for bright white cabinets but an off white cabinet and they are most certainly a classic selection, even very "trendy" right now. Though that is not why I am choosing that look. Have you walked through any high end kitchens lately? I am talking multi million dollar homes with top, top of the line kitchens? Yep, white all day long. Perhaps in your market they are not common but in mine they are.

The aunt is offering the discount on appliances not granite. I am not an idiot. And yes, I know someone in the "biz" and will not get raped.

I have full confidence in my husband to install our kitchen as we have done 2 in the past that were gorgeous. You must be a contractor of some sort trying to discourage the DIYer is my guess.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,198,827 times
Have you thought about local cabinet makers? I have a friend who had her cabinets designed and constructed by a local cabinet maker (very good reputation)...the company also installed the cabinets. They were the most gorgeous cabinets I've ever seen - and custom made to fit the kitchen perfectly. They also made an island that was fabulous.

At the same time we hired a kitchen design firm to do a total kitchen remodel.....my friend's custom cabinets were about the same price as our semi-custom cabinets that were made in another state and shipped to our home. Her cabinets were also finished and installed before ours were.

So, you might do some research and see if you have a good local cabinet maker.

Depending on how extensive your remodel is, I do think it is worthwhile to hire a good kitchen design firm for a consult. They will sit down with you and discuss your likes and dislikes, give you ideas about the latest kitchen products that only people in the trade are likely to know, give you good suggestions about the design of your kitchen and draw up plans for you. I defintely think it is worth paying the consult fee when you are doing an extensive kitchen remodel.

By the way, what you say about white kitchens being popular in high end homes in your area is also true of our area as well. I love white/cream cabinets.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-01-2011 at 06:45 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 AM

10,440 posts, read 47,558,437 times
Quote:
I would like to say that you were helpful but you were not. You should not have even wasted your time responding. Not sure why you are so bitter. But you are wrong about white/off white cabinets. In fact I am a realtor but not offended by your comment and yes still doing well thank you. I am not looking for bright white cabinets but an off white cabinet and they are most certainly a classic selection, even very "trendy" right now. Though that is not why I am choosing that look. Have you walked through any high end kitchens lately? I am talking multi million dollar homes with top, top of the line kitchens? Yep, white all day long. Perhaps in your market they are not common but in mine they are.

The aunt is offering the discount on appliances not granite. I am not an idiot. And yes, I know someone in the "biz" and will not get raped.

I have full confidence in my husband to install our kitchen as we have done 2 in the past that were gorgeous. You must be a contractor of some sort trying to discourage the DIYer is my guess.

Thanks for the tips.

I am not wrong. If I was then I would have not say anything. Does that make sense? If you didn't want to know the truth then why ask? Yes I did waste my time apparently. Millions of my readers enjoy my advice on this forum as well as another and lets not forget my web site which I spend more time answering kitchen questions then you spend sleeping.

Yea I'm a contractor who lives 3000 miles away and I'm soliciting you. That makes sense. Nothing could make me want to go to Chicago. Not your kitchen and not 100 kitchens. Besides, I don't remember one discouraging comment in my post. Just facts. When I state opinions I say it's my opinion. When it's a fact, you better believe I know what I'm talking about. You don't know me and that's fine. If you read you would since I write my facts in American trade journals and sell my published book on affordable DIY design through outlets such as Amazon. But if you think (key word, "think") I don't know what I'm talking about then good for you.

I wish you lots of luck. Ignore everything I told you. I beg of you. And don't ask questions if you really don't want to hear the answers. Go take the advice of the uneducated minimum wage clowns at Home Depot who's only home improvement experience amounts to hanging a curtain rod for Grandma.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks Cattknap. No, I haven't given too much thought to a local cabinet maker. I guess in my mind I always thought they would be rather expensive but I will check a few out. Seems like it may be the way to go. Since we lost so much money on the sale of our home and then making this purchase we thought doing it ourselves would save us some money. I am a perfectionist and know what I like and would never in a million years take on this project if I did not think we could excute it.

As I mentioned I am in real estate (as is my husband) in a fairly high end market and see this stuff everyday so I feel I know what I am looking for. Plus my best friend is a designer and she will be helping. In my opinion it is not an extensive reno (in my mind that would be knocking down walls, moving appliance loacals, etc) this is just a "replacement" of existing kitchen as I like the layout. I will take your advice and check out a few local cabinet makers. Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:20 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,351,869 times
I can rattle off names of custom kitchen shops in the Chicago region --DeGiulio, Cheryl Daugvila, Joliet Cabinet, Brakur, Pyramid, Rymar and more. Not uncommon for the bill from such shops for cabinets alone to have busted into the six figures when times were booming.

Many of the high-end production cabinetry places (pedini, crown point, plain&fancy, omega) still have price lists that would make any one that isn't a hedge fund manager decide cardboard boxes are their only option.

Lately the smaller shops that work harder to deliver quality are beating the pants off the places that got used to folks swallowing inflated prices. One of the best is P&B Woodworking of Homer Glen. Husband & wife team with "old country" work ethic.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 AM

596 posts, read 1,614,529 times
Quote:

Run, don't walk to Cabinets-To-Go!

They have all-wood European-style cabinets withe the glide-close feature and actual dovetail joints in the drawers as well as other high end features.

Check out the Malibu White collection which would seem to fit your criteria.Cabinets To Go | Kitchen Cabinets - Malibu White

They're priced regularly at $1792 for 10 feet of upper and lower cabinets, but have a sale going on now for even more off.

The Chicago area store is in Elgin. Cabinets To Go -- About Us

Good luck with the project!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,198,827 times
I emailed Cabinets to Go inquiring as to whether their cabinets were made in China - here is the reply:

Hi Cattknap

Thank you for your inquiry. Our wood is harvested in N American and then shipped to China to be manufactured. If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Comments.: Are any of your cabinets made in China?

Sylvia A Abbott
Call Center Leader - 902
12023 Arrow Route
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-04-2011 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 PM

Yikes, I def do not want cabinets that were made in China. Ihave heard of Cabinets to go but they are a true build out cabinet. We are hoping to find something already assembled. Thanks Cattknap for checking this out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating