Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
That's good to know. Will your contractor do the space plan for you and order the new fixtures? If so, I'd say you are good as long as you complete the planning phase before moving into demo.
Yeah - he's drawing something up as we type. He's not sure about budget though...he seems to think it's doable.

I'm most concerned about the "back door" issue chet brings up though...would it be THAT bad to close up the back door, and add french doors to the rear of the adjacent dining room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
If your contractor is doing a floor plan, he should be considering traffic flow and be able to speak to any concerns about re-routing traffic through another room. Just raise the point with him and have a dialog about it. I'm assuming here that he is a talented contractor with a decent design sense. Some are, and some are not.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response.

1 & 2. Back door/sliders - the rooms are very small in the house - the back door would really just be "moved" 8 feet over from where it currently is, not eliminated. It would be in the small dining room, not the kitchen. What about french doors over sliders? The "secure" issue was something I mentioned to him as well...

3. Would it be just as difficult if the window fit the width of where the door previously was? That's where the window would go.

4. Interesting take. So you'd say he would be better off going with laminate or spend the extra for granite then...

5. He already has a hot water unit in the house, not steam. There is also a pellet stove in the fireplace.

6. If you think tile is bad, what's your suggestion? Hardwood is expensive and linoleum isn't the nicest...
There is vinyl out there now that looks exactly like tile or wood, much easier upkeep than either, not to mention less expensive.
You mentioned that the house is a 30s Cape Cod.
Has the rest of the house been modernized, or does the house still have its original feel?
If the house hasnt been completely modernized, your friend would do well to keep in mind the vintage feel of the house.
I cannot tell you how many older homes I have seen that have been completely ruined by the owners putting in a contemporary kitchen.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah - he's drawing something up as we type. He's not sure about budget though...he seems to think it's doable.

I'm most concerned about the "back door" issue chet brings up though...would it be THAT bad to close up the back door, and add french doors to the rear of the adjacent dining room?
Traffic flow really needs to be considered, will the table have to be negotiated around?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
If your contractor is doing a floor plan, he should be considering traffic flow and be able to speak to any concerns about re-routing traffic through another room. Just raise the point with him and have a dialog about it. I'm assuming here that he is a talented contractor with a decent design sense. Some are, and some are not.
Sorry, we must have been typing the same response at the same time.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Has the rest of the house been modernized, or does the house still have its original feel?
If the house hasnt been completely modernized, your friend would do well to keep in mind the vintage feel of the house.
I cannot tell you how many older homes I have seen that have been completely ruined by the owners putting in a contemporary kitchen.
The house is pretty much in its original state.

Quote:
Traffic flow really needs to be considered, will the table have to be negotiated around?
There is not enough room for a table in the main kitchen area. I'm drawing a quick map in painbrush so you can get an idea...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Okay, this is what he wants the finished product to be...currently the counter stops next to the stove, leaving very little counter space.

thoughts, ideas, criticisms...
Attached Thumbnails
New Kitchen Help-floorplan.bmp  

Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Okay, this is what he wants the finished product to be...currently the counter stops next to the stove, leaving very little counter space.

thoughts, ideas, criticisms...
Thanks, its really hard to help without a floor plan.......question.....
Where is the dishwasher going to be located?
Is your friend planning on having barstools where the L is separating the kitchen/ DR?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, its really hard to help without a floor plan.......question.....
Where is the dishwasher going to be located?
Is your friend planning on having barstools where the L is separating the kitchen/ DR?
Re: dishwasher - He currently doesn't have one, but would you suggest he put the DW where he was planning on putting the fridge, and put the fridge at the other end of the kitchen?

Re: barstools - no, i don't believe so.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Re: dishwasher - He currently doesn't have one, but would you suggest he put the DW where he was planning on putting the fridge, and put the fridge at the other end of the kitchen?

Re: barstools - no, i don't believe so.
As far as plumbing ease, yes, I would put the DW where the fridge is.....if your friend ever wants to sell this house, a DW is going to be one of the first things a buyer will look for.
Are you speaking of putting the fridge at the other end of the L, where I asked about barstools?
If that was going to be open, thats an issue....how about where the stair wall is?
It could be incorporated with the pantry wall......does that make sense?
I see it in my mind, sometimes thats hard to convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating